General Chit-Chat Whatever doesn't fit anywhere else goes here.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:42 PM
DarlovesJesus

Bravo on this topic! I agree with Jerry that it is the music of the world with the label "Christian" attached.

May I also bring up another topic? Matthew 10:8...............freely ye have received, freely give. Am I to understand that this means that these ccm's are not to charge for their music? Not just ccm's but anyone that is making money off of Christianity? Merchandising Christianity? I may not be understanding that correctly.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 02-27-2008, 09:09 PM
jerry

I believe that verse is talking about freely preaching the Good news of salvation. It does not say man cannot earn a living - but that we are not to profit off of the truth. If I write a book or commentary and sell it at cost or a bit above cost to make a living, that is not wrong - if I am suckering people for money or grossly inflating the worth of something, then that is wrong.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:51 AM

Well a cahnged life style should show forth in a changed life. we are not saved to tatoo, peirce and play music that would be detrimental to God or Christ. sinning Christians music i.e. sandi Patti should not be listened to. anything worldly needs to be set aside and stick to spiritual and hymns written by people who are not only led but guided by, possed by and yielded to the Holy Spirit.

all others are carnal. Carnality is outside the will of God for a Christians life. spirituality is in the will of God.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:33 AM
lei-kjvonly

some people tell me that ccm is good Christian music. They also say "who are you to say that those composers are not right with God." I personally have not looked at any of the composers backgrounds. It's like they don't understand that God has certain requirements on how you should worship Him. It's not just the words that matter but also the music. Because I believe all music contains certain spirirts. The question is does ccm invite a immoral spirit? I believe it does. What scripture do some of you know of that outline some music standards?
Old 02-28-2008, 11:42 AM
jerry

Here is something you might appreciate: The Lord Is My Song - dealing more with the content than the style of music.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:13 PM
Jot&Tittle

Default What about God?

What about the kind of music God likes? I believe the Bible speaks to this, has anybody studied it out?

If you look you will discover that almost all of the verses that deal with individuals or small groups singing and making music states that it should be "unto the Lord" or "to the Lord". This should draw one to conclude that music and singing is for the Lord, not for us.

The Apostle Paul:
Ephesians 5:19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;

Colossians 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.

The more I look at the music issue the bigger it gets. Here is a test: talk to the average Christian or lost person about the Bible issue and you'll mostly get indifference. Just suggest to those same people that the music they listen to might not please God and see what happens. Do not proceed lightly!

Jot&Tittle
Old 02-28-2008, 02:21 PM
Pastor Mikie

Jerry, I really am offended you calling charismatics a cult (I'm assuming you mean Pentecostals as well). Is everyone who might disagree on a non-salvific doctrine a cult? I'm just as much a Born-Again believer as you are. I got saved the same way you did. I would appreciate you not insulting me by saying I belong to a cult. I don't say you are a member of a cult because you don't believe tongues is for today.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:27 PM
Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastor Mikie View Post
Jerry, I really am offended you calling charismatics a cult (I'm assuming you mean Pentecostals as well). Is everyone who might disagree on a non-salvific doctrine a cult? I'm just as much a Born-Again believer as you are. I got saved the same way you did. I would appreciate you not insulting me by saying I belong to a cult. I don't say you are a member of a cult because you don't believe tongues is for today.
I just looked through the thread and the article Jerry posted. Where did he call Charismatics a cult? I must have missed something??
Old 02-28-2008, 03:14 PM
Pastor Mikie

Beth, the 2nd post on this thread...listing charismatics with cults like New Age etc.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:06 PM
jerry

I didn't say nor imply charismatics were a cult (though there certainly are groups within that spectrum that fit the bill - such as those that teach Oneness doctrine, Prosperity Gospel) - what I did say is that they teach false doctrine. Be offended if you want (I am not going to change my views just because you are a pentecostal or charismatic - I make no apology for firmly standing against false teachings - see Psalm 119:104, 128) - but make sure you are getting offended at what I actually said.