Bible Versions Questions and discussion about the Bible version issue.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:38 PM

Default Question on Acts 8:32

I am going through book of Acts. I am in chapter 8. While going through this passage, I have one question.

Act 8:32 The place of the scripture which he read was this, He was led as a sheep to the slaughter; and like a lamb dumb before his shearer, so opened he not his mouth:

Isa 53:7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.

1.Was the eunuch reading this passage in the Hebrew where it says sheep/her shearers? or lamb/his shearer as stated in the KJB?

I checked with Dr. Ruckman's "Errors" in the KJB so I understand male lamb and female sheep don't bleat. I am just wondering why God made the change going from the Hebrew text to the Greek text?

Thanks in advance for all your help. God bless.
Tim
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 06-01-2009, 05:50 PM

As I see it, the word Lamb does not specify male or female, unless so named.
However Sheep is always used for the female member, while a male is a Ram.
I don't see any change in meaning, only in words chosen by the writer.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:17 PM

Well, to shear means to cut the hair or wool off, it is not talking about killing the animal. I believe this is telling how Jesus would be silent before his accusers.

Matt 26:62 And the high priest arose, and said unto him, Answerest thou nothing? what is it which these witness against thee?
63 But Jesus held his peace. And the high priest answered and said unto him, I adjure thee by the living God, that thou tell us whether thou be the Christ, the Son of God.

Matt 27:12 And when he was accused of the chief priests and elders, he answered nothing.
13 Then said Pilate unto him, Hearest thou not how many things they witness against thee?
14 And he answered him to never a word; insomuch that the governor marvelled greatly.

Mark 14:60 And the high priest stood up in the midst, and asked Jesus, saying, Answerest thou nothing? what is it which these witness against thee?
61 But he held his peace, and answered nothing. Again the high priest asked him, and said unto him, Art thou the Christ, the Son of the Blessed?

Mark 15:4 And Pilate asked him again, saying, Answerest thou nothing? behold how many things they witness against thee.
5 But Jesus yet answered nothing; so that Pilate marvelled.

Luke 23:8 And when Herod saw Jesus, he was exceeding glad: for he was desirous to see him of a long season, because he had heard many things of him; and he hoped to have seen some miracle done by him.
9 Then he questioned with him in many words; but he answered him nothing.

John 19:7 The Jews answered him, We have a law, and by our law he ought to die, because he made himself the Son of God.
8 When Pilate therefore heard that saying, he was the more afraid;
9 And went again into the judgment hall, and saith unto Jesus, Whence art thou? But Jesus gave him no answer.
10 Then saith Pilate unto him, Speakest thou not unto me? knowest thou not that I have power to crucify thee, and have power to release thee?

I think the emphasis here is on embarrassment and humiliation. After all, when a sheep has it's wool sheared off, it is naked afterward.

Here is a video of sheep shearing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCXl39fgmKg
Old 06-03-2009, 03:30 AM

I would see a 1st century Ethiopian reading Greek reasonably.

Whether the "sheep" has a gender assigned or not it doesn't change the meaning at all. Same result.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:04 AM

Default Re; " Question on Acts 8:32"

Quote:
Originally Posted by boaz212 View Post
I am going through book of Acts. I am in chapter 8. While going through this passage, I have one question.

Act 8:32 The place of the scripture which he read was this, He was led as a sheep to the slaughter; and like a lamb dumb before his shearer, so opened he not his mouth:

Isa 53:7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.

1.Was the eunuch reading this passage in the Hebrew where it says sheep/her shearers? or lamb/his shearer as stated in the KJB?

I checked with Dr. Ruckman's "Errors" in the KJB so I understand male lamb and female sheep don't bleat. I am just wondering why God made the change going from the Hebrew text to the Greek text?

Thanks in advance for all your help. God bless.
Tim

Aloha brother boaz212,

The answer is quite simple. The "AUTHOR" of a written work has the "right" to add to; or subtract from; or quote his work in any that way he chooses. {I do it myself quite often.}

Often times when you read Old Testament quotes made by the Lord Jesus Christ or His Apostles in the New Testament you will see slight differences in the wording. Are they mistakes? I trow not. God, in His infinite wisdom, chose the wording (in the New Testament) to either demonstrate or emphasize a point He wants to make to to the reader of the New Testament.

For example:
Quote:
Exodus 20:13 Thou shalt not kill.

Matthew 19:18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
Thus explaining WHAT KIND of "killing" is PROHIBITED in Exodus 20:13.

And again - regarding the worship of God, the Lord Jesus Christ states
Quote:
[“. . . Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.- Matthew 4:10 & Luke 4:8]
A search of the Old Testament indicates that He was either quoting Deuteronomy 10:20 or Deuteronomy 6:13:
Quote:
Deuteronomy 10:20 Thou shalt fear the LORD thy God; him shalt thou serve, and to him shalt thou cleave, and swear by his name.

