Bible Versions Questions and discussion about the Bible version issue.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
If you come visit in Texas, you better bring a baseball bat, a flyswatter won't do the job!
And always keep your windshield washer fluid full when driving too
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 05-27-2009, 01:54 PM

Default Found a footnote!

This is the footnote from the New Scofield Bible pg 116.
"The Hebrew language employs several words to express the idea, to kill. the verb used here is a special word which can only mean murder and always indicates intentional slaying.

I believe this is the reason why the question for the translation to "kill" as inacurate comes up. The terminology they use is "an unfortunate translation or rendering".

They can use this verse from the NT to correct the Ten Commandment.
Mat 19:18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
Old 05-27-2009, 02:31 PM

In the very next chapter of Exodus, God makes the commandment not to kill clear.

Exo 21:12 He that smiteth a man, so that he die, shall be surely put to death. 13 And if a man lie not in wait, but God deliver him into his hand; then I will appoint thee a place whither he shall flee. 14 But if a man come presumptuously upon his neighbour, to slay him with guile; thou shalt take him from mine altar, that he may die. 15 And he that smiteth his father, or his mother, shall be surely put to death.

Note that neither the word "kill" or "murder" is used, but the meaning is clear. These verses show the commandment not to kill means to kill with intent or premeditation.

There are other verses as well that make the meaning of Exodus 20:13 clear. The Hebrews were not confused by this, only those who try to undermine the scriptures.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:04 PM

Thanks Winman for your posts. Your references will be in the margin of my Bible. Thanks.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boaz212 View Post
This is the footnote from the New Scofield Bible pg 116.
"The Hebrew language employs several words to express the idea, to kill. the verb used here is a special word which can only mean murder and always indicates intentional slaying.

I believe this is the reason why the question for the translation to "kill" as inacurate comes up. The terminology they use is "an unfortunate translation or rendering".

They can use this verse from the NT to correct the Ten Commandment.
Mat 19:18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
Matt 5:21Ye have heard that it was said of them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:

But the Greek word is the same.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:29 AM

There seems to be little in the NT regarding killing or murder,most people just quote Matt 5v21. Danger of the judgement. Gods judgement? or mans?
That Doesn't seem as clear as Gen,Exodus,Numbers.

What about executions. I think they should be carried out on murderers. There wouldn't be overcrowding of prisons and there wouldn't be 2,000,000 inmates in the US.

Genesis 9v6,Exodus 20v13,21v12 are clear about killing or shedding another mans blood.

Numbers 35v16-18 thru the end of the chapter. is also clear about what to do with murderers,it seems straight forward to me,but some say that it doesn't apply to us today(OT).

OK,why does Numbers not apply and Genesis,Exodus does? God was speaking to the Israelites in those books,so the argument is with people saying it doesn't apply because of that.

I believe ALL 66 books apply for us today,and No, i do not doubt Gods Word,however it may be a case of not Rightly Dividing,for which i am new.

The nice thing about being King James and not a MV user, is that its settled in my heart what Gods true word is, and i can take that to the Bank!!