Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:55 PM

Amanda, I do like you.
Quote:
Kinds reminds me of the ole Southern "bless their heart"...LoL One can say whatever they wish as long as you end it by saying "bless their heart"
You are way off there. I'm the furthest thing from a southern bell you could ever meet. I don't mean to insinuate anything. If I do, call me on it. I don't ever want to be that way. I don't think you deal in insinuations, either. You are straight forward that's why I like you even if I don't agree with you on some things.

Quote:
Forgive me. Perhaps you'd like to show me the bigger picture. Feel free when I offer my simplistic posts to either pass over them or bring me alongside..."Now Amanda, you've got some good points but let me show you the bigger picture" I welcome you to.
You seem to be accusing me of being proud and arrogant. Why? Because I have a different perspective than you? And because I come out and say what I think? Because I don't have tact? I never said you have simplistic posts. I think you are very smart and very knowledgeable. I've noticed you aren't shy about your opinions, either. You seem more than able to defend yourself. So what's the problem?

I think you're great. I don't have a lot of guile. I'll answer your other points when I can, tonight or tomorrow night. You taught me some things and I can see you have a lot more you can teach me, if you want to. I look at myself as sort of a misfit in the "christian community". I learned everything I know from reading my Bible and from my husband, with virtually no contact with the "christian community". I find my husband and myself agree most with George's and Tony's viewpoints. Not that they are quite the same. I am thrilled that you joined this forum. You just don't get to come in with your guns blazing and not get challenged, that's all. You'll find I am very willing to concede something when I can be proven wrong.

Jennifer
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 07-20-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Kinds reminds me of the ole Southern "bless their heart"...LoL One can say whatever they wish as long as you end it by saying "bless their heart"
You are way off there. I'm the furthest thing from a southern bell you could ever meet.
True, wasn't labeling you as a southern belle but it did remind me of that

Quote:
I don't mean to insinuate anything.
No, I was trying to lighten the post. It's sort of a joke around here that you can say "bless their heart" and the gossip or bad mouthing will be totally looked over. I thought the same about the don't take offense comment. It is so hard sometimes to communicate feeling in writing but the LoL was intended to try and communicate that. I am not one that would "LoL" in a mean spirited manner

Quote:
I never said you have simplistic posts.
No but in my intro thread I admitted that I tended to being simplistic. I realize you possibly haven't read that post. Sorry

Quote:
You seem to be accusing me of being proud and arrogant. Why? Because I have a different perspective than you? And because I come out and say what I think?
Again, an attempt to be light, and I wasn't totally in jest. You stated I sometimes fail to see the bigger picture which suggests you do see the bigger picture sometimes. I am apt to bunny trail or try and discuss one small point rather than the the bigger picture as you suggested. Feel free to steer me back around to the topic at hand and I will follow

Quote:
You just don't get to come in with your guns blazing and not get challenged, that's all.
LoL That's true I totally laughed out loud because I certainly don't picture myself that way although my husband tended to agree

Be blessed!
Old 07-20-2009, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Interestingly I have heard this quoted a time or 2 in defense of marrying an unbeliever in attempts to win them to the Lord.
I believe you are mistaken if you're insinuating that's how this verse was used in this thread by either George or myself.
Oh not at all! In my lifetime, not on this forum. Sorry for not being clearer
Old 07-20-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Again, an attempt to be light, and I wasn't totally in jest. You stated I sometimes fail to see the bigger picture which suggests you do see the bigger picture sometimes.
I believe I do. I need my big picture to be filled in more. George and others here help me with that.

Quote:
I am apt to bunny trail or try and discuss one small point rather than the the bigger picture as you suggested. Feel free to steer me back around to the topic at hand and I will follow
Someone who responds sentence by sentence is alright in my book. It keeps me from getting too confused!
Old 07-20-2009, 09:45 PM

My
Quote:
Smarts is not always discernment. Don't take offense. I like you a lot. But from what I've read you don't always look at the big picture.

