Bible Studies Post and discuss short Bible studies.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:22 AM

1 John 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

The Word Of God calls you a liar.

We are encouraged NOT to sin, but knowing that when we do CHRIST DIED FOR OUR SINS!

1 John 2:1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

Do you read that? Jesus Christ is the righteous one, not us.

Careful on the path that you walk
Romans 10:4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:07 AM

Not possible to live a Sinless life. The above verses make it clear.
We do not have to do the physical act,it can be in our thought process.

1 John 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:01 PM
wwjd.usa

Quote:
Originally Posted by peopleoftheway View Post
9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.

The Word Of God calls you a liar.
You know, if I would have said that I never sin, then you would be correct that I'm a liar. This verse says that every single person has sinned. (That is before comming to know Jesus.) However, I believe that after a person is saved, the person can gradually live his life without sin. If that would not be so, then why else would Jesus command us us to be as perfect as the father in Heaven is? (Matthew 5:48)

God is perfect, and has never sinned. Jesus commands us to be perfect as God is. If Jesus tells us to be perfect as God is, then this means that a person can become perfect, as God is, and not sin. Why else would Jesus tell people to do the impossible?
Old 09-24-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjd.usa View Post
You know, if I would have said that I never sin, then you would be correct that I'm a liar. This verse says that every single person has sinned. (That is before comming to know Jesus.) However, I believe that after a person is saved, the person can gradually live his life without sin. If that would not be so, then why else would Jesus command us us to be as perfect as the father in Heaven is? (Matthew 5:48)

God is perfect, and has never sinned. Jesus commands us to be perfect as God is. If Jesus tells us to be perfect as God is, then this means that a person can become perfect, as God is, and not sin. Why else would Jesus tell people to do the impossible?

You need to focus on the next verse
1 John 2:1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

Do you think John is talking to non-believers or believers?

You are on seriously dangerous ground to say you are perfect.
We will only attain perfection when we reach Heaven, until then we are all a bunch of sinners saved by Grace through faith and that faith is what gets us by until out PERFECT LORD Jesus Christ calls us home or comes for us.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:07 PM

Only the Holy Spirit can help you not to sin. our duty is only to yeild our body unto God.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:40 PM

This is a discussion that took place quite a bit in patristic writting if I recall correctly, but more so during the reformation (especially the radical reformation). Some believe it is possible for a Christian to completely put away the ways of the flesh. I personally don't think we can put away all sin in our lives. If someone were to achieve a state of perfection it would be not of his own doing, but of God.

Philippians 2:13 (KJV) For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

I think that's very important to remember. I also think it is equally important for us to remember that there are going to be rewards awaiting us in the Kingdom (Crowns?), and that we should be completely focused on fulfilling God's purpose for us here while we sojourn in the world.

Ephesians 2:10 (KJV) For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

I for one want to serve the Lord primarily because His pleasure is my pleasure. I've sometimes thought that when I finally see my Master smile that I will loose it, quite literally. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. The smile of the Lord is the greatest jewel in Heaven. The second reason I want to do good works in this life is because there is a reward awaiting me if I should stand fast in God's purpose.

Revelation 22:12 (KJV) And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.

Paul talked about perfection, which fits this thread.

Philippians 3:8-14 (KJV) Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ, And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith: That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death; If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead. Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus. Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

Let us also press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus!

Peace and Love,
Stephen
Old 10-02-2008, 01:50 PM

Getting back to the thread topic...

We all agree that
all have sinned
and
If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
Allow me to go back to the original question, can one go an entire day without sinning?

That's a simple question. (Maybe there's a doctrinal implication intended by WWJD, yet nevertheless the question was simply put.)

To this question I will authoritatively answer, Yes, any child of God can go as long as he/she wants to without sinning.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
To this question I will authoritatively answer, Yes, any child of God can go as long as he/she wants to without sinning.
How?
I know I cannot get through a day when I haven't had the old man bring up some temptation in my head that I rebuke, I wrestle with sin every day of my life but I don't give in, the thought is still there, I mean I am a young, unmarried man, I still have some thoughts in my head that shouldn't be there but I still get them, im only human that's my flaw. At the end of that day I fall on my knees and ask for forgiveness of my sins with the only advocate that can take care of that, Christ Almighty.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:25 PM
fundy

A question or two for wwjd.usa,

If it were possible to not sin for a whole day, why not two? or three? ...surely giving up sin completely would just be a matter of time and effort on the part of the (ex) sinner, just like giving up smoking or drinking...one day at a time until you are "clean"?

Once you had defeated sin, the original curse would no longer have a hold on you, would this mean you would never have to die and face judgement? or would the sins that you commited before you defeated sin still condem you?
or, now being perfect by your own effort, would you then have the ability to forgive yourself of those earler sins as well?

Once you have achieved this state of perfection, would you even need the Bible? as most of it would not apply to you anymore...especially the bit about Jesus dying for your sins....a sacrifice now totally redundant.

fundy
Old 10-02-2008, 04:45 PM
wwjd.usa

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundy View Post
A question or two for wwjd.usa,

If it were possible to not sin for a whole day, why not two? or three? ...surely giving up sin completely would just be a matter of time and effort on the part of the (ex) sinner, just like giving up smoking or drinking...one day at a time until you are "clean"?

Once you had defeated sin, the original curse would no longer have a hold on you, would this mean you would never have to die and face judgement? or would the sins that you commited before you defeated sin still condem you?
or, now being perfect by your own effort, would you then have the ability to forgive yourself of those earler sins as well?

Once you have achieved this state of perfection, would you even need the Bible? as most of it would not apply to you anymore...especially the bit about Jesus dying for your sins....a sacrifice now totally redundant.

fundy
You know, if you look at the example of David, you will see that he did not sin and was close to God most of the time, but not always. Once he has reached this state of perfect, Saten sent him temptations. Some temptations he defeated, and he did not sin at that time, while into other temptations he fell, and ended up sinning. Some temptations, he fell double time, like he fell into a temptation, and commited adultry. Then the double fall, is when David has killed the husband of that female in order to marry the female. (2 Samuel 11)

whenever we defeat temptations that come to us throughout all day long, we have lived a day without sin. If we live for five days without sinning, then usually we are not as much on the guard against the Devil. Once we are not so much on our guard, it is easier saten to tempt us, and to make us sin.

John 13
"10Jesus saith to him, He that is washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit: and ye are clean, but not all.

11For he knew who should betray him; therefore said he, Ye are not all clean."

Whenever Jesus refers to clean, he refers that the disciples lived without sin at that time

Last edited by wwjd.usa; 10-02-2008 at 05:05 PM.