View Single Post
Old 05-14-2008, 01:35 PM
Forum Administrator

Default New user registration

Just FYI:

This forum has an anti-spam measure in place that requires new users to answer a simple question. This prevents spam bots from registering on the forum and is more effective than a captcha (image verification) system.

However, there are still really persistent spammers (many of whom are simply paid laborers in under-developed countries) that will manually answer these questions, sign on, and post their spam.

So, I've changed the default registered user group a bit. Until someone has posted, they will be under moderation. Once their first post(s) is/are approved, they will be moved into a non-moderated account. This way spam won't be visible on the forum until I have a chance to check in and delete it. Also, knucklehead posters are often easily identified by their first post, so this is also a simple filtering mechanism.

The downside is that new users will have to wait a while for their posts to become visible on the forum -- usually less than 12 hours since I check in on the forum several times a day.

Anyone who has already been posting on the forum is already in a "non-moderated" user group. You don't need to do anything or worry about your posts being delayed.