Bible Versions Questions and discussion about the Bible version issue.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:00 AM
Mighty Angel

Default Original 1611 King James Bible First Edition

Hi,

The original 1611 King James Bible first edition is available for reading and examining at the following link. To read it, I suggest that you set the page font at 8X. I have been reading through it and it is quite interesting. It is quite a thrill to read the original 1611 as it was printed almost 400 years ago. I have made some observations so far which I will mention later. How many of you have read this early edition?

Joe

http://dewey.library.upenn.edu/sceti...TextID=kjbible
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 08-07-2008, 10:42 AM
Forum Administrator

Good link for those who want to see images of the original 1611 pages. I have a page from a 1611 printing (first printing) with Psalm 138:2 on my office wall.

For those interested in a more easily searchable form of the 1611 edition text, the 1611 edition text has been part of SwordSearcher for several years now.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:12 PM

I have a 1611 Edition reprint, but I got it prior to knowing anything about the Bible debate, different texts and such. It pretty much just sits on the shelf now, I really have no reason study it when God has purified it for me in it's 1769 Edition.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:06 PM
Mighty Angel

Default Marginal Notes

Hi Josh,

Does your 1611 Edition reprint have marginal notes?

I was just looking at Genesis 1 and saw some interesting marginal notes about the literal reading of a portion of the Hebrew text and noted the beautiful way in which the KJV translators rendered the Hebrew idiomatic use into excellent English in the Bible text.

Joe
Old 08-07-2008, 01:33 PM

Yes it does. I'll have to look at that passage tonight and see if mine has the same notes.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:50 PM
Mighty Angel

Thank you Josh. What I was referring to in particular is the following verse:

Genesis 1:4 And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkenesse.

The marginal note reads: Hebr. betweene the light and betweene the darkenesse

http://dewey.library.upenn.edu/sceti...agePosition=77

Joe
Old 08-07-2008, 01:55 PM

This is the copy I have. If you click on "Look inside" it is there.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:16 PM
Mighty Angel

Thank you Josh. It looks the same as far as I can tell, except the original 1611 has Gothic type instead of regular type.

Joe

Last edited by Mighty Angel; 08-07-2008 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh View Post
I have a 1611 Edition reprint, but I got it prior to knowing anything about the Bible debate, different texts and such. It pretty much just sits on the shelf now, I really have no reason study it when God has purified it for me in it's 1769 Edition.
Did you know the 1769 Edition read "Beer-sheba, Sheba" in Joshua 19:2? And that some editions today have "Beer-sheba, and Sheba", while others have "Beer-sheba, or Sheba"?

There are plenty of variations between editions which are based on the 1769 Edition:
http://www.bibleprotector.com/editions.htm

It is true that God did purity the KJB for us to the 1769 Edition, but I believe that He has gone one step further. The solution is to see that God has supplied us with one pure edition which comes from the 1769 Edition:
http://www.bibleprotector.com/purecambridgeedition.htm
Old 08-08-2008, 08:31 AM
Mighty Angel

Bibleprotector wrote: Did you know the 1769 Edition read "Beer-sheba, Sheba" in Joshua 19:2? And that some editions today have "Beer-sheba, and Sheba", while others have "Beer-sheba, or Sheba"?

I have not looked at these variations in editions recently but the original 1611 KJV has "Beer-sheba, or Sheba".

http://dewey.library.upenn.edu/sceti...gePosition=328

Joe