Current Events Current events, including politics and culture.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:31 PM
Rightful_Thinking

Adding some more...

#1 -- I don't know the group consensus here regarding illegal immigration, but deportation was up 63% here in Georgia and in the Carolinas in the 12 months ending in October, including some rather bad characters. In Atlanta, we're thrilled to see them all go. [Unfortunately, deports might slow down if our Prez2B follows through on allowing drivers licenses to illegals.]

#2 -- Georgia remains a red state. There were many who predicted we could flip-flop blue! Of concern though is the outcome of the congressional race here. It looks like it could be a run-off. Pray!

#3 -- Blue Bell Ice Cream is on sale at Kroger for $2.99/gallon. Save $3+!!!
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 11-06-2008, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightful_Thinking View Post
Adding some more...

#1 -- I don't know the group consensus here regarding illegal immigration, but deportation was up 63% here in Georgia and in the Carolinas in the 12 months ending in October, including some rather bad characters. In Atlanta, we're thrilled to see them all go. [Unfortunately, deports might slow down if our Prez2B follows through on allowing drivers licenses to illegals.]

#2 -- Georgia remains a red state. There were many who predicted we could flip-flop blue! Of concern though is the outcome of the congressional race here. It looks like it could be a run-off. Pray!

Yay on #3!! I'm not sure I can make it to Georgia to take advantage of that deal though...
Old 11-07-2008, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Adding some more...
We have a place called Braums that has even better ice cream, but Blue Bell is good stuff. Oklahoma is home to a Blue Bell Creamery. You can go in for tours. Admission is a couple of bucks and includes a free scoop of ice cream.

Looks like they also have a Creamery in Texas and Alabama.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:28 PM
Rightful_Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeByrd View Post
We have a place called Braums that has even better ice cream, but Blue Bell is good stuff. Oklahoma is home to a Blue Bell Creamery. You can go in for tours. Admission is a couple of bucks and includes a free scoop of ice cream.

Looks like they also have a Creamery in Texas and Alabama.
I lived in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma for 8 years, so I'm well-aware of Braums. And that wonderful eggnog they offer this time of year!!!
Old 11-07-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
I lived in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma for 8 years, so I'm well-aware of Braums. And that wonderful eggnog they offer this time of year!!!
Braums is sooo good. You know they have branched out to neighboring states. You can now find them in Texas, Arizona, Missouri and Kansas.

That is good to know. I've had a craving for eggnog lately and I have not tried their eggnog yet. I'll have to give it a try once I have someone to share it with so I don't drink it all or have it go bad. I'm the only person in the house that drinks it. Diligent calls it Egg-nauseous.

I just looked it up and Eggnog has quite the interesting history. And to tie all of this back to political in some form:

Quote:
Our first President, George Washington, was quite a fan of eggnog and devised his own recipe that included rye whiskey, rum and sherry. It was reputed to be a stiff drink that only the most courageous were willing to try.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:46 PM
Rightful_Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeByrd View Post
I've had a craving for eggnog lately and I have not tried their eggnog yet. I'll have to give it a try once I have someone to share it with so I don't drink it all or have it go bad. I'm the only person in the house that drinks it. Diligent calls it Egg-nauseous.
Even those who don't care for eggnog like Braums eggnog!

And you might as well run out and buy some jeans in a larger size.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:38 PM
Grumpy Hillbilly

One day it will fall into the ocean...
Old 11-08-2008, 02:01 AM
browilder61

OK, stop picking so hard on Cali. I grew up there, from Inglewood, since 1961, and just like it was said. its more than just beaches and amusement parks, at least with the large gay population, they voted against gay marriages, something which a lot out there figured would be the last thing they'd do. BTW there are a lot of good independent baptist churches out there, Chick Publications comes from Cali.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:55 PM
Vendetta Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by browilder61 View Post
OK, stop picking so hard on Cali. I grew up there, from Inglewood, since 1961, and just like it was said. its more than just beaches and amusement parks, at least with the large gay population, they voted against gay marriages, something which a lot out there figured would be the last thing they'd do. BTW there are a lot of good independent baptist churches out there, Chick Publications comes from Cali.
Absolutely right! I spent the first ten years of my life in Los Angeles, and it was a great place to live. Of course, that was nearly fifty years ago....

California is also the state that gave the country Richard Nixon and Ronald Reagan. That oughtta count for something.

Of course, San Francisco (which deserves to be called "San Fransicko," although it's one of the most beautiful cities in the country) and Los Angeles, nowadays, really are the modern equivalents of Sodom and Gomorrah.

Hmmmm .... I guess the state is pretty schitzophrenic. Not like the rest of the country, huh? Not like all those states which elected Nixon and Reagan in landslides, then turned around and elected Obama?

This whole country is, as Ruckman says, "shot through the britches." But there really are some wonderful Christian people in California.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:49 AM
Bro. Parrish

I am currently doing a personal study on Breyer's Butter Almond.

Looks like somebody in California is not happy with the new laws...

In San Diego Saturday, as many as 10,000 people marched from Hillcrest to North Park to protest the passage of Proposition 8.

During a march in Long Beach Friday night, police arrested 15 people on suspicion of inciting a riot for trying to lead marchers off the demonstration's permitted path. A handful of people were arrested for blocking traffic or failing to disperse in Westwood and Hollywood on two previous nights.

Any angry group massed outside the Mormon temple in West Los Angeles Thursday evening to protest the church's support of the ballot measure. At issue is the state's definition of marriage -- a union of a man and woman -- as affirmed by Proposition 8, which passed by a 52-48 percent margin statewide.
http://www.ktla.com/landing_topstori...05&feedID=1198

if this keeps up, you can expect the new White House to weigh in...

"I will place the weight of my administration behind the enactment of the Matthew Shepard Act to outlaw hate crimes..."
President Elect Obama
June 2006, in his open letter to gay voters titled “Obama Pride.”