View Single Post
Old 06-03-2009, 06:20 PM

The thread was begun to show appreciation to brother George. It was not meant to puff up anyone with vanity! I'm quite certain that brother George is a humble man and wouldn't become vain from a little appreciation from the brethren here. I agree with brother Forrest that it can be encouraging to hear that one is appreciated for the things they do and the time they take to help teach the brethren.

Have any of you ever told your pastor that you appreciated him and the time that he took to pray and study the Word so that he would be able to preach a good sermon? Or that he gave a good sermon that helped you, edified you or encouraged you? Is that a wrong thing to do? I do not see it as wrong. We can all use encouragement and appreciation.

Psalm 31, although talking about a woman, she is the PRAISE of her family and all that know her! Her thinking is for the others and they praise her for that to show their appreciation.

Read the beginning of Romans 16, where Paul commends and praises several people who are serving the church.

Additionally
1 Thessalonians 5:11 Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do.
12 And we beseech you, brethren to know them which labour among you, and are over you in the Lord, and admonish you;
13 And to esteem them very highly in love for their work's sake. And be at peace among yourselves.

Jassy