Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Old 01-25-2009, 04:38 AM

Default Being Perfect?

I know that we won't be sinless until glory, but Paul said we could be "perfect":
2 Corinthians 13:11 Finally, brethren, farewell. Be perfect, be of good comfort, be of one mind, live in peace; and the God of love and peace shall be with you.

Philippians 3:15 Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you.

2 Timothy 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
What do you think it means to be perfect? How does one become perfect in this life?
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 01-26-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Christian View Post
I know that we won't be sinless until glory, but Paul said we could be "perfect":
2 Corinthians 13:11 Finally, brethren, farewell. Be perfect, be of good comfort, be of one mind, live in peace; and the God of love and peace shall be with you.

Philippians 3:15 Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you.

2 Timothy 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
What do you think it means to be perfect? How does one become perfect in this life?
Those are some good thoughts, brother. I think context tells us that sometimes "perfect" places more emphasis on growing and maturing in Christ and in good works. (See 2 Timothy 3:17 above.) But in other passages it seems absolute.

When you posted your thoughts, my mind went to:
Matthew 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.
How is it possible for anyone to be perfect as the Heavenly Father is perfect? Are we? It's difficult to accept this reality because we live in our sinful mortality, but in Christ we are perfect!
2 Corinthians 5:21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.
The righteousness of God is unchangeable. It's mine in Christ. Is that amazing grace or what?
1 John 3:8-9 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil. Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
Absolute. Final. Finished. Thank you Heavenly Father for the undeserved, unearned, unmerited riches of Thy grace through the Lord Jesus Christ. Amen and Amen.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
When you posted your thoughts, my mind went to:
Matthew 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.
How is it possible for anyone to be perfect as the Heavenly Father is perfect? Are we? It's difficult to accept this reality because we live in our sinful mortality, but in Christ we are perfect!
2 Corinthians 5:21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.
The righteousness of God is unchangeable. It's mine in Christ. Is that amazing grace or what?
1 John 3:8-9 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil. Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
Absolute. Final. Finished. Thank you Heavenly Father for the undeserved, unearned, unmerited riches of Thy grace through the Lord Jesus Christ. Amen and Amen.
Yes, amen. I believe as you do, it's wonderful and joyful to consider the position we are in in Christ, seated in heavenly places even now, WOW.

Yet I'm still not sure Paul is referring to our position in Christ when he says to be perfect. I think your first comment on the emphasis being about "good works" is heading in the right direction, for the following examples of perfect men are given in scripture:
Job 1:1 There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name was Job; and that man was perfect and upright, and one that feared God, and eschewed evil.

James 3:2 For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body.

Psalms 37:37 Mark the perfect man, and behold the upright: for the end of that man is peace.
Compare Job and James and we see that a perfect man is one who is upright, fears God, avoids/shuns evil, and controls his tongue and his flesh. If anyone can practise such a walk as this on earth it is the new creature in Christ, the born again believer who has a new nature, to be perfect.

Also, Noah was said to be perfect (Gen 6:9), God told Abraham to be perfect (Genesis 17:1), not to mention all of Israel (Deut 18:13), and there is a fair bit in the OT about having a perfect heart with the Lord.

Last edited by Kiwi Christian; 01-27-2009 at 03:24 AM.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:33 AM

I Cor. 13:10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
Perfect is complete, the fulfillment of something formally "in part."
II Tim. 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
God gave us the holy scriptures for our perfection. He also gave us leaders etc. for our spiritual perfection or growth/maturity.
Eph. 4:12-14 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: Till we all come (currently imcomplete) in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ: That we henceforth be no more children,...
This is the practical (day by day) side to the Christian life. The verses you have quoted earlier lend to our doctrinal position (as you mentioned) in Christ.
Col. 2:10 And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power: