Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

View Poll Results: should Christians confess their sins?
yes 18 78.26%
yes
18 78.26%
no 2 8.70%
no
2 8.70%
other please comment 3 13.04%
other please comment
3 13.04%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-09-2009, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chette777 View Post
I am seeing where everyone stands on this issue. if you go to the forum on the lord's supper you will know why I am seeking to find out.

you didn't take the poll. I ask that all take the poll and place a comment. if you don't take the poll don't comment. I left a poll slot for you who don't want to say yes or no it is other
Well brother, I voted in the poll and my comment is there is no Scripture saying we confess sins that have already been forgiven. Confession of any kind to anybody is a work.

Lev. 5:1 And if a soul sin, and hear the voice of swearing, and is a witness, whether he hath seen or known of it; if he do not utter it, then he shall bear his iniquity.
2 Or if a soul touch any unclean thing, whether it be a carcase of an unclean beast, or a carcase of unclean cattle, or the carcase of unclean creeping things, and if it be hidden from him; he also shall be unclean, and guilty.
3 Or if he touch the uncleanness of man, whatsoever uncleanness it be that a man shall be defiled withal, and it be hid from him; when he knoweth of it, then he shall be guilty.
4 Or if a soul swear, pronouncing with his lips to do evil, or to do good, whatsoever it be that a man shall pronounce with an oath, and it be hid from him; when he knoweth of it, then he shall be guilty in one of these.
5 And it shall be, when he shall be guilty in one of these things, that he shall confess that he hath sinned in that thing:
6 And he shall bring his trespass offering unto the LORD for his sin which he hath sinned, a female from the flock, a lamb or a kid of the goats, for a sin offering; and the priest shall make an atonement for him concerning his sin.

Ps 32:5 I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the LORD; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah.

Being outside the Commonwealth of Israel and having received free grace and forgiveness of sin apart from the works of the Law, all my sins past, present, and future have been foregiven.

Ro 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
Ro 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:

Speaking practically, there are many Christians who have sin in their own lives they refuse to acknowledge because they can't accept their sin or they enjoy it too much, let alone "confess". In 99 percent of cases you can pick these Christians out becasue they are always the most active in pointing out your "sins", or what they interpret to be sin.

Ro 4:5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

Col 2:13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;

As Christians today we have one "confession":

Mt 10:32 Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven.
Ac 9:15 But the Lord said unto him, Go thy way: for he is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel:
2Co 5:18 And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;
19 To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.
20 Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ’s stead, be ye reconciled to God.

Why do I have to confess sins that have not been imputed unto me?

Grace and peace brother

Tony
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 06-09-2009, 09:37 PM

In a back-slidden state my sins seem vague and undefined like a giant mass of something that can't taken apart and examined. It's a hopeless proposition to try to confess sins in that state. All you can pray is "Lord, forgive me. Lord, help me." A lengthy, carnal walk causes me to doubt my salvation. I know intellectually I'm saved but I sure don't feel saved. It really is a pit that I fall into.

The closer that I am walking with the Lord determines how defined my sins seem to me. Confessing them isn't like beating my chest or groveling on the ground but more like a quiet, yielding response to His still, small voice. Other times, He causes me to trip, or hit my hand on something, or stub my toe, and I just know He caused it to get my attention. At that moment I realize that my mind was nursing some unforgiveness, or judging somebody, etc. He does this when I'm not within earshot of the still small voice! I'm almost always immediately grateful to the Lord when He does this because I always think of this verse when it happens: Hebrews 12:8 But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.

If any of us had to depend upon confessing all of our sins to be saved we would be without hope.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:10 PM

I'm still studying dispensationalism, reading three books (after I have done my scripture reading), and havn't come across expositions for rightly dividing 1st John ch 1 yet.
I generally understand that a hyper will usually lump Heb-Rev as non-Church Age entirely. Honest dispensationalist will have to admit that there are sections in Hebrews, James, I John and others that should be applied as Church-Age.

