View Single Post
Old 05-22-2009, 04:41 PM

Default Matthew 28; Acts 2

I've been thinking so far how can simplicity become a perplexity. The command Matthew 28 and the practice of Acts 2 of water baptism are of exactly of todays age. John's baptism on the otherhand, is to be viewed in two ways:

1. Water unto repentance. This is a cutomarily used by John the Baptist in conjuction to the confession of sins. He indeed baptized water but unto repentance.

Matthew 3:6 And were baptized of him in Jordan, confessing their sins.
Matthew 3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:

2. Water unto identification and obedience. Christ who knew no sin, faithfully submitted to identify with his people and so to fulfill the righteousness thus was no longer a typical John's baptism of water.

Matthew 3:15 And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him.

Acts 2 recorded the very first application of Matthew 28. Why did Jesus not give an example to this? This is simply because he was giving an infallible proofs for 40 days about his resurrection. Many of his disciples were not actually believed he resurrected. Some doubted. The bible says Thomas doubted so that Christ needed to just convince them about his own resurection.

Matthew 28:17 And when they saw him, they worshipped him: but some doubted.
John 20:24 But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came.
John 20:25 The other disciples therefore said unto him, We have seen the Lord. But he said unto them, Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe.

Acts 2 is the beginning of the proliferation of the gospel message and the great commission to baptized believers in the church age. This is in no way a John's baptism "unto repentance" but a total obedience to Christ command, in a least manner still subject to John's way of baptism when he baptized Christ for identification. Is Peter message of salvation a death, burial and resurrection? Absloutely yes. Peter preach the same message of the Gospel as with Paul (1 Cor 15). Acts 2 of water baptism to those who gladly received were an addition to them and were actually added by the Lord to the church. This addition to the church simply means it started during the Pentecost and it will end even to the end of this world. Christ, once again said" Go ye therefore... therefore is a conclusive word and I intend not to re-divide it beacuse clearly Christ divided it already.

Acts 2:22 Ye men of Israel, hear these words; Jesus of Nazareth, a man approved of God among you by miracles and wonders and signs, which God did by him in the midst of you, as ye yourselves also know:
Acts 2:23 Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain:
Acts 2:31 He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption.
Acts 2:41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.
Acts 2:47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.
Matthew 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.