Bible Versions Questions and discussion about the Bible version issue.

Old 03-01-2008, 12:41 AM
sting of truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by againstheresies View Post
I am not Foley [for the record I think he may just be writing a little tongue in cheek] but I would like to answer your question if you do not mind. The KJV is a translation. The authors of the KJV were not inspired in the same way as the authors of the Bible. The KJV translators did an excellent job with the resources they had. They did not claim infallibility. They made a few translation errors, most have been corrected. A few remain today. The orthodox position of the church has always held to the inspiration of the original apograph not the copy. There are thousands of handwritten texts (a text is a copy in the original language and a translation is a copy in a different language) that have survived and they all have mistakes, they were copied by fallible men written by hand. Fortunately the problem is with less than 5% of the readings and there is a scientific way of deducing a text from the plethora of witnesses (the method is called lower criticism).

What we have today in English, Russian, German, and so forth are copies of God’s Word. They are inspired in the sense that they are a faithful witness to the original autograph. Making an English copy done in the 16th century and revised numbers of times through the years the standard by which all future translations are measured is an implausible position.

I do not question the motives of those who hold to such a position. I think all of you who do so do it with the intent to honor God’s Word. But in your efforts to demonstrate its reliability you demonstrate your ignorance of factual realities. I am sorry if this statement sounds harsh, the tone is intended to be one of compassionate criticism.

Below is a brief article on the reliability of God’s Word
http://www.carm.org/demo2/bible/reliable.htm

Below is a link to a brief article on textual criticism
http://members.aol.com/rbiblech/Misc...OfTheBible.htm

i thought you were going to answer my question.. here let me ask it again. in one sentance, maybe 2.. here it goes so pay attention

if the king james bible has a single error, which english bible, or any bible for that matter gives me all 66 books of the bible that are without error? and tell me where i can buy copies of them. because i want the written, inerrant, divinely preserved word of God...
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 03-01-2008, 12:47 AM
lei-kjvonly

Well Foley you are being influenced by a spirit for sure. But it's not of God I'll tell you that much! Also one more thing before I go, you said we were all going to use "your" bible some day as our study tool. I BEG TO DIFFER! I definitely believe you are being influenced by a god.the god of this world has taken over your mind! That's why you can't and don't want to see the truth.

Now you can't get mad at me about the following verse because Christ said it. Just make sure you take it out of your own "bible" whenever you translate it. That way it won't bother you any more.

Joh 8:44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

I'm through talking to you for this very reason:

Pro 26:4 Answer not a fool according to his folly,lest thou also be like unto him.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:22 AM
ploughboy

Thumbs up Unbelievable

I can't believe there has actually been 31 now 32 replies to this. Just say nothing. Bible correctors love attention. This will kill them.

ploughboy
Old 03-01-2008, 07:01 AM
jerry

Wow, Foley - God is supposedly leading you to do a new translation that is only 80-95% accurate, that mixes corrupt texts together - YET you cannot even post in a Christlike spirit. I don't think it is God directing you...
Old 03-01-2008, 07:42 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by foley View Post
I am currently updating and revising the king james new testament with the help of the holy spirit, and it has made me realise just how badly written the king james is and how a lot of potential revelation is missing due to obscure verses and bad sentence structure and mistranslations and the fact that it is so literal(which doesn't translate well to other languages) Just because you may have got used to quoting the king james bible, it doesn't mean there can be no other.
Pesonally i would rate the king james bible at about 80% accurate with 60% of potential revelation available out of 100.
My version is approximately 95% accurate with about 90% of potential revelation available. I will be calling my version the 21st century King James version. And yes it has been written as a tribute and in honor of the King james scholars.
I am basing it on the king james manuscripts and am quite aware of the dubious carnal man made modern versions available and will be avoiding their mistakes at all costs so don't worry.
Wow! Sorry, that I am amused at this. Sounds that you are kidding, right? (I'm friendly; I mean no harm in saying this.)
I had a term paper on "The Masters Behind the Masterpiece". I wonder how one can correct the "masterpiece" of English literature made by "masters" who were conversant in fourteen languages, read Hebrew at four, writes Greek at six, university Greek professor at nineteen, a third university, a walking library, debates in Greek and Latin at tournaments, grew up in Biblical languages and have difficulty speaking in the their native language (as I say it, they can play "hide-and-seek" using Greek), have written lexicons and dictionaries, invented rulers, wrote commentaries on the Church Fathers' writings, tutored royalties in mathematics and languages, etc.etc. Of course the KJV is more than a masterpiece by the masters; it is the Word of God, preserved by God, Who used men of God that were zealous anti-papists and were two-hour preachers.
I remember the story of a young preacher, who presented three reasons why a word is wrongly translated, to which a KJB translator presented 13 more other reasons why the word is correctly translated. Each word in the KJV has passed AT LEAST 14X over the heads of these genius and Godly men.
That's why I'm amused what expertise and Spirit-guidance one person can have compared to the expertise and Spirit-guidance of those 47 men.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:15 AM
jblm1611

