Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Old 06-06-2008, 02:26 PM
wwjd.usa

Default KJV Dictionary in PDF or DOC

I have a very hard time understanding KJV Bible. On this web-site, I have found a KJV dictionary that is very useful to me. However, I have a problem. (If you want to know my question, read the last paragraph of this post.)

At home, I have a special room which is very quiet, and for this I like reading the Bible in that room. The computer is located at a different room. Therefore, every time that I need to look up a word, I have to spent like a minute going to the computer.

Then, not always is the computer available, because in the family, everyone shares the computer. For example, I see that no one is using the computer, and I start reading my KJV Bible. Then I come across a word that I don't understand. I go to the computer room, and someone is using the computer.

Also, my parents do not want the computer to be on 24/7. So I have to wait like three minutes for the computer to load before looking up a word from online KJV dictionary. By the way, my Internet Service Provider does not always give the speed that it promised. (Sometimes I don't have the internet at all, and other times, the speed is 1/2 of what it should be)

So I decided that it is better to print out a hard copy of the KJV dictionary. The problem is that I cannot find a hard copy of the KJV dictionary on this web-site. Can anyone please help me find a file (such as ".doc"“,.txt", ".pdf", or any extension file) that has every single word for the KJV dictionary. That is a copy that I can print out and use for myself. THANK YOU.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 06-06-2008, 07:38 PM
Forum Administrator

The KJV Dictionary on AV1611.com is just an abridgment of the Webster 1828 dictionary, which you can find here.

If you are looking for something small enough to print, try the King James Bible Companion.
Old 06-07-2008, 11:06 AM
wwjd.usa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diligent View Post
The KJV Dictionary on AV1611.com is just an abridgment of the Webster 1828 dictionary, which you can find here.

If you are looking for something small enough to print, try the King James Bible Companion.
Thanks for using your time to look up the dictionaries, but this did not solve my problem. I do not want to purchase the 1828 dictionary because a regular dictionary has many words which are not in the KJV Bible. Therefore, whenever I look up a word from the KJV in a regular dictionary, it would take me extra time.

The second link that you gave me does not have every single word from the KJV Bible.

I don't mind printing out 100 pages front and back. So do you know if the abridged KJV dictionary is avaliable in one file to be printed out?
Old 06-08-2008, 10:17 AM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjd.usa View Post
I don't mind printing out 100 pages front and back. So do you know if the abridged KJV dictionary is avaliable in one file to be printed out?
No, sorry.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:12 PM

Try the little pamphet that Diligent linked to above. The "K.J. Companion" is only .49 cents...give it a try. I've had one and have recommended them to other folks that needed help with some words/phrases.

What I think you are looking for is called a Bible Dictionary. You can get one for about $10.00 depending on where you shop. I'll provide a link, and on the page there is a "Sample" page. Point and Click on that and you can see the first page which starts off with Aaron-with a definition of him (Moses brother) and the other things listed/mentioned in the Bible. From Asher to Zebulun, from Birthright to Yoke---Person,Place or Thing---Shekel to Sabbath's Day Journey. This way you can look things up even if someone else is on the computer at home, or if the internet is slow.

Don't know how much money is in your wallet, but you can usually find one at a Used book Store in town, or try the local Salvation Army store or goodwill store in the book section. The link is for "Smith's" which has been around for over 100 years- (Like Strong's Concordance-another very helpful reference tool.). There are others such as Unger's Bible Dictionary , Zondervan's Pictorial Bible Dictionary-(with drawings and photos) , Oxford Bible Dictionary, which will cost more than Smith's, but they have better print/font/type. You be the judge, as it's your eyeballs.

Hope this helps you. Continue on reading God's Word...IF you don't understand something, then you could also keep a pencil and paper near your Bible and make a note of the word---> then keep reading. Next Lord's Day ask your Pastor or Sunday School teacher if they know.

http://www.christianbook.com/Christi...&event=CF#curr
Old 06-16-2008, 10:51 AM
wwjd.usa

The 49 cents booklet has over 500 words in it.

The real King James dictionary has over 5,000 words. Do you know of any way that I get the FULL KJV dictionary.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjd.usa View Post
The 49 cents booklet has over 500 words in it. The real King James dictionary has over 5,000 words. Do you know of any way that I get the FULL KJV dictionary.
Hi wwjd,

Based on your writing I think you already know some English.
Have you tried applying your existing knowledge ?

Shalom,
STeven
Old 06-16-2008, 01:43 PM
wwjd.usa

Smile

Well, that's true. However, not all words that I do not know are listed in the booklet. In other words, there are some KJV words that are not in the booklet, and that I do not know.

If no one knows how to get a full KJV dictionary, then I will have to manually copy over 5000 words with definitions. I don't mind coping all of the words. However, If someone does have the full KJV dictionary in one file, then I would very appreciate if I could have a copy of it. What I am saying, is that if someone has the full KJV dictionary, then I would save about one month of time.

One of the main reasons that I want the full dictionary, is that I have friends who are foreigners. My friends want the KJV dictionary, so that they could know the English Biblical language.

The reason that my friends want to learn the English Biblical language, is so that they could translate correctly. For example, one time came a foreign missionary to the church, and his sermon was translated to the English language. One of the phrases that the missionary used was "Lamb of God." Because my friends did not know the English biblical language, they translated from foreign language the phrase "Lamb of God" to English language "Ram of God." Everybody laughed at them. You know, lambs are usually gentle, humble and peaceful. Rams are usually opposite of lamb.

Most people at my city use the KJV and do not like using any of the new, corrupted versions of the Bible.

Anyways, should I start working on the one month project, or does anyone have the full KJV dictionary, that I could purchase or download?

Old 08-10-2008, 11:21 PM
Joel

The following dictionaries can be read online (free), downloaded in plain text format (free), and downloaded in PDF format (not free). Please note that these dictionaries and other books on the Christian Classics Ethereal Library web site are governed by a copyright policy (http://www.ccel.org/about/copyright.html).

Easton's Bible Dictionary
http://www.ccel.org/ccel/easton/ebd2.html

Smith's Bible Dictionary
http://www.ccel.org/ccel/smith_w/bibledict.html

Hitchcock's Bible Names Dictionary
http://www.ccel.org/ccel/hitchcock/bible_names.html

Dictionary of the Bible Dealing with its Language, Literature, and Contents: Volume 1 (A-Feasts)
http://www.ccel.org/ccel/hastings/dictv1.html

Dictionary of the Bible Dealing with its Language, Literature, and Contents: Volume 2 (Feign-Kinsman)
http://www.ccel.org/ccel/hastings/dictv2.html

Dictionary of the Bible Dealing with its Language, Literature, and Contents: Volume 3 (kir-pleiades)
http://www.ccel.org/ccel/hastings/dictv3.html

Dictionary of the Bible Dealing with its Language, Literature, and Contents: Volume 4 (pleroma-zuzim)
http://www.ccel.org/ccel/hastings/dictv4.html

Hope this helps...
Joel.