View Single Post
Old 05-30-2009, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winman View Post

I would disagree with whosoever said the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus was not preached to the Ethiopian eunuch. Look at the very scriptures this man was reading:

Acts 8:27 And he arose and went: and, behold, a man of Ethiopia, an eunuch of great authority under Candace queen of the Ethiopians, who had the charge of all her treasure, and had come to Jerusalem for to worship,
28 Was returning, and sitting in his chariot read Esaias the prophet.
29 Then the Spirit said unto Philip, Go near, and join thyself to this chariot.
30 And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest?
31 And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him.
32 The place of the scripture which he read was this, He was led as a sheep to the slaughter; and like a lamb dumb before his shearer, so opened he not his mouth:
33 In his humiliation his judgment was taken away: and who shall declare his generation? for his life is taken from the earth.
34 And the eunuch answered Philip, and said, I pray thee, of whom speaketh the prophet this? of himself, or of some other man?
35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus.

How could Philip have not teached the death, burial, and resurrection? These verses were prophesy of Jesus being put to death. It says he began at these very verses, so it is not a wild assumption to believe that he explained to the eunuch how Jesus died on the cross for our sins, and rose from the dead. This is the Gospel.
Never does Philip say once the death for forgiveness of sins. it is kingdom Gospel from the previous chapters that put the context of which Gospel he was teaching. It does state being led as a sheep to slaughter and this is true but NEVER DOES IT SAY HIS DEATH BURIAL AND RESURRECTION ARE FOR THE FORGIVENESS OF SINS. He is reading from Isiah. It is descriptive prophecy of what was to become of the MESSIAH it is just a prophetic narrative of what would happen when their King would come it was so Israel would know who their King was when he arrived. and it is from there Philip taught that Jesus was the Son of God the crucified King and Messiah the awaited one of Israel which the Leaders of Israel killed. this is whom the Eunuch believed he was.

sure he taught him Christ was crucified, was buried and God raised him up the third day. but he never equates that event tot eh forgiveness of sins of the Eunuch. the Eunuch never confesses his belief on Christ for the forgiveness of sons as you and I. he confesses him only as the Son of God. Philip came short of presenting the gospel of Grace just as Peter did in Acts 2:38

To think Philip taught the gospel of grace is to look at the scriptures with one gospel glasses. but I realize you are not a right divider. but I would refer you to Georges previous post as well.

Last edited by chette777; 05-30-2009 at 01:11 AM.