Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:54 AM

Default Psalm 83:3

Psalm 83:3 They have taken crafty counsel against thy people, and consulted against thy hidden ones.

I know the difficulty in studying Hebrew Poetry. but this part of the verse is something I have been trying to get a grasp on who it is. they people was straight forward as in most uses of they people it is Israel. but who are the "hidden ones"?

Is the writer expressing here that which is still in the loins of the people: that is the unborn ones? and is using the term hidden ones as a synonym or figure of speech?

Could it be a synonym for invisible beings unseen by the natural eye? we know they take counsel against God who is hidden to their eyes. for in verse 5 we have an understanding that they take a confederacy against God not just his people.

Could it be it is speaking of the prophets hidden in a cave during the Time of Elijah?

any helpful thoughts?

Last edited by chette777; 04-28-2009 at 02:12 AM.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 04-28-2009, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chette777 View Post
Psalm 83:3 They have taken crafty counsel against thy people, and consulted against thy hidden ones.

I know the difficulty in studying Hebrew Poetry. but this part of the verse is something I have been trying to get a grasp on who it is. they people was straight forward as in most uses of they people it is Israel. but who are the "hidden ones"?

Could it be a synonym for invisible beings unseen by the natural eye?
Two thoughts spring to mind when I read the verse chete777. First Paul's point in Romans 9 :6 For they are not all Israel which are of Israel.
Secondly the Reformers concept of the "Invisible Church" They whom God can see which are not visible to us whilst on earth.
"Thy People" as you say is Israel. The "Hidden ones" would then be the Elect.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:21 AM

As near as I can tell, it means those in Gods care. They are taking council against the nation as a whole, and also his anointed (elect remnant).
Old 04-28-2009, 07:39 AM

Default In God's Care

I agree to what Bro. Samuel statement that it refers to those in "In God's Care". Specifically this refers to the following:

1. God's People. v.3

Psalms 83:3 They have taken crafty counsel against thy people, and consulted against thy hidden ones.

Psalm 83 was something about a prayer for God's enemies to be "confounded and troubled" (v.17) and that God would not hold His silence (v1). The confederacy aligned against Israel includes Edom, Moab, Hagarenes, Gebal, Ammon, et.al (see vv.6-8) and their ultimate goal was to exterminate God's people and to cut them off from being a nation.

Psalms 83:4 They have said, Come, and let us cut them off from being a nation; that the name of Israel may be no more in remembrance.

2. God's Possession v. 12.

Psalms 83:12 Who said, Let us take to ourselves the houses of God in possession.

The armies of the enemy would like also to take in possession the temple of God and may wanted them to be polluted. The temple, including the ark of covenant which was one of the sacred object for the Israelites would be the greatest in possession of the enemies in case the plan would succeed, however God wouldn't allowed this to happened . The Psalm concluded it that men may know that God is Jehovah, the Most High.

Psalms 83:18 That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth.

Jude 25
Old 04-28-2009, 08:03 AM

Psalm 83 is still in effect very much today, you hear the comment about Israel not being a Nation almost weekly. And the statement that Israel, will soon be driven out of the land.
The ending of Psalm 83's destruction of Israel's enemies, is yet, and sure to take place.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
Psalm 83 is still in effect very much today, you hear the comment about Israel not being a Nation almost weekly. And the statement that Israel, will soon be driven out of the land.
The ending of Psalm 83's destruction of Israel's enemies, is yet, and sure to take place.
The massive attacked by the Palestinian Liberation Organization (PLO) or the Hammas are a clear indications to the hatred among the Jews. Psalm 83 can considerably a Prophetic message against God's Enemies...
Old 04-29-2009, 03:22 AM

Pro 28:12 When righteous men do rejoice, there is great glory: but when the wicked rise, a man is hidden.

I think i have to agree with Samuel. It fits the context and seems to imply that God will hide the righteous from the wicked when He so sees fit.