Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-20-2008, 10:03 PM

Default Dr. J. Frank Norris' Letter on Israel to President Harry S. Truman

Guys,

We never need to forget our IFB stand with the nation of Israel. Dr. J. Frank Norris the 1st IFB helped President Harry S. Truman also a Baptist with his ideas on the nation of Israel. We must always recall our founding and take stands, no matter what happens.

Atlas

Quote:
Dr. J. Frank Norris' Letter on Israel
to President Harry S. Truman
dated October 2, 1947
Zionism is simply the position that believes in Israel's right to the land of Canaan, that is all the land west of the Jordan River (Psalm 105:6-12) -- John Henry

In 1947 President Harry Truman asked for the opinion of Dr. J. Frank Norris on the Palestine situation. Below is Dr. Norris' answer and President Truman's personal reply.

---------------------------------------------

First Baptist Church
4th and Throckmorton Streets
Fort Worth, Texas

Fort Worth, Texas
Oct. 2, 1947

Hon. Harry S. Truman
President United States
Washington, D. C.

Dear Mr. President:

Mr. Matthew J. Connelly wired me New York October 1st and suggested that I write you certain matters of my trip to Palestine.

First, I want to thank you for your very kind personal letter of August 5th, which was of invaluable assistance in all my travels.

I have given extensive study to the Jewish Palestinian question. The issue is whether we will take the authority of the Bible of our mothers or the Koran with the sword and flame.

In that whole controversy the big issue is who owns the land, who has the title to that land? If that question is settled there is no other question.

The Lord God Almighty in Genesis the 17th chapter, specifically states that the title to Palestine is given not to Ishmael, the ancestor of the Arabs, but to Isaac and his seed for ever.

“And God said, Sarah thy wife shall bear thee a son indeed; and thou shalt call his name Isaac: and I will establish my covenant with him for an everlasting covenant, and with his seed after him.” (Gen. 17:19)

This covenant was confirmed to Isaac, Genesis 26:3:

“Sojourn in this land, and I will be with thee, and will bless thee; for unto thee, and unto thy seed, I will give all these countries, and I will perform the oath which I sware unto Abraham thy father;”

This covenant was also confirmed to Jacob, Genesis 28:13:

“And, behold, the LORD stood above it, and said, I am the LORD God of Abraham thy father, and the God of Isaac: the land whereon thou liest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed;”

The covenant was likewise confirmed to Moses in Deuteronomy 30:3-5:

“That then the LORD thy God will turn thy captivity, and have compassion upon thee, and will return and gather thee from all the nations, whither the LORD thy God hath scattered thee. If any of thine be driven out unto the outmost parts of heaven, from thence will the LORD thy God gather thee, and from thence will he fetch thee: And the LORD thy God will bring thee into the land which thy fathers possessed, and thou shalt possess it; and he will do thee good, and multiply thee above thy fathers.”

David specifically states the title to that land is to the Jews and the descendants of Jacob: Psalm 105:9-12:

“Which covenant he made with Abraham, and his oath unto Isaac; And confirmed the same unto Jacob for a law, and to Israel for an everlasting covenant: Saying, Unto thee will I give the land of Canaan, the lot of your inheritance: When they were but a few men in number; yea, very few, and strangers in it.”

Thirteen hundred years ago the Arabs were usurpers, Mohammet with fire and sword, and they were robbers of property that belongs to the Jews.

A second and very important authority in addition to Scriptural authority, Great Britain was given mandate over Palestine for the purpose of Jewish immigration into that land and for making it a national home.

This mandate was confirmed by the United States Government and by the 57 Nations of the League of Nations.

The tragedy and the cause of all the present trouble is that Neville Chamberlain, Prime Minister, put on a two-fold appeasement in 1939:

First, with Hitler, and that brought on World War II.

Second, with the Arabs, who were the allies of Hitler.

Chamberlain violated the international law giving that land as a national home for Jews in 1939, and said only 70,000 Jews would be permitted to go for the next five years, and after that none except by the consent of the Arabs. But the mandate made no such restrictions.

Therefore the present Jewish immigration into Palestine is not “illegal”; it’s legal.

Based on the mandate given to Great Britain over Palestine, and confirmed by the United States Government and confirmed by the League of Nations, the Jews invested six hundred and fifty million dollars in Palestine, built cities, public works, and the curse of God Almighty is on every hand that violates this most solemn agreement*the mandate three times over confirmed.

Now, Mr. President, it certainly is a matter that should cause us to stop and think that the Arab leaders from the Grand Mufti on down were allies of Hitler, and it ill becomes them to come now into court with their hands dripping with the blood of the Jews, six million of them murdered by Hitler.

I interviewed many Arab leaders, and without question I found that the whole crowd are for Stalin, just like they formerly were for Hitler.

While this country was fighting Hitler, thirty thousand young Jews from Palestine volunteered and went to the battle front and not a single Arab regiment.

If the Arabs and Jews in Palestine were left alone they would get along and settle their troubles.

Russia is doing everything at her command to foment the trouble.

The time has come, and long past, when the United States should keep its promise and take a firm stand for law and order in that land that has given the world its Bible and Saviour.

Yours very sincerely,
(Signed by J. Frank Norris)

J. Frank Norris
First Baptist Church
4th and Throckmorton Streets
Fort Worth, Texas

JFN:r

----------------------------------

THE WHITE HOUSE
WASHINGTON

October 7, 1947

Dear Dr. Norris:

I am most grateful for your thoughtful letter of October second. I deeply appreciate having the benefit of this expression of your views because I know that you have given long and extensive study to the Jewish Palestinian question.

Very sincerely yours,

(Signed by President Harry Truman)

Harry Truman
President

Reverend J. Frank Norris,
First Baptist Church,
4th and Throckmorton Streets,
Fort Worth, Texas.

================
SOURCE OF THE ABOVE:

October 22,2004

Dear Brethren:

Dr. DeWayne Nichols, pastor of Liberty Baptist Church in San Antonio, Texas, thought this would be something you ought to read.

Sincerely,
Dr. James A. Vineyard
Pastor

================

One reason that God has blessed America above all nations is because we has stood by Israel. Seven months after the date of the above letter President Truman, acting on the behalf of the United States, was the first head of state in the world to recognize the new State of Israel. Below is President Truman's telegram announcing that the U. S. officially recognized the new State of Israel. -- John Henry

This Government has been informed that a Jewish
state has been proclaimed in Palestine, and recognition
has been requested by the provisional government thereof.

The United States recognizes the provisional gov-
ernment as the de facto authority of the new State of Israel.

(Signed by President Harry Truman)

Approved
May 14, 1948