View Single Post
Old 07-14-2008, 12:17 PM
Connie

Thank you for addressing my concern, Steven. I didn't see this thread until now and will have to think more about it later. But I would say that I gave those practical reasons as insufficient reasons, since the undertaking would have to be spiritual and not practical. It's not merely an intellectual enterprise. If we don't now have the men -- or the time -- to do it right, that does not mean it is in itself the wrong thing to do. I believe that men led by the Holy Spirit would probably retain many of the old terms for the reason you give, that they are more exact than any contemporary terms we might substitute. But I can't help but picture the average reader coming across "I trow not" and simply reading "I think not" anyway. The Bible isn't only for exacting readers such as yourself, it's for the most unlearned as well, and the more unfamiliar the words are to such readers, the more they are kept at arm's length from the word of God and how can that be a good thing? If Westcott and Hort had not mutilated the Bible with their thousands of insupportable alterations, it would be easier to think about all this. But I'll have to get back to this later, and again, thanks for your attention to it.