Deuteronomy
6:13 Thou shalt fear the LORD thy God, and serve him, and shalt swear by his name.
By quoting the Old Testament in the way that He did the Lord Jesus Christ revealed that the worship of God is NOT just "reverential trust" as is taught in the "Christian" Schools around the U.S.A.; but that there should be a definite element of genuine "FEAR" involved when a man (or woman) worships God - that is if we are to worship Him according to the Scriptures, i.e. "in spirit and in truth" [John 4:23-24]

The following verses give additional support for the use of the English word fear in the place of the word worship in certain verses in the King James Bible:

Quote:
Deuteronomy 10:12 And now, Israel, what doth the LORD thy God require of thee, but to fear the LORD thy God, to walk in all his ways, and to love him, and to serve the LORD thy God with all thy heart and with all thy soul,

Deuteronomy 13:4 Ye shall walk after the LORD your God, and fear him, and keep his commandments, and obey his voice, and ye shall serve him, and cleave unto him.

Joshua 24:14
Now therefore fear the LORD, and serve him in sincerity and in truth: and put away the gods which your fathers served on the other side of the flood, and in Egypt; and serve ye the LORD.

1Samuel 12:14
If ye will fear the LORD, and serve him, and obey his voice, and not rebel against the commandment of the LORD, then shall both ye and also the king that reigneth over you continue following the LORD your God:

1Samuel 12:24 Only fear the LORD, and serve him in truth with all your heart: for consider how great things he hath done for you.

Psalms 2:11 Serve the LORD with fear, and rejoice with trembling.
Now brother, don't get me wrong here - this comment is NOT directed at you (because I know that you are NOT a Bible skeptic or corrector); but like I said to begin with: "The answer is quite simple. The "AUTHOR" of a written work has the "right" to add to; or subtract from; or quote his work in any way that he chooses." When there are differences between a New Testament quote of an Old Testament passage, instead of looking for "errors" (as the modern day Bible skeptics & correctors do), we should be looking for "LIGHT" (as genuine Bible believers should do).

Psalms 33:4
For the word of the LORD is right; and all his works are done in truth.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:05 PM

Thanks Samuel for the definition of the animals.
Thanks Winman for the references to that passage. They are in my margins now.
Thanks George for your answer and instruction. I don't doubt God's words. I just want to know the meaning of what He has written. Since I have been thinking and reading about manuscript evidence for the Bible versions, I would look at some passages with the intent to defend against skeptics. That's why I was wondering about exactly what the eunuch was reading. Your answer to OT quotations in the NT is very helpful. Thanks again for your help. Take care.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel View Post
...Sheep is always used for the female member, while a male is a Ram.
Actually, a sheep is a sheep, male or female. The male may be called a ram, and the female a ewe, but both properly named sheep.
II Sam. 12:3 But the poor man had nothing, save one little ewe lamb, which he had bought and nourished up: and it grew up together with him, and with his children; it did eat of his own meat, and drank of his own cup, and lay in his bosom, and was unto him as a daughter.
The word "AS" in Isaiah is crucial, and the word "LIKE" in Acts is the same. Both allow the "differences" to be correct, therefore preventing discrepancy.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:43 AM

Also allow for slight paraphrasing due to an NT writer quoting from memory and doing the translation to the Greek for you.

And yes, there is value added interpretation found in NT quotes too.

Remember a simple formula for OT quotes in the NT:

NT quotes: Hebrew then Greek then English
OT verse: Hebrew straight to English
Old 06-04-2009, 09:43 AM

Default Re: "Question on Acts 8:32"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmonk View Post
"Also allow for slight paraphrasing due to an NT writer quoting from memory and doing the translation to the Greek for you.
Quote:
{Do you get the "inference"? "quoting from memory" - i.e. WITHOUT the guidance of the Holy Spirit? i.e. - UNINSPIRED? <> I wonder WHERE "Tmonk" learned this? }
And yes, there is value added interpretation found in NT quotes too.

Remember a simple formula for OT quotes in the NT:

NT quotes: Hebrew then Greek then English
OT verse: Hebrew straight to English
"

Aloha all,

You may safely DISREGARD ANYTHING that "Tmonk" has to say about about the text of Scripture, since it is obvious from his Posts on this subject (the preceding being "typical") that his "personal concept" of INSPIRATION IS UNSCRIPTURAL!
Old 06-05-2009, 05:35 AM

Acts 11:16

16Then remembered I the word of the Lord, how that he said, John indeed baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost.

Luke 24:8
8And they remembered his words,

John 2:17
17And his disciples remembered that it was written, The zeal of thine house hath eaten me up.

John 12:16
16These things understood not his disciples at the first: but when Jesus was glorified, then remembered they that these things were written of him, and that they had done these things unto him.

John 16:4

4But these things have I told you, that when the time shall come, ye may remember that I told you of them. And these things I said not unto you at the beginning, because I was with you.

Now this one is important !!!!

John 14:26

26But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

John 16:13
13Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

Now George these things should go without saying. Everyone knows the writers of the New Testament were inspired of the Holy Spirit. Then there in John 14:26 Christ plainly states that the Holy Spirit will aid in their memory.

Or could you just not pass up an opportunity to be on the attack?