Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
You are never wrong by doing whatever the LORD JESUS tells you in HIS WORD. No arguing here, just a different opinion. But as I said in my first post, "I'm marked" now.
Hehe, no brother, I'm totally cool discussing this. I'm not out to hunt down people that disagree. I'm just sharing my take on things.

You see, I understand how we have liberty and all that. I just know first hand and therefore can attest to the harm these books can cause to young people. I want to do everything I can to make sure that other Christians know that I fell prey to the seduction of the occult because of my exposure to books that make wizards/witches/magic/etc sound interesting/safe/good etc. Also, I personally know others that were lead to the same end by the same means that I was. So shouldn't we ask ourselves if this is indeed something we should encourage others to participate in without any sort of warning? Don't we owe it to the young in the faith, and age, to guide them away from the hazards that are avoidable, especially those that the Lord our God calls an abomination?

Peace and Love,
Stephen
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 11-19-2008, 04:15 AM

Not sure how to delete a post. So, I guess I should use this post to say something on topic... hmm... ... .... I give up.

Peace and Love,
Stephen
Old 11-19-2008, 09:22 AM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta Ride View Post
4. I read a lot of fiction, and some of you might not approve of some of it. (None of it is occult stuff.) But I'm a grown man, and I know what I'm doing. The Narnia and Potter books are terrible stuff, because they're aimed at kids. If I were a pastor, I'd preach against them; but I wouldn't discipline a church member who read them, or gave them to his/her children.
Perhaps part of the potential danger with works by Lewis and Tolkein is that people insist that these are "Christian allegory." I have always thought this was absurd and baseless.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:48 AM

Right on target, Steve.

Some years ago I listened to a study by James Knox (Deland, FL). He exposed how the "innocent" cartoons and fictional stories are really preparation for the future. I learned something that day that I've never forgotten, and now this truth is plainer and plainer. The visible signs and wonders that will deceive many are already being implanted and accepted within the minds of 2 year olds on up by way of these TV cartoons, video games, fictional stories, etc.

When one watches closely (with spiritual eyes), the subtle implications by the god of this world and the prince of the power of the air are countless. I despise the world's entertainment, especially when Satan tries to destroy the minds of my children using cartoons. I then become (to careless Christians, and worldly) the big "intolerant" meany for denying my children these "innocent" funnies.

The attack is not only aimed at children. Notice how in all sitcoms whenever a "preacher" or religion is inserted into a scene, it/he is always Catholic. Why? Someone's getting this world ready for the future, that's why. Anything close to a Bible preacher is portrayed as a nutcase screamer who is quickly mocked. Did you ever notice that?

This just scratches the surface of what is going on right under our noses, and even in our homes . I'm not hung up on conspiracies and those things, but this in one that is sure and you'd better be ware.

II Cor. 2:11 Lest Satan should get an advantage of us: for we are not ignorant of his devices.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJBPrincess View Post
Wow, I think that was the best post in this whole thread, Here Am I!
Thank you.

I've been listening to a lot of good preaching lately, including what the role of a pastor is.

Pastors are to teach and lead, they are not there to play 'Holy Ghost', telling people what they should or shouldn't read, that should be up to God.

It's like some preachers take it upon themselves to dictate to the flock what is acceptible and what is not. They can get very legalistic.

If a pastor helps the congregation grow closer to God, He'll handle the haircut/pants/TV issues.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here Am I View Post
Thank you.

I've been listening to a lot of good preaching lately, including what the role of a pastor is.

Pastors are to teach and lead, they are not there to play 'Holy Ghost', telling people what they should or shouldn't read, that should be up to God.

It's like some preachers take it upon themselves to dictate to the flock what is acceptible and what is not. They can get very legalistic.

If a pastor helps the congregation grow closer to God, He'll handle the haircut/pants/TV issues.
Right, I had a pastor like that at one church I attended. The congregation was weak spiritually, but they had all their standards lined up the way the pastor said they should.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:54 PM
Steve Schwenke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here Am I View Post
Thank you.

I agree with you 100% - and that is how I have pastored and ministered for the last 18 years. I believe in free will, soul liberty, and Christian Liberty. But when the word of God is crystal clear on a subject, I preach against it. Then it becomes the duty and obligation of each congregant to heed what the word of God says, search the Scriptures to see if these things are so, and then take action on it.
I can't force them to do anything. All I can do is preach the Bible.
There are a lot of things I don't preach on - like pants on women. It is not in the Bible - the Bible tells women to dress modestly. Period. That's all. That is what I preach - modesty.
But to lump sorcery/witchcraft et.al into that same category is ridiculous and unscriptural. The Bible speaks very clearly about it. It is an abomination.

In Christ,
Old 11-19-2008, 03:01 PM
Steve Schwenke

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJBPrincess View Post
Right, I had a pastor like that at one church I attended. The congregation was weak spiritually, but they had all their standards lined up the way the pastor said they should.
Right on - even though we are diverting from the topic here. Christianity is not a list of do's and don'ts. The "list" mentality leads to spiritual weakness, mindless obedience (almost cultish), and self-righteousness.
Phil 3:8 says "that I may win Christ" and v. 10 says "that I might know him." This is the goal for my own personal life and the life of our church members. Paul forsook the "list", counted his self-righteousness as dung, and strove to know Jesus Christ.
The more one learns about a person, and the more one loves a person, the more they come to learn what that person likes and dislikes. In this type of relationship, a person will quickly forsake the things that their loved one dislikes (and even hates) and will do more and more of the things that person loves.
We cannot love God and hold to things He calls an abomination at the same time. It won't work. It is not about a list - it is about identifying things that God loves - as specified in the Scriptures - and then forsaking those things that God has specifically mentioned as things He hates.

Magic is one of those specific things He has listed.

In Christ,
Old 11-19-2008, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Schwenke View Post
Phil 3:8 says "that I may win Christ" and v. 10 says "that I might know him." This is the goal for my own personal life and the life of our church members. Paul forsook the "list", counted his self-righteousness as dung, and strove to know Jesus Christ.

In Christ,
Amen to that, Pastor Steve. I hear your heart. Preach Christ! I am not too proud or too calloused to confirm, He's still working on me. "Purging and pruning." We are on the same side, dear brother.
Romans 12:1-2 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:55 PM
Steve Schwenke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
Amen to that, Pastor Steve. I hear your heart. Preach Christ! I am not too proud or too calloused to confirm, He's still working on me. "Purging and pruning." We are on the same side, dear brother.
Romans 12:1-2 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
Thanks, Forrest. Onward! Forward!