Bible Versions Questions and discussion about the Bible version issue.

Old 02-07-2009, 04:41 PM

Default Awesome is not the same as Terrible

In comparison of the NIV with the KJV, there are many places where the word "terrible" is replaced with the word "awesome" where the word applies to God or some work done by God. This change restricts the meaning, as something terrible is also awesome, but not everything awesome is terrible. This provides for interpretations which conflict with the original meaning and with Biblical instructions to fear the Lord.
"Terrible" describes God as being awesome with great abilities which are controlled and used as He decides without any possibility of manipulation by anyone else.
"Awesome" describes a great and powerful God who can be manipulated. The golden calf made and worshipped by the Hebrews while Moses was getting the ten commandments was awesome, but cattle can be domesticated, made docile and relatively harmless by restricted freedom of movement, physical mutilation, etc. and controlled and manipulated for our own use.
This change in wording changes people's concept of God into an idol consistent with Gnostic belief, which says that the creator god is subject to and controlled by the Goddess Sophia. Pagan religions, witchcraft, etc. think that although "God" is incredibly awesome, it is possible to gain control of "God" by spiritual technology.
The following are some verses where the word terrible has been changed to awesome with reference to God or God's works: Exodus 34:10; Deuteronomy 7:21; 10:17,21; Judges 13:6; 2 Samuel 7:23; Nehemiah 1:5, 4:14, 9:32; Daniel 2:31; Psalms 47:2, 65:5, 66;3&5, 68:35, 99:3, 106:22, 145:6; Job 37:22; Isaiah 64:3.
The following are verses where the word terrible or an equivalent has been left in place when referring to some creations of God, which are apparently to be feared; A worship of the creation over the creator. Isaiah 18:2@7, 21:1, 49:25; Habakkuk 1:7; Job 39:20, 41:14; Daniel 7:7 (this verse refers to the "Beast").
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 02-07-2009, 05:30 PM

I agree, there is a different feeling to both words. To me, the word terrible always implies fear, something dreadful, while awesome is something causing wonderment, or something marvelous. Terrible has a negative feeling, while awesome has a positive feeling (to me).
Old 05-12-2009, 10:42 AM

"Awesome" is not a Bible word.

Did you know that the New Testament teaches, "Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord" (2 Cor. 5:11), and, "And so terrible was the sight, that Moses said, I exceedingly fear and quake" (Heb. 12:21)?

Last edited by bibleprotector; 05-12-2009 at 10:42 AM. Reason: No smilies
Old 05-12-2009, 12:08 PM

Just to expand on that one phrase from above:
Quote:
2 Corinthians 5:10-11 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad. Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord, we persuade men; but we are made manifest unto God; and I trust also are made manifest in your consciences.
Old 05-16-2009, 04:54 AM

I would hope not one of us would ever think we are above trembling at the presence of the Lord. I believe coming into his presence would be a terrifying thing with many levels. Saved men who knew God in the Bible always fell down trembling or in fear in one way or another. Awesome just doesn't give that meaning. I am fully terrified of roller coasters but to look at one doesn't bother me, the awesome designs of a roller coaster impress me but they don't give me fear. but just place me in a a car of a roller coaster and I am trembling before it even starts no matter what the size of one.

Terrible is the correct word and conveys not just terror but reverent respect.

TER'RIBLE, a. L. terribilis, from terreo, to frighten. 1. Frightful; adapted to excite terror; dreadful; formidable.
Prudent in peace, and terrible in war.
The form of the image was terrible. Dan.2.
2. Adapted to impress dread, terror or solemn awe and reverence.
The Lord thy God is among you, a mighty God and terrible. Deut.7.
Let them praise thy great and terrible name, for it is holy. Ps.99.
He hath done for thee these great and terrible things, which thine eyes have seen. Deut