View Single Post
Old 05-25-2009, 06:28 PM

Default Repentance

Hi all,

I think I understand what you are all saying about repentance. I believe we need to admit our sins and that they are wrong (regret them) before we come to Christ. And in doing so, we must repent (turn away) from them. I don't think turning away means that you will never do them again. I think it means that you never want to, you understand that the actions/thoughts etc. are corrupt and cannot be found in heaven. If we can't repent, then we don't know what Jesus died for. In that moment, turning your back on sin, you are starting a new life. That isn't to say that you won't mess up, but Christ wants to help you stop and you are professing that you will let Him. Just pray for the strength! You know God wants to give it to you!

I found this definition on this site:

REPENTANCE

REPENT'ANCE, n.

1. Sorrow for any thing done or said; the pain or grief which a person experiences in consequence of the injury or inconvenience produced by his own conduct.

2. In theology, the pain, regret or affliction which a person feels on account of his past conduct, because it exposes him to punishment. This sorrow proceeding merely from the fear of punishment, is called legal repentance, as being excited by the terrors of legal penalties, and it may exist without an amendment of life.

3. Real penitence; sorrow or deep contrition for sin, as an offense and dishonor to God, a violation of his holy law, and the basest ingratitude towards a Being of infinite benevolence. This is called evangelical repentance, and is accompanied and followed by amendment of life.

Repentance is a change of mind, or a conversion from sin to God.

Godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation. 2Cor. 7. Matt. 3.

Repentance is the relinquishment of any practice, from conviction that it has offended God.

Definition from Webster's American Dictionary of the English Language, 1828.
Previous word: repent. Next word: repenting.

"From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand. " Matthew 4:17

God Bless you and your wife, please keep us updated.