I had to laugh at myself. I really don't have any tact, sometimes. LOL.
I can see where that southern belle comment came from, although I think they are much more nimble in their phrasing. Sorry.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:03 AM

Greenbear,

I asked a couple of questions in a previous post and you had stated you would get back with me in a bit, and that's ok. I know we're all busy But meanwhile I had one more thought.

One thing that continnually comes up in discussions on here is if Paul didn't say it to us specifically, it doesn't apply...While I certainly don't argue with the dispensational aspect of that line of thinking, I do think that Paul was trying to make it easy on these Christians who just couldn't get it right...

1  And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ.
2 I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able.

But as one grows in Christ, reads and studies their Bible they are able to discern better and get to more meatier issues and by comparing Scripture with Scripture understand these things.

I find it very interesting that you seem to have come up with a new philosophy on whether or not it is wrong to marry an unbeliever when quite honestly I know of absolutely no Bible Believer or teacher at any time in history ever teach it so. Correct me if I am wrong.
Obviously it matters not what man thinks or teaches but I do believe it is worth considering.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:36 AM

Curious...What does one do with this verse?

I Peter 3:7 Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered.

And then in Phil. 4:3

And I intreat thee also, true yokefellow, help those women which laboured with me in the gospel, with Clement also, and with other my fellowlabourers, whose names are in the book of life.

A yokefellow is a fellowlabourer in Christ who's name is in the book of life.

Whether or not there is an explicit command it certainly is not a stretch to take all these verses and put them together and form the belief that it is not good, a sin even, to marry an unbeliever.

Again, if one has done so then seek not to be loosed but abide. I see it no different than any other sin, one that will be forgiven but you will have to give an account of it.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda S. View Post

Ignorantly married a lost person...sure, I'll give you that.

Willfully? James 4:17 comes to mind.
I know of at least 2 women who ignorantly married unbelievers. They were going to church. Professed belief. After marriage the husbands stopped going to church and said there is no God. One is being divorced by her husband and the other has to sit through shows about how Jesus was just a person. Both do their best to obey the Bible and fulfill their roles as laid out.

Both were pretty thoroughly duped by the men as were everyone in their lives because they played the role well till soon after they got married. I suppose there had to be signs, but even the "pastors" were fooled.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Greenbear,

I asked a couple of questions in a previous post and you had stated you would get back with me in a bit, and that's ok. I know we're all busy But meanwhile I had one more thought.

One thing that continnually comes up in discussions on here is if Paul didn't say it to us specifically, it doesn't apply...While I certainly don't argue with the dispensational aspect of that line of thinking, I do think that Paul was trying to make it easy on these Christians who just couldn't get it right...

1  And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ.
2 I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able.

But as one grows in Christ, reads and studies their Bible they are able to discern better and get to more meatier issues and by comparing Scripture with Scripture understand these things.

I find it very interesting that you seem to have come up with a new philosophy on whether or not it is wrong to marry an unbeliever when quite honestly I know of absolutely no Bible Believer or teacher at any time in history ever teach it so. Correct me if I am wrong.
Obviously it matters not what man thinks or teaches but I do believe it is worth considering.
Quote:
Where did you come up with that? Please show me where I have seemed "to have come up with a new philosophy on whether or not it is wrong to marry an unbeliever"?

I have given my understanding and my arguments from scripture. Please reread this thread and the Biblical Marriage thread and tell me where I came up with some new teaching that it's God's will that we marry unbelievers.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Greenbear,

Quote:
Then we agree that we are to rightly divide the scriptures. I would never never never never never say that only Paul's words apply to christians. If we correctly understand what the church is and who we are in Christ (which we mostly understand from Jesus' direct revelation of His gospel of grace to Paul) then we can have discernment as to what words in the rest of the Bible we are to apply to our selves and our lives and the whole body.