View Single Post
Old 05-22-2009, 10:02 AM
Bro. Parrish

Quote:
Originally Posted by chette777 View Post
Oh it seems your nit picking the issue. what baptism did the 11 apostles know of? The instruction to do so in the name of father Son and Holy Ghost does not change the type of baptism... All three person are the Godhead-the authority is God Nothing has changed from pre resurrection to post resurrection as far as the type of Baptism as concerning the 11 Apostles.
LOL, no one is nitpicking anything. I would not go as far to say that you seem "obsessed" with John's baptism, but you are only one of a tiny handful of Christians I have ever seen hammering this position. Does it change the type of baptism? OF COURSE it changes the type of baptism. Their were similarities of course (water immersion) but the death, burial and resurrection of Christ CHANGED EVERYTHING. In fact, THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT BELIEVER'S BAPTISM IS ALL ABOUT. That's why Paul clearly states:

"Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life." Romans 6:4

"Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead." Col. 2:12

Do you see John saying that anywhere in history? Nope. John NEVER SAID ANY OF THOSE THINGS about death and being raised from the dead, not even close. Do you see John baptizing people IN THE NAME OF THE LORD JESUS? Can you find it? ...let me know.

Christ's believer's baptism is distinct in that it is TO ALL NATIONS and has always been reserved for those who RECEIVE THE GOSPEL OF CHRIST (Acts 2:41, Acts 8:35-38, Acts 16:29-33, Galatians 1:6-9) It's a simple as the nose on your face, for me it's not complicated and there isn't a flaw in it anywhere.

The change in baptism can be CLEARLY SEEN in Acts 19, when Paul said unto them, caps are mine...

"...Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.
Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus. When they heard this, they were baptized IN THE NAME OF THE LORD JESUS." (Acts 19:3-5)

I have made these comments for doctrinal clarity. I'm sorry brother, you can't find the baptism of John anywhere in the great commission, even if you had a microscope and a blow torch. I appreciate the discussion, and I'm glad we can both agree that believer's baptism is for today, and I certainly respect your views. I know you like to get the last word in, so have at it. But I'm not going to debate it with you further because I realize for some reason you seem to be kind of "hung up" on the baptism of John, and I have no desire to go there with you. God bless you friend as you continue to seek His truth on this issue.