Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:15 PM
jblm1611

When ever one verse is used to prove something always look to either several verses back or several verses forward. In the case of Hebrews 10:25 the verses before verse 25 the words " let us " is written three times, so the writer of Hebrews is speaking to a group of people. So when we get to verse 25 we should all the more reason " Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together " I don't know about you but it's such a difference being around people that are lost compared to being with other believers in Christ. So if we desire to be uplifted and exhorted, then why do we forsake the assembly of ourselves?
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 02-10-2008, 07:22 AM

WOW! You said that so much better then what I was tryng to say.Thanks.

We should always take what a verse says in context. If we only take one verse, then we can make the Bible say almost anything. I believe we have seen that happen way to many times.

Denny
Old 02-11-2008, 12:29 PM
Pink Frog

Thanks to all for the replies, and thanks Jerry for posting the scriptural references relating to church membership. Perhaps that will clear a few things up for some folks.

The Bible says to be "swift to hear and slow to speak" so I have delayed any response that I might not choose my words in haste and cause any unnecessary ill feelings or confusion. I am interested in the reasoning behind the statement that I have completely taken the Biblical meaning out of the passage.

I could see the point if I had some sort of agenda to get around Paul's exhortation to gather as a group of believers, but this is not the case. I stated that this interpretation is a valid one. My second interpretation is IN ADDITION TO, not IN PLACE OF the first. I apologize if this was not made clear.

It is quite obvious to anyone who can read plain English that we are instructed to assemble ourselves as a physical congregation of believers. But if we always limit the scripture strictly to the literal meaning, I am afraid we are sorely limiting God's ability to reveal things to us through his Word. And please don't misunderstand, I'll have to say "AMEN" to what Denny said about taking any one verse out of context and making it say anything we please. It's a sad fact that people today are using God's Word in such a manner. If we all had a nickel for every time that has happened we'd be rich! Interpreting God's word requires spiritual discernment. (I Corinthians 2:10-14). It is very true that people take verses and twist them to say what they want to hear rather than what God wants them to hear, but I think everyone will agree that when this happens, it creates a clear contradiction with other scriptures, in which case the offending party must twist additional verses around. In effect, they have to prop up one lie with another.

I realize that we all aren't going to see every verse in the same light, but for me, When I read Hebrews 10:25 it stresses the importance of me being faithful in gathering with a group of believers and it also stresses the obligation that I, as a Christian, have in striving to add to my faith and become more Christ like, to assemble myself as a soldier for Him, to put on the whole armour of God, and by stepping out on faith and following his spirit, I learn how to use that armour against the "fiery darts" of satan. I believe we have to put forth some effort to live for Christ and that he will bless our efforts. We draw strength from trusting in God and this strength allows us to overcome satan. Satan wants nothing more than for us to stop "assembling" our armory because he knows that's how we overcome his temptations.

I'll be honest, most people will not like what I'm about to say, but too many churches today have lost much of their power with God because their members have stopped "assembling" themselves. Oh, they assemble themselves in the literal sense, but quite frankly, they'd be just as well off to assemble at the Wal-mart to do the week's shopping. (That is, until they get to a place that they are willing to admit that they have strayed from his will, repent and start following after Him) Churches who have power with God have members who live for him and members who live for him look to Him for leadership and guidance and work to add to their faith every day in order to reach a closer walk with Christ. I am, by no means, convinced that God can get full glory from a church full of members who don't strive to live for him. They have a form of Godliness, but deny the power thereof.

In conclusion, if the Bible teaches us that we are to attend church regularly, but doesn't teach us that we are to live a Godly life and work to deny the flesh that we might magnify the characteristics of Christ in our own lives and help to lead others to Him, then yes, I have taken the Biblical meaning out of the passage. Furthermore, with this reasoning, I can also get the fullness of what God intends for me to see in this verse from modern translations which calls into question whether or not God really choose every specific word in the KJ Bible for a reason--which was the original purpose of the discussion: to demonstrate the richness of each and every word in God's Word, the King James Bible, versus modern translations, when viewed with the spiritual eye. And frankly, it doen't matter how pure His word is if you aren't going to be led by Him as you read it. I'm a fallible creature and need all the help I can get so, as for me, I'll take what God shows me and apply it to my life as best as I possibly can. For those who fully trust in Him, He will reveal his scripture in a manner that will meet that person's specific needs at that specific point in their Christian walk. Just because two people don't see scripture exactly the same doesn't mean the Biblical meaning has been removed by one of the parties. Rest assured, God isn't going to show you something that contradicts his word in another place. Anything that God shows you will do nothing but further magnify Him and the rest of his word. Acts 5:38 teaches us that if something be of man it will come to naught, but if it is of God, it cannot be overthrown. I don't believe anything that I said in my second interpretation contradicts any other part of God's Word. If it does, perhaps you can point it out.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:00 PM
jerry

