Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-27-2009, 09:19 PM

Default Did OT Saints look ahead?

I heard another pastor say that OT Saints looked ahead to the cross of Jesus Christ. He also said they KNEW that someday God would send his Son to die and cover all their sins which were being covered temporarily by the bolood of Bulls and Goats. They say, that they understood the scriptures about Christ coming sacrifice for sins that was revealed to them in their time (dispensation).

I have asked them to give me OT verses that prove that they knew about Jesus Christ comeing and dying onthe cross. None have been given. the only ones they give are NT and they out of context. Like Romans 3:25 and saying past meant passover. EEK! the context is of the person at that the time of Paul who beleived (look at the verses before and after) it was for their personal past sins not God passing over the sins of OT saints.

So here is my Challenge. I need OT verses that support these preachers statements that they KNEW clearly about Christ sacrifice to come, God sending his Son. (before you jump to Isaiah you need to remeber what Peter taught - so read it below) that is they were indeed with full knowledge looking forward to the cross of Christ.

Peter tells us they did not understand the scriptures that prophecied of Christ and they longed too and that not even the angels understood by desired too. 1Peter 1:10 Of which salvation the prophets have enquired and searched diligently, who prophesied of the grace that should come unto you: Searching what, or what manner of time the Spirit of Christ which was in them did signify, when it testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ, and the glory that should follow. Unto whom it was revealed, that not unto themselves, but unto us they did minister the things, which are now reported unto you by them that have preached the gospel unto you with the Holy Ghost sent down from heaven; which things the angels desire to look into.

The "prophesied of the grace that should come unto you" is Israel, not church age saints (we were a mystery that peter claimed God was saving them Gentiles just as us Israel in Acts). it the prophecy was not for them in the in their dispensation but for Israel in a later dispensation. The "unto us they did minister the things which ARE NOW REPORTED unto you (Israel)" Again is Jews not church age saints. they did not understand the prophecies.

and what about Noah, was he looking forwardto the cross, or Abraham was he looking forward. where are these verses that show they did that they are quick to claim that supports their teaching. None I tell you none.

Last edited by chette777; 01-27-2009 at 09:31 PM.