View Single Post
Old 06-25-2009, 03:07 PM
whirlwind

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbear View Post
I'm trying to understand where you are coming from. Are you are saying that what is written in the bible is in code; the plain meaning is not the real meaning but the spirit has to reveal the hidden meaning? Or are you saying that the scripture means the thing it plainly states but also means something else at the same time?
When I first began to study I was taught that Scripture can have three meanings but they will never conflict. No, I don't think it is written in code. The plain meaning is the letter, or the milk of the Word and as such is filling and wholesome. But, as quoted previously, when we are ready the Spirit feeds us meat, deeper understanding. The Words don't change but our understanding of those same words do. So, I would say that I agree with your second question...the scripture means the thing it plainly states but also means something else at the same time," but it will not conflict with the original thought...it is just a deeper understanding.

Quote:
How can I understand the scriptures you quote when God has not seen fit to also give to me the hidden meaning of that scripture?
The same way we all do. We learn from each other for He opens things to each of us at different times on different subjects. If it is time for us to understand...we will. If not...we won't. We just have to be open to Him speaking to us through others as well as to us directly through His Word. For this reason the following verses are among my favorites as I believe it applies to us, members of forums such as this:
Malachi 3:16 Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before Him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon His name. And they shall be Mine, saith the LORD of hosts, in that day when I make up My jewels; and I will spare them, as a man spareth his own son that serveth him.

Quote:
Whirlwind, I am not accusing you of anything. I asked you a question. You still haven't answered the question. I'll repeat the question and hope you will agree to answer it.

My question from post# 77:

What would you do if you felt that the Holy Spirit showed you that Jesus did not literally come in the flesh? Would you believe the spirit? Or would you believe the literal words as recorded in the bible?

I didn't feel you were accusing me Greenbear. I just wondered if I had written something you felt wasn't of the right spirit. I thought I did answer your question but it was in a round-about way. Sorry.

To answer your question , I can't imagine that happening. To be told Jesus didn't come in the flesh is in opposition to the Word. As He is the Word and He tells us that, "Lo, I come (in the volume of the book it is written of Me)," everything must be IN THE BOOK.

But, I understand what you are saying. A dear friend has suddenly fallen into the preterist camp. He quotes verses that he sees as proving it where I see the exact opposite. It is the same with rapture believers. Some believe it is written while others, of which I am one....see the doctrine of a rapture before the tribulation as unbiblical.