View Single Post
Old 07-18-2009, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbear View Post
1 Corinthians 13:3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

Aloha brother George,

This verse comes to my mind:

Romans 9:3 For I could wish that myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh:

The idea of being sacrificed.

Jen
For I wish that myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren...

Paul is expressing the idea here of a substitutionary sacrifice, himself for his kinsmen according to the flesh. He knows full well it's not possible but is using hyperbole.

I think 1 Cor. 13:3 does mean something different from Rom 9:3.

1 Cor. 13:3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

I think he's saying even if he (or any of us) gives everything he possesses including his body, for the furtherance of the gospel, if he does it by constraint, not in love, he has no reward.

Same idea as:

1 Corinthians 9:17 For if I do this thing willingly, I have a reward: but if against my will, a dispensation of the gospel is committed unto me.

I could be wrong, just a thought.

A side note: Perhaps Paul had been shown by the Lord the manner of his death? I have no idea how Paul died.

Last edited by greenbear; 07-19-2009 at 12:02 AM.