Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:03 PM

Location: San Diego, California, the most vile state in the Union
Default Side by Side

They lie on the table side by side
The Holy Bible and the TV Guide.
One is well worn and cherished with pride--
Not the Bible, but the TV Guide.
One is used daily to help folks decide.
No, not the Bible, but the TV Guide.
As the pages are turned, what shall they see?
Oh, what does it matter, turn on the TV.
So they open the book in which they confide.
No, not the Bible, but the TV Guide.
The Word of God is seldom read.
Maybe a verse before they fall into bed.
Exhausted and sleepy and tired as can be.
Not from reading the Bible, from watching TV
So then back to the table side by side,
Lie the Holy Bible and the TV Guide.
No time for prayer, no time for the Word,
The plan of Salvation is seldom heard.
But forgiveness of sin, so full and free,
Is found in the Bible, not on TV.

-Author Unknown
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 02-06-2008, 09:49 AM
Bible thumper

Sad but too often true. Thanks for that.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:35 AM
DarlovesJesus

We have not watched T.V. for many years. We have a T.V. in the house but no cable hook up or antenna. I use my T.V. for 'clean' Christian or family movies only ~ dvd's.

We were accused once by a denominational group that we were abusing our two boys because we would not let them watch T.V. God put it on our hearts not to watch T.V. The Bible states that if you are 'watching it', you are 'doing it' in your heart. Not this family!

I believe that if you are a true follower of Christ then you won't want to watch T.V. or go to movie theaters. God won't let you. Where do you find the time to study your Bible if you are so wrapped up in T.V. anyway? I couldn't even tell you who the current 'movie stars' or 'T.V. stars' are today. Who cares? Not me.

One person stated to me "well....God hasn't told me not to watch T.V."!!!. Does God have to tell you not to jump off a tall building?
Old 02-09-2008, 08:00 AM
jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarlovesJesus View Post
I believe that if you are a true follower of Christ then you won't want to watch T.V. or go to movie theaters. God won't let you.
This is not completely true. Christians do many wrong things - the CLOSER we are to the Lord, the less we will want to watch junk - but true Christians can compromise, be carnal, backslide, take their eyes off of the Lord. It is easy to get temporarily lukewarm or cool in the things of God - and at a time like that, allow some wrong movie, book, or music into our lives, and one thing leads to another. The more you compromise with entertainment, the easier it is to compromise further.

I wish we were all sinless and never made wrong, sinful choices - but the fact is, we all have. Though we can take steps to maintain our walks with the Lord and ensure that our misteps are only temporary and not ongoing.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:40 AM
DarlovesJesus

Hello Jerry;

I understand what you are saying, however my statement may not be completely true for you. It is completely true for us! We have been told by God not to watch the garbage that is on T.V. Shall I sin and go against God? God forbid!!!

We DO NOT have access to T.V. for the same reasons you mention: compromise, backsliding, carnal, etc.... If you have it in your house chances are you are going to watch it, surfing the channels. Some people are so very strong in the Lord they don't want to watch T.V., but a lot of Christians are not strong enough to just say 'no'. I do not miss anything about the trashy garbage that is on T.V. today.

A good example is a friend that proclaims to be a Christian lent me a vhs and I specifically asked her if there where any cursing or nude scenes in the movie. You know, the things we are not to be seeing or the things our ears are not to hear. She said absolutely not. The first few minutes of the movie the star was taking the name of our Holy God in vane. Out popped the video and I took it out of my house. Maybe you don't live as strict as we do, but that is how we choose to live as God states in His Word.

I don't know you, nor do I want to offend you, but it almost sounds like you are making excuses for Christians to live as they please. There is NO compromise!!! You either live for Christ or you do not. Yes, we all sin, but as we strive to become more like Jesus, He takes away those desires of worldliness. Don't forget...the whole purpose of this walk is to become just like Jesus Christ. Again, I will say, if you profess to be a Christian, then you will NOT WANT to watch T.V. or anything that would offend our Lord. Would Jesus watch T.V.? NO!!! We should not want to defile our temple with trash! This is the way we choose to live and I believe I am correct in saying ~ this is how God wants all of us to live.

God bless you.
Love in Christ, DarlovesJesus

Last edited by DarlovesJesus; 02-10-2008 at 08:44 AM.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:13 AM
jerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarlovesJesus View Post
I understand what you are saying, however my statement may not be completely true for you. It is completely true for us! We have been told by God not to watch the garbage that is on T.V. Shall I sin and go against God? God forbid!!!
I didn't say God wouldn't tell a believer not to watch garbage, however, this is the statement you made:

Quote:
I believe that if you are a true follower of Christ then you won't want to watch T.V. or go to movie theaters. God won't let you.
God does not physically stop a believer from watching TV. Christians can and do sin and compromise. So your statement is not true as a general rule.

I am glad the Lord has convicted you about the TV and that you are heeding His guidance - but your statement sounded like a true Christian would never or could never compromise in that manner, which is not true.

Quote:
Maybe you don't live as strict as we do, but that is how we choose to live as God states in His Word.
I believe in strict Biblical standards. Yes, there are times I have compromised and watched things that turned out to be less than pure (no, I do not watch TV as a general rule; however, I have watched some things I regret. Does that mean I am not a Christian, or my salvation is in doubt? No - but it means that I could have faced God's chastisement if I did not repent and make that area right.

