View Single Post
Old 11-17-2008, 05:21 AM

Default Sola Scriptura !

Good answers from both Kiwi and Fundy {Hello Southern Cross folks, from a Big Dipper folk }

Traditional Anglican:--- What you said is exactly what I think about the R.C. type folks... And I have been inside several of the Roman Catholic "Mission Churches" in California for tours and to get a bit of "history" when I used to live there. There is a smaller one (whose name is shared by a State Prison-btw) in the San Joaquin Valley that has a huge statue of a woman in a dress at the front of the sanctuary area...and she isn't even holding a baby...like they normally depict Mary in the paintings and candle holders/ statuettes. That figure was at least 5 1/2 feet tall with a big dress and standing about 4 or 5 feet above the floor.

I understand them having a crucifix on a necklace or on a wall ( I prefer a plain cross) so they can remember Christ Jesus suffering on Calvary... BUT--when I see people praying to a statue of a woman who died in the 1st Century A.D. --- I say: No Thank you very much!

The odd thing about talking with R.C.'s (if they will actually try to defend their practices) is that when you read them a Bible verse or encourage them to read from their own Bible-(which several R.C.'s don't even own!)- to challenge what they are doing, they will tell you that The Roman Catholic Church brought forth the Bible,,,therefore if what they are reading in God's Word conflicts with the thinkings/doings of Rome...they will usually stick with the teachings/traditions of the Vatican.

But, stick with it--- Plant the seeds... maybe, someday ... the Word will take hold and grow some roots. Hey! -- why not invite them to visit your Church sometime..? The R.E.C. is a formal/conservative/liturgical/ style setting and they might feel less "intimidated" than if they were to visit somewhere else. { It's the "Honey versus Vinegar" approach -}