Exclamation

I agree with livnbyfaith, Foley is listening from his heart which is wicked above all things and not the guidance of the Holy Spirit. I do believe Foley you need to try the spirits like I said before. There is alot of pride and alot of arrogants about your revelation of your so called translation. If you believe so much that God preserved only the originals then stop your translation and spend that time learning Hebrew and Greek. Be very careful at what you do when you begin to mess with Gods Word. What you sow you will reap.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:23 AM
jblm1611

One more thing to add just like lei-kjvonly said I am tired of listening to all of foley's foolishness. I have said all that needs to be said, and I have defended my Lord and His Word so I intend to put foley on my ignore list. I pray that foley will see the true light and quit listening to that one who transforms himself into an angel of light.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:42 AM
Pastor Mikie

Quoting Foley...
God informed me that he has given me the divine perogative to update the king james bible as i see fit...

WOW! I really hope this is a rouse and not real.

Proverbs 26:4 Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.
Proverbs 26:5 Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit.
Old 03-01-2008, 12:07 PM

Foley, if I'm going to be replacing the KJV with your version I'd like to know more about you.

Would you mind giving your testimony as to when and how you came to know the Lord? How and in what church have you been serving? What has the Lord done in your life up until this time?

The idea that your version will gain great popularity quickly and replace the KJB as the standard authority sounds somewhat prophetic. Have you received other prophecies, and if so what was their outcome?
Old 03-01-2008, 02:54 PM
againstheresies

Default Response

Quote:
Originally Posted by sting of truth View Post
i thought you were going to answer my question.. here let me ask it again. in one sentance, maybe 2.. here it goes so pay attention

if the king james bible has a single error, which english bible, or any bible for that matter gives me all 66 books of the bible that are without error? and tell me where i can buy copies of them. because i want the written, inerrant, divinely preserved word of God...
What you demand, an infallible copy or an infallible translation may not exist!

Copyists and translators all make mistakes. The original apograph is inspired. The authors of Scripture did not make mistakes. The copyists and translators do their best to reproduce a faithful witness of the apograph, but they make mistakes. Technology has diminished the possibility of mistakes, but they still occur. The finished work is inspired in the sense that it reproduces the original. When you try to apply inspiration to the translators of KJV or the copyists of the Greek manuscripts in the same way that the apostle Paul was inspired you have a problem. First, the Scripture never makes such a claim. Second, none of the extant manuscripts perfectly agree and further even after many revisions the KJV today has two versions that do not perfectly agree (Oxford and Cambridge).

In His providence God chose to preserve His Word in the plethora of extant witnesses. No other document of antiquity is represented as well as the text of Scripture. Perhaps one of the reasons we do not have the Apostle Paul’s original letters is because some in the church would likely make it some sort of relic to be worshiped. Another reason may be that some in the church may not be willing to share its contents freely with the public. I do not know of all the reasons why God chose to preserve His Word in this manner, since He did this must be the best way.

You may ignore the facts if you wish and believe what you want, but like the people in the story about the Emperor’s new clothes your faith does not change reality.

http://www.mindfully.org/Reform/Empe...ew-Clothes.htm