Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Old 11-25-2008, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiemama View Post
The Bible says "thou shalt not kill" and we all use that as our basis to say abortion is wrong. But some are trying to do away with that verse "if the mothers life is in danger" instead of just obeying the commandment (thou shalt not kill) they are saying "thou shalt not kill unless not killing would kill someone else". There are actually several Bible Believers who believe the same as me on this issue, I know a few in my own home church.
Whether or not you know others who believe as you do should not matter...what YOU believe does matter.

In my opinion, the "mother's life is in danger" argument is a false argument, because the percentage of pregnancies that truly 'need' to be terminated for that reason are so infinitesimal as to be practically non-existent.

And I don't believe in the 'rape/incest' exceptions, either.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 11-25-2008, 09:36 PM

Aussiemama, yes the Commandment says not to kill. But Samuel hewed Agag in pieces. God told the Israelites to wipe out every person that lived in Jericho, and in turn the entirety of Canaan. God killed Ananias and Saphira. The list goes on and on. Simply saying that killing someone is wrong without checking the circumstances doesn't work.

I'd recommend just leaving it here: cases where abortion is necessary to save the life of the mother are so rare that they are the exception, not the rule, and they are referred to most of the time just so people can excuse killing a child that they don't want to be responsible for. No one says it's the right thing to do if that circumstance happens to occur, but Biblically it would be the better thing. Children are an heritage, but God creates an inseperable bond between a man and a woman that should not be broken by anything, children included.

(This coming from a guy who strongly believes every doctor that has performed an abortion should be executed for murder by the government of his/her own state.)
Old 11-25-2008, 10:01 PM
Vendetta Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittn1 View Post
What, pray tell, is a "zoom dweemie?"
I beg your pardon; I made a rare typographical error. The expression is "zoom dweebie." I would define it as a person who is exceptionally exasperating in some way, on a consistent basis. It has no relation to the current term "dweeb;" "zoom dweebie" was in widespread use forty years ago.

In fact, I suspect that "dweeb" can probably be traced, etymologically speaking, to "zoom dweebie," although the meanings are different. Kinda like what's happened to "gay."

There is only one slang word (an adjective) I know of that has maintained its precise meaning throughout many decades: it is used by teenagers today exactly as it was by teenagers fifty years ago. (It's not dirty.) Can you guess what it is?
Old 11-25-2008, 11:06 PM
Bro. Parrish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here Am I View Post
Brother, I was not in any way condoning any perceived 'name calling' by anyone here: I thought that was apparent....
And sometimes, it is necessary to say things, in love, that might come across as being 'harsh':

"Ye fools and blind:"
" ...hypocrites!"
"Ye blind guides ..."
"Thou blind Pharisee ..."
"Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?" (Matthew 23:19-33 excerpts)
LOL, well I'm sorry my friend, I don't see what on earth that has to do with this topic, it just seems like more out of context scripture being tossed out to defend someone's attempt to belittle someone's opinions on a public forum. Honestly, I don't mean to offend you, but that's exactly what it seems like to me, and I could pull out a list of verses myself at this point, but I really don't like using God's Word in that manner, and I don't care to argue about it.

Seriously, I don't care if a member of the forum thinks babies are born on mars and fly here on purple UFO's, we can still show them the respect of not calling them or their ideas "obsessed" or "blinded" or "ignorant," or "retarded." I'm hoping we all agree on this, even if no one here is polite enough to apologize for the remarks.

I do agree with you 100% when you say the percentage of pregnancies that truly 'need' to be terminated for that reason are so infinitesimal as to be practically non-existent, and I know you and I agree on the heart of the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta Ride
There is only one slang word (an adjective) I know of that has maintained its precise meaning throughout many decades: it is used by teenagers today exactly as it was by teenagers fifty years ago. (It's not dirty.) Can you guess what it is?
Now this is a very good question VR, and I've got to take a shot brother...
is the word: COOL?
Old 11-25-2008, 11:19 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta Ride View Post
I
I vote for 'Cool'..as in 50 yrs.ago='Cool Man!' Today it would be
more like...'Cool Bro'.

Billie
Old 11-26-2008, 07:22 AM

"Here Am I", you need to examine the quotes that you are using to justify your use of harsh words.

Who said them?
To whom was He speaking?
Old 11-26-2008, 11:17 AM

Thanks for clearing that up, VR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billie View Post
I vote for 'Cool'..as in 50 yrs.ago='Cool Man!' Today it would be
more like...'Cool Bro'.

Billie
I vote for "cool" too.....although I'm getting visions of Fonzie as I type this!
Old 11-26-2008, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Tim View Post
"Here Am I", you need to examine the quotes that you are using to justify your use of harsh words.

Who said them?
To whom was He speaking?
I know and you know Who said them, and to whom He was speaking.

My point is this: sometimes it's okay to use harsher terms towards others. "Name-calling" isn't always a bad thing.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1171611 View Post
(This coming from a guy who strongly believes every doctor that has performed an abortion should be executed for murder by the government of his/her own state.)
And what do you believe should be done to the women who undergo those same abortions?
Old 11-26-2008, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta Ride View Post
"Cool", sometimes spelled "Kewl" online.