My question to Tony is, how do you prove that 1st John chapter 1 does not apply to the church today?
I understand your logic in stating that ALL past and future sins are forgiven entirely at Church-Age saving regeneration, and I agree with that. I also agree that in other dispensations, confession is part of salvation, however not in the Church-Age.
I also understand that we are not confessing continually to get more saved, or maintain salvation either. What most of us here seem to be saying is that confession is something that should be ongoing in the believer's walk after salvation, for spiritual growth.

Another question for Tony (take your time): In your personal walk with God, when you sin, even habitually, how do you approach God with it? Knowing that the sin is not imputed on your account (Ps 32:2, Rm 4:8, Rm 5:13), is there any point whatsoever in even talking to him about it?
And if you do talk to him about it, perhaps asking for help to battle it, doesn't merely acknowledging it to God constitute a confession?

One more thought:
1Jn 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

A Church-Age believer understands that all their sins have already been forgiven, yet there are numerous doctrinally Church-Age admonitions to refrain from sin. Also that "grieve not the Holy Spirit" from Ephesians 4:30 indicates there is a consequence to our sin, even though its not imputed unto us eternally.
Perhaps 1Jn 1:9 is an affirmation to the born-again believer of the promise of God towards His forgiveness. I personally know that that verse encourages me to bring my recent sins to Him in prayer. Rather than wallow in guilt, the conviction of sin drives me TO God in prayer, rather than FROM him in shame. Each time I confess and ask for help with it, then employ His help in turning from the sin which convicts me, I draw closer and stronger in my walk with him.

I hope this post made some sense, and is understood to be sincere.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:52 PM

Tony,

Our walk with the Lord in our earthly bodies is not the same thing as our position in Him in heavenly places. Do you see no role for sanctification of the believer? I think you have such a neat and tidy dispensational framework that you rely on so exclusively that you don't allow yourself to see the real world and the real spiritual world. I see your love for the saints and for the lost and your kindness and your knowledge of scripture but for some reason you are blind in this area, in my opinion.

Jen
Old 06-10-2009, 10:00 AM
Bro. Parrish

BornAgainBibleBeliever,

As you continue to research Hyperdispensationalism, you will learn that in some areas Hypers seem determined (some say obsessed) about instructing believers NOT to do exactly what they are TAUGHT TO DO in their Bibles. Confession is only one example. More here:
http://www.gotothebible.com/HTML/wrongly1.html
http://www.angelfire.com/nt/books/hy...tionalism.html
Old 06-10-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biblestudent View Post
Yes.
I confess my SINS to God.
I confess my FAULTS to a brother/sister whom I have erred against.

I know there are some Protestant "confessionals" going on in Baptist churches and other denominations. Sins are to be confessed directly to God, not to any human priest or Baptist pope. I personally believe that some past sin is better left unsaid (for another person's sake, and not thy own), but all sins ought to be acknowledged before God.
Growing up Catholic, I am well-acquainted with the Catholic idea of confessing sins to a priest. I NEVER felt comfortable with that and it just didn't sit right with me at all. Plus the so-called "penience prayers" also didn't make any sense to me. Saying some rote prayer twice or 5 times - how is that going to help?

So definitely I agree that we are not to use any confessional, no matter what sorts of denominations may be establishing some Catholic-created priest's ability to supposedly LISTEN to and FORGIVE sins.

What do the Scriptures say? Romans 8:34 - "Who is he that comendeth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us."

1 Timothy 2:5 - "For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus:"

So, unlike the old priestly requirements in the Old Covenant, we don't need a priest to cleanse us of our sins, with a sacrificial animal's blood. We now have Jesus - and Paul says in Hebrews 4:16 - "Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need."

So, we don't have to come, hanging our heads with shame and feelings of being UNWORTHY - because Christ died "while we were yet sinners"! And His blood is enough and it makes us WORTHY in the eyes of God (not in our own eyes, being self-righteous) - so we can come even BOLDLY to the throne of GRACE!