Quote:
I don't know you, nor do I want to offend you, but it almost sounds like you are making excuses for Christians to live as they please. There is NO compromise!!! You either live for Christ or you do not. Yes, we all sin, but as we strive to become more like Jesus, He takes away those desires of worldliness. Don't forget...the whole purpose of this walk is to become just like Jesus Christ. Again, I will say, if you profess to be a Christian, then you will NOT WANT to watch T.V. or anything that would offend our Lord. Would Jesus watch T.V.? NO!!! We should not want to defile our temple with trash! This is the way we choose to live and I believe I am correct in saying ~ this is how God wants all of us to live.
I agree that believers should desire to and strive to live holy - but you are not Biblical if you are trying to teach no believers will compromise, backslide, or sin. All believers still have a sin nature until we are glorified in Heaven - and even the BEST of believers still sin every day:

1 John 1:8-10 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

1 John 2:1-2 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

Ecclesiastes 7:20 For there is not a just (ie. saved) man upon earth, that doeth good, and sinneth not.

No, I am not excusing sin - but none of us have arrived yet. If you think you have, you are fooling yourself.

I do believe in striving against sin - and the times that I have not, I admit they are sin and repent of it.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:38 PM
ok.book.guy

I'm right there with you! So was Brother Lester Roloff. Actually there are quite a number of comitted chritians who take this path to blessing and obedience. I ran into a christian at work who told me the same thing. As for me and my house, we only use our TV as a monitor for the very few good videos out there. I've got reformation videos, KJV videos, and there are some good "family" videos out there. Usually these are 40 or 50 years ago and have been released on DVD.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:43 AM
DarlovesJesus

Greetings in Christ Jerry;

Thank you for the scriptures Jerry.

May I ask you Jerry, are you a nit-picker of words on this forum?

I am not a Bible scholar, nor am I a theologin, nor am I a dictionary, nor am I a perfect person. You make me out to be a self righteous, non-sinning person. You did not come out directly and say that, but God told my spirit that is what you are saying. No, I am not a self righteous person. I can and do type things incorrectly by saying the wrong words~we are not perfect! You have taken my meaning wrong.

I am a woman of God and I live according to His Word, the Bible. I make no excuses for my strict walk. I do not compromise the Word of God. I live it, I breath it, I take heed to the warnings God gives us in His Word. I am not perfected yet, but I am on my way. I am not a Sunday 'only' Christian. I take the Bible VERY SERIOUSLY every day of my life! I take God's Word for what it means. I am not wishy-washy, I am not lukewarm and I don't straddle the fence. I do not live according to 'man's' word ~ I live according to God's Word!!! I am on my knees with tears rolling down my face because of the sin that corrupts this world~my heart aches for the unsaved.

I am not trying to teach anyone anything~not this gal. I am not a teacher. I am just sharing what is on my heart, and God certainly has a lot to do with what I share with others. God knows my heart. You do not.

Revelation 3:16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth. A lukewarm church or a lukewarm self professed Christian is one that compromises with the world and resembles its surrounding society; it professes Christ, yet in reality does not know Him and is in a spiritually wretched state. Christ severly warns the church about His judgment against spiritual lukewarmness.

No, God does not stop a Christian physically from doing or not doing anything....you have the choice. However, God can nudge your spirit and if you don't listen, He won't be very happy. I still hold firm that if a person calls himself a Christian, he had better be walking like Christ. That's all I have to say about that. Too many people play games with this walk~I am not one of them. I am a sinner, but you'd better believe that the instant I realize that I have sinned or said something wrong ~ I repent immediately. No questions asked!

Matthew 7:13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction and many there be which go in thereat: 14: Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

Notice that God is giving us only two choices: life or death. There are also two kinds of people: one kind of Christian comes in at the strait and narrow and walks the life of Jesus. The other plays church....walking in the broadway ~ no limitations and no restrictions. Walk on in and have a good time.

Once we enter into that gate we are not done, we are not in Heaven yet. We still have a narrow way to walk. Don't think that because we've entered in we can do as we please. Jesus said there is a narrow way to walk and few find it. Few! Not many!

Easy believism rejects that perseverance is necessary. Perseverance is very necessary!

The problem with the church's today is that so many of the so called men of God are not teaching the truth. Not teaching how to get out of the sin business and how to stay out of the sin business!!! They water down the Word so that it makes Christianity look like an easy game. Not so. This is not a game and it is not easy to live like Christ.

People need to open their Bibles and learn for themselves what the Word of God is all about. If we don't read it, how can we truly know how to live as Christ? We can't.

So Jerry I am not fooling myself. I know the Bible and I know the scriptures that you have quoted me. I live them! .....As for me and my house we will serve the Lord.......100 percent wholeheartedly. No compromise! Sorry if that offends you, but in truth God's Word offends a lot of people.

Like the article 'Side by Side' states that brought us to this conversation: ......But forgiveness of sin, so full and free....Is found in the Bible, not on T.V.

God loves you and so do I,
DarlovesJesus
Old 02-12-2008, 11:01 AM
DarlovesJesus

Blessings Ok.Book.Guy;

Thank you for your uplifting words. It soothes my soul. I thank you for understanding where I am coming from~I am a committed Christian and I love it!

I don't know anything about Lester Roloff, but I am going to do some homework. Sounds like a good study.

There truly is not a whole lot of good clean things to watch these days. We, like you, are limited on selections of DVD's of copied vintage programs.

God bless you and your famiily;
DarlovesJesus

Last edited by DarlovesJesus; 02-12-2008 at 11:02 AM. Reason: did not address correctly
Old 02-12-2008, 12:50 PM
timothy

I applaud Darlove's efforts and admire her for it. Hellivision is a pesky addiction best to avoid at all costs. I remember traveling to Alaska and I didn't see tv from the timeI got off the plane until i got back on the plane to come back home. I didn't have time to think about tv for ten days but after a few days there was just this peace, wasn't really worried or anxious about anything... So I would like to get back to that sometime...

But when it ther it's just like, "ok what's on?" I try to keep it limited to sports events the best that I can tho.. so Darlove, keep it up...