Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:07 PM
Pink Frog

Default Hebrews 10:25

Howdy to all! Anyone care to expound on Hebrews 10:25? (KJV, of course!) I think this verse gives us a lot of good instruction for our Christian walk. It really drives me up a wall at how the modern versions strip this verse of much of its spiritual meaning with "easier understood language." --Just another case in point that God knew perfectly well what he was doing with the King James Bible and we can't improve on perfection no matter how hard we try!
Old 02-08-2008, 10:59 PM
Pink Frog

Having received no reply as of yet, perhaps I should expound on the verse myself. Not because I enjoy talking to myself, but in hopes of envoking a response from someone willing to share his or her thoughts on the subject at hand!

Hebrews 10:25 says "Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching."

More often than not, I've found this verse to be used in conjunction with a pastor's message about the importance of church members attending services on a regular basis. This is certainly a viable interpretation of the verse. I think any born again Christian should have a desire to work in the church he or she has joined and if that desire is truly there he or she will darken the church doors a few more times above and beyond the traditional Christmas and Easter services. I believe in this verse we are encouraged to gather together and in doing so, we can strengthen and encourage one another as Brothers and Sisters in Christ.

Okay, now let's take a look at that same verse in the NIV: "Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another -and all the more as you see the Day approaching."

Surprisingly enough, the NIV seems to have the same "dynamic equivalence" as the KJV. . .is this a score for the NIV advocates?. . . not a chance, Here, I believe, is a perfect example of people trying to discern the Word of God without the aid of the Holy Spirit. I do not believe the KJV is the true Word of God simply because of supporting historical evidence. I believe the KJV is the true Word of God because I have experienced it. Personally, I think it's high time, folks stop just READING God's word and start EXPERIENCING God's word. When that point is reached, a clear distinction between the KJV and ALL other versions will be made. Personally, I like it when God, through his spirit, is able to reveal something that I hadn't previously seen in a passage of scripture. Based on my experience with Hebrews 10:25, the NIV has removed much of the spiritual richness of the verse.

Case in Point:

The KJV says to "forsake not the assembling of ourselves" Consider the word "assembly" and let's go with the following thought, "SOME ASSEMBLY REQUIRED." As Christians, we are supposed to be striving to be Christ-like. Contrary to what some people think, we are not saved and then automatically become a perfect, mature Christian. Christianity is a continual process of growing. Spiritual maturity takes time and effort on our part. II Peter 1: 5-8 tells us "And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue: and to virtue knowledge; And to knowledge temperance: and to temperance patience: and to patience godliness: And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity. . . they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful. . ."

Many times I have purchased an item at the store and the box read "Some assembly required" In order to assemble the item and end up with the desired result I had to FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS. If we expect to reach spiritual maturity and enjoy the blessings of God throughout our Christian life, we must do a little assembling but also follow his instructions while we assemble, else we end up with an undesired effect.

Some products I've bought read "Assembles in 10 minutes." Obviously, this was put on the box to sell the product more easily. Usually these products don't cost much and don't last long because they are really a bunch of junk. I'm afraid that too many times, people are looking for a walk with Christ that isn't going to cost them too much or take up too much of there time (i.e. they don't won't to deny the flesh) and, likewise, they end up with "salvation" that doesn't last very long. "They went out from us, but they were not of us: for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us:" I John 2:19.

Ecclesiastes 10:18 says "By much slothfulness the building decayeth: and through idleness of the hands the house droppeth through." If we do not engage ourselves in a continual process of spiritual growth, we will, no doubt, sit down by the wayside and dry up into such a state that we can be neither help to ourselves or those around us (exactly what Satan wants).

Many people stop coming to church because the "new" has worn off, simply put, they have stopped assembling themselves as God has instructed. Assembling oneself keeps your walk with Christ renewed and exciting. Case in point: Several years ago, our congregation built a fellowship hall. Each week as work progressed, folks would come in excited commenting about, how quickly the walls were going up, how nice the brickwork looked, etc. As long as the fellowship hall was being assemble, folks took notice and were excited to "see what's new." Our fellowship hall has been erected for several years now and, quite frankly, for the past few years I don't recall anyone coming in before service with a comment about what's going on with the fellowship hall. It has became old news, nothing to be excited about. Likewise, I think it's safe to say that I loose my desire to "assemble" with the rest of the congregation when I fail to "assemble" myself by adding to what God has already given me. If I want to be excited about my Christian walk, I need to walk with Christ and allow him to renew me day by day.

Funny how the word "assemble" comes full circle in the KJV. Try to do that with "meeting together" in the NIV

I have finished "expounding". Who's next?
Old 02-09-2008, 01:08 AM
Graceismine

Quote:
Many times I have purchased an item at the store and the box read "Some assembly required" In order to assemble the item and end up with the desired result I had to FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS. If we expect to reach spiritual maturity and enjoy the blessings of God throughout our Christian life, we must do a little assembling but also follow his instructions while we assemble, else we end up with an undesired effect.
What can I say except "that is amazing". I never saw it like that before because it has only ever been used in my realm of people and pastors as a form of manipulation.

Grace
Old 02-09-2008, 07:34 AM
jerry

That passage is talking about gathering together with your local church - other believers - it is in no way referring to you and the Lord putting your spiritual life together. You have taken the Biblical meaning completely out of the passage.

The Strong's definition of assembling means: "from 1996; a complete collection; especially a Christian meeting (for worship)"

1996: "from 1909 and 4863; to collect upon the same place:--gather (together)."

Webster's 1828 Dictionary gives these definitions:

Quote:
ASSEM'BLING, ppr. Coming together; collecting into one place.

ASSEM'BLING, n. A collection or meeting together. Heb. 10.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:40 PM
Graceismine

I know you're right Jerry but I like the idea that Jesus is "assembling" His church. After all He did say He would build it.

Gathering together is assembling the church.

.... Grace
Old 02-09-2008, 09:56 PM
jerry

Jesus is adding to His church - however, that is not what Hebrews 10:25 means or is referring to, though other passages do refer to that.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:45 AM
DarlovesJesus

Where in the Bible does it state that we are to be 'members' of a church? 'People' are the church. Members and assembly are two different things.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:05 AM
jerry

Acts 2. They were saved, then baptized, then added to the church.

Acts 2:41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

Acts 2:46-47 And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart, Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

You may differ on your understanding of HOW someone gets added to the church - but it is obvious it was saved, baptized believers that were members - they did not automatically become members of a local church just upon salvation.

Then in 1 Corinthians 5, it tells us to chastise and put unrepentant members of the church out - can't do that unless there is a clear distinction between those believers that are in a church and those that are out.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:15 AM

The Church really isn't a building or a physical organization, but is made up of truly begotten individuals in whome the Holy Spirit dwells. These people should always strive to assemble themselves together when ever it is possible. As a matter of fact they would really want to. This is how we would grow in grace and knowlege. How else would we really learn to love one another? After all love is one of the fruits of God's Holy Spirit.

Denny
Old 02-09-2008, 11:15 PM
jblm1611

When ever one verse is used to prove something always look to either several verses back or several verses forward. In the case of Hebrews 10:25 the verses before verse 25 the words " let us " is written three times, so the writer of Hebrews is speaking to a group of people. So when we get to verse 25 we should all the more reason " Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together " I don't know about you but it's such a difference being around people that are lost compared to being with other believers in Christ. So if we desire to be uplifted and exhorted, then why do we forsake the assembly of ourselves?