Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:42 PM

Default "in whom is no guile"

(bold/underline my emphasis)

Quickly, without searching the Holy Bible, what is your first thought as to whom this is referring-"in whom is no guile"?

I read the thread “sin every day?”, and thought a “prophecy thread” might be applicable, as it pertains to the question of “sinless ability.”

In this "dispensation of the grace of God"(Ephesians 3:2), God has already declared this race("in Adam"-1 Corinthians 15:22) to be lost("guilty"-Romans 3:19), and that all are sinners(no exceptions-Romans 3:23); that there "is no difference"((Romans3:22), that there "is none that are righteous"(Romans 3:10). We are all "guilty" as charged, in what we do, think, and in what we don't do, and in "missing the mark/falling short of the mark" in how we should think. And we are to shut our big, fat, self righteous mouths, and admit our guilt, as it is written:

“Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.” Romans 3:19

But how does this "mesh", "jive" with statements in scripture that seem to imply that it is possible to live a "sinless" life and/or, command(s) to live a sinless life? Could it be that we need to "rightly divide"(2 Tim. 2:15) this Holy Bible, recognizing the dispensational boundaries? Could this "sinless-ness" be a future promise/expectation in an upcoming dispensation-"…the ages to come…"(Eph. 2:7), or the forthcoming 1000 year reign of the Lord Jesus Christ-the "millennium kingdom"? Could these admonitions not to “sin” be better understood in considering to whom they are addressed, and when, for example, to the Jews in the future “Great Tribulation”, “….the time of Jacob's trouble…”(Jeremiah 30:7, Genesis 32:7)?

I wrote the following a few years ago, as part of the evidence that there will be literal "thousand year"(Revelation 20:2- 7) reign of the Lord Jesus Christ on earth. For your consideration, perhaps this explains:

"Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect." Mt. 5:48

“Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not. 2Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure. Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law. And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin. Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him. Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil. Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother. For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another. Not as Cain, who was of that wicked one, and slew his brother. And wherefore slew he him? Because his own works were evil, and his brother's righteous. Marvel not, my brethren, if the world hate you. We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death. Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer: and ye know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in him. Hereby perceive we the love of God, because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him? My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth. And hereby we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before him. For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things. Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence toward God. And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight. And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment. And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us” 1 John 3.

Is 1 John 3 to be understood as to be realized in the future?:

“But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things.” 1 John 2:20

Compare with/consistent with:

“Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.” John 16:13

Vs. Paul in Romans-Philemon says we must study(numerous verses charging this).

__________________________________________________ _____________

Columbo: The Case of the Sinless Man on Earth

or

Evidence there will be literal "thousand year"(Revelation 20:2- 7) reign of the Lord Jesus Christ-"... as the days of heaven upon the earth...."(Deuteronomy 11:21)

By John M. Whalen

All Christians should agree that The Lord Jesus Christ was the only man that has ever walked the earth to this point in time(2008) who had no sin: 2 Cor. 5:21; Hebrews 4:15,7:26; 1 John 3:5; Luke 23:4; John 18:38,19:4-6. Is this not a "basic doctrine" of Christianity, and a pre-requisite for the Lord Jesus Christ being our kinsman-redeemer? Notice:

"Who did no sin, NEITHER WAS GUILE FOUND IN HIS MOUTH". 1 Peter 2:22

But notice:

"Jesus saw Nathanael coming to him, and saith of him, Behold an Israelite indeed, IN WHOM IS NO GUILE!" John 1:47

How is this possible-Nathanael is characterized as a man on earth "in whom is no guile"?

The solution:

Part of the definition of a prophet is "one who speaks for another"(for eg., Moses speaking on behalf of the LORD, Aaron speaking for Moses-Exodus 4:12,15("put words in his mouth"),16("thy spokesman"); 7:1; Deuteronomy 18:18("will put my words in his mouth").

The Lord Jesus Christ was a prophet, "the prophet": Deut. 18:15;Mt. 13:57,21:11;Mk. 6:4; Luke 1:76,4:24,7:16,24:19;John 1:45,4:44,6:14,7:40,9:17; Acts 2:30,3:22,23,7:37. And He, the Lord Jesus Christ “whom God sent hath speaketh the words of God”, spoke only those words which were given him to speak.The definition fits the Lord Jesus Christ's own admission:

“And what he hath seen and heard, that he testifieth; and no man receiveth his testimony. He that hath received his testimony hath set to his seal that God is true. For he whom God hath sent speaketh the words of God: for God giveth not the Spirit by measure unto him.” John 3:32-34

“Jesus answered them, and said, My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.” John 7:16

“Then cried Jesus in the temple as he taught, saying, Ye both know me, and ye know whence I am: and I am not come of myself, but he that sent me is true, whom ye know not.” John 7:28

"Then said Jesus unto them, When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am he, and that I do nothing of myself; but as my Father hath taught me, I speak these things.' Jn. 8:28

"For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak. And I know that his commandment is life everlasting: whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto me, so I speak."" Jn. 12:49-50

"Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? The words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works." Jn. 14:10

“He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me. “ John 14:24

“Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.” John 15:15

Thus, the Lord Jesus Christ was fulfilling His role as a/the prophet. He was speaking for His Father in Heaven-the words He spoke were His Father's words, not His(as was true for all the prophets).