We can't apply every possible definition of a word to its use when we see it. The context determines the meaning or range of meaning. In this passage, the context is referring to assembling with believers.

There is only one primary interpretation of each passage. There are various applications that can be made - but none of them should contradict the plain meaning of the passage.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:22 PM
jerry

It is not an issue of your opinion contradicting other passages - there are places where some of what you are referring to is clearly brought out. However, THIS verse is not referring to that. You can't bring every issue into every Bible passage. This passage is not referring to developing yourself spiritually - other passages are, so let's use those other passages to exhort believers to do so, rather than using a passage that is not referring to it at all.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:28 AM

Just want to share my thoughts:
Heb 10:25
Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

I think doctrinally, Hebrews 10:25 would be something like this:
"ourselves" - primarily Hebrews (Jews)
"the day" - day of the Lord (Isa 2:12; 13:6,9; Jer 46:10; Eze 13:5; 30:3; Joe 1:15; 2:1,11,31; 3:14; Am 5:18,20; Ob 1:15; Zep 1:7,14; Zec 14:1; Mal 4:5; Ac 2:20; 1Co 5:5; 2Co 1:14; 1Th 5:2; 2Pe 3:10); the last day (Ne 8:18; Joh 6:39-40,44,54; 7:37; 11:24; 12:48)
"as the manner of some is" - those "who draw back", did not "hold fast" to the end, and wavered, as well as those who failed to "endure to the end" (Mt. 24:13) and "abide" in Christ (Jn. 15)

On the other hand, it's good practical application to the local church today, that we exhort and visit one another, and remind them not forsake the assembling of ourselves together in fellowship and worship (as the manner of some who quit serving the Lord), as we see Sunday (our agreed upon "day") approaching.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:24 AM
jerry

Quote:
"ourselves" - primarily Hebrews (Jews)
"the day" - day of the Lord
Change ourselves to refer to Christians, and this applies to us today. We are to keep assembling together with unbelievers, especially as we get closer and closer to Christ's return.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:56 AM
Pastor Mikie

Hebrews 10:25 is an exhortation written to persecuted Jewish Christians. That is literally true. However, the verse stands alone in its teaching of Christians coming together. We are social creatures. People withdraw for many reasons, but it is against how God made us. My reason for stating this is to get some feedback about how to answer people who say something like this: "I don't go to church because it's dead" or, "I've got enough of my own problems and don't need more problems", or, "There isn't a decent church around", or, "All they want is my money", or, "I can't find a church that doesn't 'correct' the Bible". Any thoughts?
Old 02-12-2008, 03:02 PM
jerry

Right - that is the specific group it is written to; however, like all other NT epistles, it is also written for the whole church/church age.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:13 PM

Heb 10:25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.
This verse gives us instruction to be in attendance of church meetings. Some argue that this means Sunday morning only and that additional attendance is optional. This is the manner of some. However not forsaking the assembly of our selves and so much the more is the command given here. The words "so much the more" do not mean optional, they mean as much as possible. The verse also commands us to exhort one another to do so. Heb 10:23-37 are all connected by semicolons and comma's, NOT periods, Time not spent joined in fellowship and study of Gods Word is time usually lost to TV, Internet or other idle time that WILL open the door for willful sinning (verse 26).

This is my personal commentary, Andrew

Ps 122:1 ¶ A Song of degrees of David. I was glad when they said unto me, Let us go into the house of the LORD. Ps 84:10 For a day in thy courts is better than a thousand. I had rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God, than to dwell in the tents of wickedness.