Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:21 PM

The best way that I have found to study, is by book, verse by verse. I have been in I Peter for 2 1/2 weeks now, and I'm still in chapter 3.
Just take it slow and find all other verses that support each other, and you will find that the Bible will be the best interpreter.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 12-19-2008, 02:07 PM

In response to George and Scott, I have probably misrepresented myself on this "study/reference" Bible thing. The best reference Bible for me is a Thompson. I stay away from study Bibles pretty much altogether because God is the commentator I am interested in hearing. His word is FINAL imho There might be some historical or trivial data or some such thing in the study notes that interests me. Once long ago there came to me a commentary regarding Jesus and His references to the yoke. Amazing historical stuff. That is the good part of those types of extracurricular information sources.

Matter of fact, I rarely if ever use anything but my TCR text and my Strongs. I was given the "study" Bibles and commentaries. They were gifts, and occasionally I use them, as I do opinions and information on the internet, or ESword on my computer. Again, God is the only authority I recognize.

Call me anything you wish. The only thing I am called that is going to matter is when God calls me "good and faithful servant". It's gonna be a stretch, but I am sure that if I just keep following the instructions in this book...the whole book...I am in there. Thank you, Jesus!!!
Old 12-19-2008, 02:22 PM

brother! The Apostle Paul wanted the Word brought to him in 2 Timothy 4:13, not commentary on it! The Holy Spirit will guide us as we "study to show thyself approved unto God,".
Old 12-19-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve54 View Post
What does this make me? Calvinist? Arminian? Pre or post millenialist? A dispensationalist (John refers to himself as a "leaky" dispensationalist...whatever that means)?

Does it matter and why are people asking me these things? Does it matter that I have been using these study aids? Can anyone give me some insight into this?
Hello Brother Steve. Personally, I cling to the title Christian. "...And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch" (Acts 11:26). The "doctrine" we support and proclaim on this Forum, of course, will indeed label us. I imagine people ask "what we are" because they are attempting to see what we believe. Titles help to identify what we believe.

In saying that, I simply want to be known as Brother Forrest, a man who loves and follows Jesus Christ. We should simply prayerfully listen, diligently learn, passionately love the word, and vehemently loathe false doctrine.

Quote:
I like Scott Swart's comment: The best way that I have found to study, is by book, verse by verse. I have been in I Peter for 2 1/2 weeks now, and I'm still in chapter 3. Just take it slow and find all other verses that support each other, and you will find that the Bible will be the best interpreter.
Saturate your mind with the Bible book, chapter, paragraph, verse, or word the Holy Spirit directs you to. Like sheep, we chew, absorb, store, and then bring it back again to chew some more! If I do not "hear" the Holy Spirit speaking to me in a certain passage, I move on.

I also encourage you to "see" and "hear" the Good Shepherd (the Lord Jesus Christ) in the word. I recommend that you memorize passages of scripture that specifically teach on and exalt the person of Christ; there are many: Psalm 23, Matthew 11:28–30, John 15:1–5, Colossians 2:6–10, and Ephesians 1:15–23 to name just a few.

The benefit of memorizing key scriptures is that you can go over these passages any where and any time. As you quote these passages, and meditate on each word, you will begin to discover new and refreshing insights.

As you fix your mind specifically on Christ something will begin to happen. He will become very real and intimately personal. You will begin seeing Him in the Holy Scriptures. He will become your dearest and closest friend. Each day you will start thinking more on Christ and less on yourself. At night as you drift off to sleep, Christ will be on your mind. When you wake-up in the morning, He will be on your mind. It will soon become a normal and habitual part of your daily life to think on Christ and His fullness.

It is the will of God the Father that Jesus Christ be the central focus in our life. I am not suggesting we abandon the other "doctrines" in the Bible, I am saying all truth is fulfilled in Christ. "For it pleased the Father that in him should all fulness dwell" (Colossians 1:19). "For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily" (Colossians 2:9). In addition, He has the preeminence in all things. He is head of the church. He has a name above every name, every knee will bow to Him; things on the earth (all people), in heaven (all angels), and things beneath the earth (all demons). Christ is the beginning as well as the end, the Creator of all things. All things were created by Him and for Him. He is head of all principality, power, might, and dominion. All power is given to Him in Heaven and in earth. He is Lord of lords and King of kings.

And if we follow the person of, and the example of, the Lord Jesus Christ we will in turn seek the will of God the Father. "Then said Jesus unto them, When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am he, and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things. And he that sent me is with me: the Father hath not left me alone; for I do always those things that please him" (John 8:28-29).

Finally, remember that the Spirit filled life is a life filled with Jesus Christ.
John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

John 15:26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:

John 16:13-14 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.
Sorry to rant...but most of all, we should love Jesus. Everything else seems to line-up when we do.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:05 PM

By the way, the below link is a remarkable tool for Bible study. It was created by our Forum administrator and is trustworthy. I have used it for about 2 months and love it.

http://www.swordsearcher.com/
Old 12-19-2008, 03:08 PM

Amen Forrest!!!! That was a wonderful post!!
Old 12-19-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
By the way, the below link is a remarkable tool for Bible study. It was created by our Forum administrator and is trustworthy. I have used it for about 2 months and love it.

http://www.swordsearcher.com/
I have been using ESword...you think it is better? Since I canceled the Ryrie order I have a couple of bucks saved up to buy my Christmas present to me.

Great post, by the way, Forrest...things I heartily agree with and have certainly experienced before. Another nice thing about the Bible study class here is that everyone has the same textbook. My ladyfriend is in a Bible study where everyone has a different translation. She is going through the muck and mire on that one. I bought her first an NLT Recovery Bible, then a MacArthur NKJV Study Bible...but, she's grown up enough now and I will be passing on my old TCR KJV to her this Christmas. That one comes with notes!!!
Old 12-19-2008, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve54 View Post
I have been using ESword...you think it is better? Since I canceled the Ryrie order I have a couple of bucks saved up to buy my Christmas present to me.
Brother Steve, the "free" trial version gives you a hint...but there is so much more. Check it out on the link and read all it has to offer. For the money, it is an extraordinary deal.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:23 AM

Well, Brother Forrest...if you see my post over at the Leather Bound PCE thread, I just spent God's money on a couple of new Bibles, so, for a while I am going to keep going with my ESword. I did download the trial run program and like it so far. Wonderful program.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:37 PM
Vendetta Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh View Post
Amen Luke. Not sure what the OPs beliefs are, but salvation is by grace through faith alone, and the saved are eternally secure in Christ.
Perhaps my eyesight is deteriorating worse than I thought, but I didn't see the earlier reference to OPs. Are you referring to the Orthodox Presbyterian denomination? If so, I know them well.

I am a "20% Calvinist." I believe that the so-called Perseverence of the Saints is the only one of Calvin's five points that is scriptural. However, it's very scriptural, and is really no different than the doctrine of eternal security. I am a Baptist, but in the early years of my Christian life I was a Presbyterian, and God gave me some great teachers and mentors in that group. Their teachings, I see now, were not always Biblical; but the ones with whom I was involved were evangelistic, zealous for souls, and very much in love with Jesus Christ. Although I no longer number myself among them, I thank my God upon every remembrance of them.

A wise Presbyterian elder, asked if he believed in the Perseverence of the Saints, replied, "No, I don't! But I believe in the perseverence of the Savior!"

I've never heard it put better than that.......