Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gophgetter View Post
Greetings Brother Forrest,

I would like to get your thoughts on the following scripture concerning righteousness.

1 John 3:7 Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.

Also, what is your definition of the word "righteous"?

Peace
Sorry for the delayed reply. Attending church (yesterday) exhausted me (I have Multiple Sclerosis). This is a good question and one that every believer should know the answer to.

We do not need the Greek to understand it, but I think in this case it helps us to know that the word doeth is not [prasso] which means to do, perform, or achieve with emphasis placed on doing something like works or deeds that are righteous. We can see this in the context of the passage you refer to.

The word doeth in 1 John chapter 2 and 3 is [poieo] which certainly involves changed behavior for the believer, but has emphasis on being made or endowed with the quality of righteousness. The verse you quoted is simply a clarification of the preceding verses in 1 John 2:9. "If ye know that he is righteous, ye know that every one that doeth righteousness is born of him." In other words, we know every person who has been made or endowed with the quality of righteousness is born of Him. His seed remains in us. And 1 John 3:7. "Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous." We also know that every person that has been endowed with Christ's righteousness is righteous, even as He is righteous.

Wow! Praise God for His good and powerful grace that endows me with something I could never attain apart from Christ. In position and in operation or experience. "For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him. (2 Corinthians 5:21).

I'm sure we both know the definition for righteous. But I think it will help us to understand the proper application for the literal interpretation when we get a grasp on the word doeth.

Last edited by Forrest; 08-25-2008 at 12:46 PM.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 08-27-2008, 06:35 PM
Scott Simons

Question

Did gophgetter get banned?
Old 08-28-2008, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simons View Post
Did gophgetter get banned?
Aloha brother Scott,

Brandon "banned" gophgetter a couple of days ago! It's too bad, but he refused to desist from trying to spread his heresies.