Doctrine Discussion about matters of the faith.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda S. View Post
Apology accepted Jassy It certainly happens to us all. Not a problem. I try not to get all worked up as I too often speak before I think...but then I also speak what I think after thinking about it and that gets me into trouble too.

Perhaps we should put a disclaimer

You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted then used against you.

Disclaimers might not be a bad idea.
NOTE: I am having a bad day. Step on my toes and see what happens. I disclaim any responsibility for the outcome!

Just kidding. I actually very rarely have "bad mood" days. I'm usually an optimist.

My mother once asked me how I can go through life with "rose-colored glasses" on. I told her - "That's easy. Believe in Jesus."

Unfortunately, she gets very uncomfortable when I make any mention of Jesus.

Jassy
The King James Bible Page SwordSearcher Bible Software
Old 07-20-2009, 08:43 PM

Jassy,

Love the disclaimer! I am apt to use it sometime in the future
Old 07-22-2009, 09:57 AM

Bro. Brandon,

I was reading over this thread again and it doesn't look like I ever adressed this comment you made:

Quote:
Well, no, the Philistines already had their way with Saul, just a few verses up. They cut off his head, paraded his body around the land, and pinned his body to a wall. I suppose of motive was in play, shame and embarrassment over what had been done to the bodies might have been a factor -- but that is mere speculation, just like saying Paul was talking about burning his dead body in 1Co 13.
I stand corrected You are right that they already had had their way with Saul and we would be speculating that the motive is as you mentioned shame or embarrassement.

Bro. George, I was just wondering if after Brandon's post #25 and Jessica's post #32 you still believed I was way off on the sacrifice/martyr thought?

Quote:
Nothing is being said about someone "SACRIFICING" their living "body" - can you imagine the Apostle Paul talking about SACRIFICING himself ("by burning"?) for anyone. This, after years of preaching and teaching about the ONE EFFECTUAL & FINAL "SACRIFICE" [1Corinthian 1:23, 2:2] made by the Lord Jesus Christ (BY "CRUCIFIXION" - NOT by "burning") The verse is talking about GIVING a "body" (a DEAD "body") to be "burned" - NOT a "burnt offering"!

And WingWiper are you still absorbing the info?

Quote:
Still trying to absorb all the posts and I've learned quite a bit. You guyz are amazing...........! Brandon.............1 Sam. 31:12-13 was excellent.
It would be great to hear a summary of what you learned in answer to your question.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda S. View Post

And WingWiper are you still absorbing the info?

It would be great to hear a summary of what you learned in answer to your question.
Sis. Amanda.......

Still absorbing...........? Absolutely.

I'm just enamored if you will over the how this thing was kicked back and forth, how as yourself and other folk kept the focus on this thing scriptural. It was never about salvation, eternal security--- there is no Church Age scripture against cremation.............yet as many folk brought out that any Old Testament scriptures were ensamples.........., but ensamples are not commandments.

Some folk could care less either way about be buried or cremation and it appeared the majority would rather be buried rather than cremated. I understand and do not refute their reasoning at all. You know.....when you have some people look up to you, pose a question--- I don't want to ever be so high minded if I'm not sure........or let me clarify that if I can not put my finger scripturally on it to reach out for help which this forum has completely embraced. A few folk kind of got off topic, but the main thing is/was that from what I can see is everybody's “heart” was in the right place and wanted the scriptures to have final say!

Christ was buried.............his body was not burned. Doctrinally it don't work.............., but practically at least for me personally that'll preach. You gotta go down (humble yourself before God) before you can go up.

Brandon's verse was good that it covered the spectrum and I got a chuckle out that one. Yet it is at least a common thread from what I could discern that anything burned is and was negative. God's wrath is fire...........it's kindled, it's fire.............Num. 11:1, etc. As far as that goes the Gospel is negative (which is opposite of what is being taught) in that something must die first. Christ died [negative] than rose [positive]. No need to preach...............you guyz have already been taught that. God requires justice.............. A God who is all love is perverted. You cannot love without hating. I love my wife............you try and hurt my wife and I'll try to hurt you.

Jumping maybe outside the box the first thing you see in the tabernacle is something burning, yet it (the tabernacle) was laid out like a cross (the crucifixion). We know as others mentioned that Rom. 12:1 talks about presenting our bodies as a living sacrifice, where we know generally speaking a sacrifice was offered by burning. In Dan. 3..........although they were in the fire (literally) the 4th man--- the Son of God kept them from being burnt. Kind of like being born twice-- you die once and being born once and you die twice. Yet we know that 1 Pet 4:12 is not literal...........every feel like a dog chasing his tail? You can not get around the Word of God-- he got it all covered. What's that got to do with it.............? I don't know but I feel better.

Isn't Rom. 12:1 and 1 Cor. 13:3 talking about motive..............? God is asking you to literally die because Christ already did what we couldn't do, yet a living sacrifice is symbolic to our body not our life. God can't use a dead body. I gave my life to Christ when I got saved; He's in me and I'm in Him, but my body which is still subject to the god of this world (2 Cor. 4:4) is a tad different. The burning in 1 Cor. 13:3 is not literally burning our body but is an indication of our motive.................? Right?

A dead sacrifice is no good as was a dirty priest could not stand before God (Old Testament) just as we cannot come to God dirty, we need 1 John to clean us up as to stay in fellowship. I feel like I'm preaching to the choir...............but we all know our standing and state are not the same (Rom. 6:13). My body is acceptable to God when I do good works and we all know about then bon-fires that will be at the Judgment Seat.

I've ranted enough............. and I'm sure others might disagree, yet I find, after reaching out, study............... no Pauline doctrine suggesting either way. I'm already seated there regardless...............God will put us back together. I am prepared-- thanks to you guys to offer an answer based on the Book. My opinion does not count..............
Old 07-22-2009, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingwiper View Post
Sis. Amanda.......

God is asking you to literally die because Christ already did what we couldn't do, yet a living sacrifice is symbolic to our body not our life. God can't use a dead body.
Sorry I booped, scribal error..............

God is NOT asking you to literally die because Christ already did what we couldn't do, yet a living sacrifice is symbolic to our body not our life. God can't use a dead body.