Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:47 PM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
Note: to Brother Brandon, I believe that some of the aspects of God’s own image (mind, intellect, will, heart, desire) which were created in Adam, are also given to us through Adam, and that these aspects of God’s own image are in us through Adam. I am not suggesting our creation is like Adam's, only that through Adam we possess certain aspects of God's own image.
Understood. When I say we are created in Adam's image, I mean that we are created with a sin nature and a spirit that requires quickening. Adam was created in God's image, with neither of those.
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 10-28-2008, 04:51 PM
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diligent View Post
In fact, given Jeremiah and David's comments about conception, I think that the obvious default position is that a conceived child is a child in Adam's image (tripartite).
To expound:
Psalms 51:5 Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.
How could David give himself a sin nature before he had either soul or spirit?
Old 10-28-2008, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diligent View Post
To expound:
Psalms 51:5 Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me.
How could David give himself a sin nature before he had either soul or spirit?
I've heard people say that this verse applies to David's mother, not to David himself. Truly there's nothing in that verse to imply anything other than the basic fallen nature of the world itself as it allies to human life.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:59 PM

Same subject, different angle.

When you were saved, you were given eternal life accompanied with the eternal Spirit of God. This occurrence is commonly referred to as the new birth.

Christ illustrated salvation in John 3 using birth, not conception, birth. You were born from the womb once (associated with your life in this flesh) and then "born a second time" (giving you eternal life).
John 1:12-13
12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
13. Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

Thus the popular phrase born of God used repeatedly by John in his first epistle. It was not until you were born of God that you were "quickened." For the illustration to match, the individual's "life" (living soul) begins when they receive their spirit, at birth.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1171611 View Post
I've heard people say that this verse applies to David's mother, not to David himself. Truly there's nothing in that verse to imply anything other than the basic fallen nature of the world itself as it allies to human life.
“Who can bring a clean thing out of an unclean? not one” (Job 14:4).

“What is man, that he should be clean? and he which is born of a woman, that he should be righteous” (Job 15:14)?
Old 10-28-2008, 08:37 PM
Forum Administrator

Here are more interesting verses, where Job appears to say he had a "ghost" before he was born:
Job 3:11 Why died I not from the womb? why did I not give up the ghost when I came out of the belly?

Job 10:18 Wherefore then hast thou brought me forth out of the womb? Oh that I had given up the ghost, and no eye had seen me!

And here is a verse that clearly teaches that a man can do things before he is born:
Hosea 12:3 He took his brother by the heel in the womb, and by his strength he had power with God:
John was "filled with the Holy Ghost" before he was born:
Luke 1:15 For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb.
Just more verses to consider.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:46 PM

Hi, everyone!
The way you discuss things in this thread make this forum the "best" I've ever seen thus far! Very healthy. Amen, brothers!