View Single Post
Old 07-23-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Greenbear said - And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

I believe monogamy is the type for Christ and His church. However, unbelievers don't necessarily live by that type in some cultures. If a man comes to Christ with more than one wife, if we require that he abandon his wives and children, we are requiring him to disobey Jesus' clear statement, as well as Paul's.
If we don't require that he abandon this lifestyle we are allowing him to fornicate and therefore we will have to put him away from the fellowship of the believers.

Paul says - I Cor. 7:2 Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.

Quote:
I Cor 7:20 Let every man abide in the same calling wherein he was called.
And please do not use this verse to defend having more than one wife!? The context is completely having to do with believers and unbelievers staying married! If one is going to use this verse to defend polygamy then one must use it to defend homosexuality.

Quote:
Greenbear said: Clearly, some people have a problem with this, but in my humble opinion, your problem is not with me but with God's word.
And in my humble opinion, my problem is with you on this subject as I completely understand what the Scriptures say regarding this.

Last edited by Amanda S.; 07-23-2009 at 10:34 AM.