"Jesus answered and said unto him, Before that Philip called thee, when thou wast under the fig tree, I saw thee." John 1:48

And notice if we "...search out a matter...."(Proverbs 25:2):

"And Judah and Israel dwelt safely, every man under his vine and under his fig tree, from Dan even to Beersheba, all the days of Solomon." 1 Kings 4:25

" But they shall sit every man under his vine and under his fig tree; and none shall make them afraid: for the mouth of the LORD of hosts hath spoken it." Micah 4:4

"In that day, saith the LORD of hosts, shall ye call every man his neighbour under the vine and under the fig tree." Zech. 3:10

Thus, in John 1:47, the Lord Jesus Christ, in the context of his office of "the Prophet", was looking into the future, and providing a glimpse of the ideal conditions that will exist in forthcoming , and promised, millennium kingdom, a time the scripture refers to as the times of "refreshing"(Exodus 31:17, Isaiah 28:12, Acts 3:19), and of the "restitution of all things"(Acts 3:21). This is the enfolding of the promise that the Lord Jesus Christ shall rule from David's throne(2 Sam. 5-"the Davidic Covenant"-the covenant which God made with David at the time he revealed to him that Solomon would build the Temple, of which the reign of Solomon pre-figures the millennium reign-a type). Is this not what the Lord had in mind when He states that "...thou shalt see greater things than these...."(John 1:50)?

This 1000 year reign will be characterized by the righteous reign of the Lord Jesus Christ, and, as J. Dwight Pentecost summarized , a time of peace, joy, comfort, justice, the removal of the curse, no sickness, healing of the deformed, no immaturity, economic prosperity, and holiness. This holiness will be manifested through the King and the King's subjects, the JEWS. This holiness, this trait of Jews("an Israelite"-John 1:47) having "...no guile", is realization of the promise of the New Covenant, and this is what the Lord Jesus Christ was alluding to in John.

Indeed, the millennium kingdom will be the fruition, the display, and the fulfillment of 3 covenants promised in The Old Testament-the Abrahamic, the Davidic, and the New Covenant. The Lord Jesus Christ was prophesizing partial fulfillment of the New Covenant in John 1:47. Part of the promise of the New Covenant was that the Jews would be given a new heart, and a new spirit:

"But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people." Jeremiah 31:33

"At that time they shall call Jerusalem the throne of the LORD; and all the nations shall be gathered unto it, to the name of the LORD, to Jerusalem: NEITHER SHALL THEY WALK ANY MORE AFTER THE IMAGINATION OF THEIR EVIL HEART." Jeremiah 3:17

"Therefore say, Thus saith the Lord GOD; I will even gather you from the people, and assemble you out of the countries where ye have been scattered, and I will give you the land of Israel. And they shall come thither, and they shall take away all the detestable things thereof and all the abominations thereof from thence. And I will give them one heart, and I will put a new spirit within you; and I will take the stony heart out of their flesh, and will give them an heart of flesh: THAT THEY MAY WALK IN MY STATUTES, AND KEEP MINE ORDINANCES, AND DO THEM: and they shall be my people, and I will be their God." Ezekiel 11:17-20

"For I will take you from among the heathen, and gather you out of all countries, and will bring you into your own land. Then will I sprinkle clean water upon you, and ye shall be clean: from all your filthiness, and from all your idols, will I cleanse you. A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them. And ye shall dwell in the land that I gave to your fathers; and ye shall be my people, and I will be your God." Ezekiel 36:24-28

"Behold, I will gather them out of all countries, whither I have driven them in mine anger, and in my fury, and in great wrath; and I will bring them again unto this place, and I will cause them to dwell safely: And they shall be my people, and I will be their God: And I will give them one heart, and one way, that they may fear me for ever, for the good of them, and of their children after them: And I will make an everlasting covenant with them, that I will not turn away from them, to do them good; but I will put my fear in their hearts, that they shall not depart from me." Jereimah 32:37-40

And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.. “ Jeremiah 31:34

(compare with “They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain: for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the LORD, as the waters cover the sea.” –Isaiah 11:8/”For the earth shall be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the LORD, as the waters cover the sea.”- Hab 2:14).

This is future, on earth, on land, in the millennium kingdom.

As Columbo would say, "That clears that up!”

So, in addressing the question:”can one go an entire day without sinning?”, in this dispensation of the grace of God, as outline by Paul in Romans-Philemon, the answer is no, for “For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God”-we sin in deed, word, thought, for in our flesh :…dwelleth no good thing…”(Romans 7:18).

But, it seems that, in the future, this ability will be realized.

“Jesus saw Nathanael coming to him, and saith of him, Behold an Israelite indeed, in whom is no guile!”

If these “…things are true….” that I write, “…think on these things…”(Philippians 4:8).

In Christ,
John M. Whalen
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software