Jassy
Old 06-10-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbear View Post
In a back-slidden state my sins seem vague and undefined like a giant mass of something that can't taken apart and examined. It's a hopeless proposition to try to confess sins in that state. All you can pray is "Lord, forgive me. Lord, help me." A lengthy, carnal walk causes me to doubt my salvation. I know intellectually I'm saved but I sure don't feel saved. It really is a pit that I fall into.

The closer that I am walking with the Lord determines how defined my sins seem to me. Confessing them isn't like beating my chest or groveling on the ground but more like a quiet, yielding response to His still, small voice. Other times, He causes me to trip, or hit my hand on something, or stub my toe, and I just know He caused it to get my attention. At that moment I realize that my mind was nursing some unforgiveness, or judging somebody, etc. He does this when I'm not within earshot of the still small voice! I'm almost always immediately grateful to the Lord when He does this because I always think of this verse when it happens: Hebrews 12:8 But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.

If any of us had to depend upon confessing all of our sins to be saved we would be without hope.
I know exactly what you mean, sis!! I don't see past sins as well-defined and no matter how I've tried, in the past, to sort through them and define them, in order to confess them, I still felt clueless. That is why I think the Bible gives this Scripture:

Romans 8:26 - "Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered."

27 - "And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God."

So I don't think we have to beat ourselves over the head and do a WORK of trying to gather up our sins and confess them. But I think, when we are AWARE of sin, and we disregard it and sometimes even knowingly go ahead with it - that needs to be confessed, rather than shoving it under the rug, and being determined not to SEE it. GOD SEES IT... so I do feel that I need to let God know that I did let myself get carried away and fell into sin.

Jassy
Old 06-10-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbear View Post
Sister, the Bible is flat plain in regards to salvation, that what we need to Confess is Christ rather than our sins. This salvation gave us the right relationship with God and this kind of new relationship must translate our learning into living and show by our daily lives that we trust God's Word. Yet, oftentimes we fail him or at faults with others and we need to confess them in prayers to restore right fellowship (1 John 1:9) in this new kind of right relationship. We aren't perfect, only that we are sinners saved by grace.

Romans 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:33 PM

Default I believe the real question is, Do you need to confess your sins to God, Man, or both

Quote:
Originally Posted by chette777 View Post
I would like to see what you all think about this please take poll and give a response. if we sin and seeing our sins are forgiven should we confess them or not?
I believe the real question is, Do you need to confess your sins to God, Man, or both? If you commit the sin privately confess it privately to God, however if you committed the sin publicly it should be confessed to God and then publically.

private sin confess privately

Psalm 51:3,4
3 For I acknowledge my transgressions: and my sin is ever before me.
4 Against thee, thee only, have I sinned, and done this evil in thy sight: that thou mightest be justified when thou speakest, and be clear when thou judgest.

Psalm 32:3,4,5.
3 When I kept silence, my bones waxed old through my roaring all the day long.
4 For day and night thy hand was heavy upon me: my moisture is turned into the drought of summer. Selah.
5 I acknowledge my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the LORD; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah

public sin is subject to church discipline confess publically

Matthew 18:15-18
15 Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother. 16 But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established. 17 And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican. 18 Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

Psalm 66:18 "If I regard iniquity in my heart, the Lord will not hear me:"

As a born again believer, a Christian, I believe

"For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God:" Romans 3:23.

Romans Chapter 3 Paul is talking to Christians. All too often, we take that verse out of context using it with the Romans road to salvation. So do I continue to hide sin in my heart until

"For the Lord himself shall descend from the heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God; and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord." I Thessalonians 4:16,17.
I Believe We Need To Confess Our Sins To Christ Jesus, because

"For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad." II Corinthians 5:10

and

"For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus:" I Timothy 2:5

Furthermore,

I John 1:9 "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

Romans 13:11,12
11 And that, Knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed. 12 The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on the armour of light.

"But grow in gace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To Him be glory for ever. A-men" II Peter 3:18
Old 06-10-2009, 10:53 PM

I agree, Fredoheaven!