Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-21-2009, 10:48 AM

Default Bible Questions, an Article, and a Greeting

Hello. I'm back, and I appreciate being un-banned,so to speak.
I hope we can all treat each other with respect, and behave as
adults, one to another.

My husband, along with another male member of
my family, has told me to have nothing to do with certain members
in this forum, and out of great respect and submission to God's Holy Word, and to my husband, I am obeying them. I hope you all will also understand this, and not be upset when/if I do not reply to certain members in this forum.

My time on this forum, is to be limited each week, too. It may be a while before I reply to others, so, don't be offended. Peace.

That being said, I would like to go on to something else, now.
I received a fascinating email, last week, from a Christian female friend of mine,
talking about the crowns given to the believer. I know there are some verses
in the KJV bible about crowns, but, is there a set of specific crowns that will
be awarded to believers, as they triumph over certain trials and tribulations?
I heard there was a martyr's crown, a soulwinner's crown, etc.

************************************************** ****************************************

Here's another interesting article I got, from the Berean Call, about J.Osteen:
PREACH THE WORD AND JOEL OSTEEN

"[Osteen] understands the importance of TV and uses the language of contemporary American society - the language of psychotherapy." [Excerpts]

Having preached for less than a decade, Osteen, 46, presides over a Houston church in a former basketball arena that draws 40,000 people on Sundays. His televised sermons are seen by more than 7 million Americans a week and millions more around the world.

He's had two best-selling books and a third, "It's Your Time," will come out in November. He's only been preaching on the road for five years, but is taking the stage at the new Yankee Stadium before A-Rod for what he calls "A Night of Hope."Mind Invaders

He appeals to conservatives and liberals, Texas Republicans and Nancy Pelosi, Pentecostal Christians filled with the Holy Spirit and atheists filled with none.

"I wish I could explain it better," he said of his appeal in a recent interview with The Journal News at the swanky Mandarin Oriental Hotel in Columbus Circle. "I don't have an answer. I guess it's that my message is positive and hopeful. People stop me on the street, whether they are bikers or bankers. I've had atheists tell me that they watch me on TV.

"It's got to be God," he said, "because it's not me."

Tulane University's Shayne Lee, an expert on superstar evangelists, said Osteen is young, fresh, likable and doesn't have the baggage of the televangelists of old.

"He understands the importance of TV and uses the language of contemporary American society - the language of psychotherapy, the language of Americans who watch Oprah and Dr. Phil," said Lee, whose new book, "Holy Mavericks," profiles Osteen and four other pastors with national followings. "Osteen understands that his brand is not to condemn, but uplift. If the caricature of the typical evangelist is a fingerpointing loudmouth, Osteen seems so trustworthy that he's the boy next door."

"My message is not about doctrine. I don't have to get 50 references from Scripture in a sermon for it to be a good sermon. Churches that are helping people live out a Christian life are growing and flourishing."

http://www.lohud.com/article/2009904220354

[TBC: "Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long-suffering and doctrine. For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned to fables.]

I like the way they attached the perfect Scripture to the article, to emphasize the error of Joel Osteen. What do you think about the popular preachers, such as
Rick Warren and his purpose driven church dogma? Why are they popular?

************************************************** ******************************************

I've been really getting in deep with my morning Bible studies.Praise God!
I read, in 2 Peter, this morning, again, a set of Scripture verses which has puzzled me for a while, and I'm hoping to get a clearer definition of what the traits mean, in the verses.
Here's the Bible passage:
2: Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord,
3: According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:
4: Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.
5: And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;
6: And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;
7: And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.
8: For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
9: But he that lacketh these things is blind, and cannot see afar off, and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.
10: Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things, ye shall never fall:
11: For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

My questions at the moment are, what is the definition of each of the characteristics listed in vs. 5-7?
What, exactly, is virtue? What's the difference btwn. temperance and patience, and between brotherly kindness, and charity?
Do these traits have to be added to in the order in the Bible? I mean, can you have knowledge before you have virtue, etc?