View Single Post
Old 04-29-2009, 11:51 AM

Default Re: "CALVINISM: Sound Doctrine?"

Quote:
Question on Romans 9

Hi George, my name is Tim. I just joined the forum. I have been studying Romans 9. I understand that the context of the chapter is on the election of the nation of Israel. But a calvinist would twist it to mean predestination of the saved/lost. I have some questions on your study on this chapter. I have a few things I am not understanding so I can't put the whole chapter together. I need your help.”

[I]
Rom 9:15 For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.[/i]

To whom is the mercy/compassion referring to?”

Rom 9:20 Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed [it], Why hast thou made me thus?
Rom
9:21 Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?
Rom 9:22 [What] if God, willing to shew [his] wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction:
Rom 9:23 And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory,
Rom 9:24 Even us, whom he hath called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?

What does it mean "made me thus"? What's the complaint? Is the vessel of wrath referring to just the pharoah? What how do you define "fitted"? and the meaning "fitted to destruction"? And lastly, what is the "glory" in v23 referring to?”

It has been a bit frustrating for me trying to sort through the maze of calvinism. Your explanation in this thread has been a great blessing to me. Thanks for your help.”

Tim
Aloha Brother Tim,

Before I answer your specific questions I want to establish some precepts and principles in “rightly dividing the word of truth”. There are some Scriptures that can “STAND ALONE” - that is, some verses (on their own) establish God’s truth without the necessity of corroborating verses (although there may be other verses that support the Scriptural precept or principle); and there are some Scriptures that if made toSTAND ALONE” (without corroboration, or if taken out of “context”) can lead to False Doctrine or Heresy.

A few “Examples” of Scriptures that can “STAND ALONE” follow:

Matthew 4:4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

Matthew 24:35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.

Psalms 12:6 The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.
7 Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.

Psalms 33:4 For the word of the LORD is right; and all his works are done in truth.

Psalms 138:2 I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name.

1 Corinthians 15:33 Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners.

Galatians 6:7 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.

1 John 5:12 He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.

There are literally hundreds of verses like those that I cited above that can “STAND ALONE”.

All of the verses that I cited can be “corroborated” with other verses, but, if cited, they can “STAND ALONE” because they establish an immutable Scriptural “precept” or “principle”. On the other hand, there are Scriptures (like some of those you cited) which if MADE TO “STAND ALONE” (without Scriptural corroboration), can be twisted, wrested, and taken out of context to satisfy a “private interpretation”, and which (as is often the case) can end up actually supporting “False Doctrine” or “Heresy”.

The mark of a CULT and/or a False Teacher (a Heretick) is when they take Scripture (containing “the mysteries of God”; or “the wisdom of God”; or “the deep things of God” – i.e. those things that the “natural man” cannot understand, “because they are spiritually discerned”) and MAKE IT “STAND ALONE” (without Scriptural corroboration) or TAKE IT OUT OF “CONTEXT” – in order to PROVE APRIVATE INTERPRETATION”. We must always be on guard against Heresy and False Teachers (Hereticks), and be extremely careful that we, ourselves, do NOT employ THEIR METHODS in our study of God’s Holy word.

Your question concerning:
Quote:
[I]Rom 9:15 For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.[/i]
To whom is the mercy/compassion referring to?
The quote that Paul is citing is from Exodus 33:19 – [Exodus 33:19 And he said, I will make all my goodness pass before thee, and I will proclaim the name of the LORD before thee; and will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will shew mercy on whom I will shew mercy.]

I believe that in the context of Exodus Chapter 33 the words are directed, first in regards to Moses and secondly to the nation of Israel (Read all of Exodus 33 1-23). You will notice that in Romans Chapter 9: 1-33 Paul first speaks about his “brethren”, his “kinsmen according to the flesh” {“Who are Israelites”}; he then goes over the written record in Exodus 33:1-23 and elsewhere in The “Oracles of God”, i.e. “the Scripture of truth”, and he makes some “spiritual comparisons” for Christians, and he also goes on to make some “spiritual applicationsto Christians (specifically – the “Gentile” Christians); that is Paul set forth the precept that God’s mercy, graciousness, and compassion are NOT LIMITED to the Jews ONLY. Paul would often cite “episodes” or “incidents” from the Old Testament which involved the Israelites and use them as “examples” or “ensamples” for us to learn by. [Romans 15:4; 1 Corinthians 10:6, 11] But what Paul did NOT do was to take Old Testament “DOCTRINE” - directed specifically at the Jews (and exclusively for the Jews) and make a “DOCTRINAL APPLICATION” to Gentile believers.

Paul is making SPIRITUAL comparisons between the children “of the flesh” and the children of “promise” (i.e. faith) and he is making a SPIRITUAL application to all those (Jews & Gentiles) who, by faith, are the genuine children of God. He is NOT teaching a New Testament DOCTRINE that “some are elected into salvation, others are not”! Please notice that the wordseternal life” and “salvation” can NOT be found in the entire Chapter 9 of the Book of Romans. And the word “saved” shows up only once [Romans 9:27] and is obviously in reference to a “remnant” of “the children of Israel” – NOT born again children of God. [Romans 9:27 Esaias also crieth concerning Israel, Though the number of the children of Israel be as the sand of the sea, a remnant shall be saved:]

In Romans 9:1-33 Paul has “great heaviness and continual sorrow” in his heart over the fact that the nation of Israel rejected Christ their Messiah & Saviour, but then he demonstrates, that just because Christ’s brethren (in the flesh) rejected Him, that didn’t prevent God, in His mercy, from blessing the Gentiles; that is those Gentiles, who believed on the Lord Jesus Christ, and who became the children of God “by faith”. God demonstrated that: He (God) “will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will shew mercy on whom I will shew mercy.” Paul is clearly teaching that God’s graciousness and mercy are not reserved for the Jews (in the flesh) ONLY, but that He (God) could choose whomsoever he wanted (regardless of their physical birth) to bestow His mercy upon.

The point that Paul was making was - just because a person was born a Jew (in the flesh) didn’t guarantee that they are a genuine child of God. Paul cites Hosea 2:23 (Romans 9:25-26); Isaiah 10:22-23 (Romans 9:27-28); Isaiah 1:9 (Romans 9:29); and Isaiah 8:14 (Romans 9:33) in making his point.

If you are studying the Book of Romans, you should be studying the “companion book” to Romans (The Book of Galatians) also. Much of what is taught in Romans will be corroborated, substantiated, and expounded on in the Book of Galatians also. If a “Christian” goes to a few verses in the Book of Romans and tries to make those verses “STAND ALONE”, you can be sure of one thing - they are trying to “persuade” you to their point of view (i.e. “private opinion”) on a spiritual issue that is extremely complex, and which CANNOT be settled by just one verse, or a handful of verses, taken (wrested) out of “context”.

Your next questions:
Quote:
Rom 9:20 Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed [it], Why hast thou made me thus?
Rom
9:21 Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?
Rom 9:22 [What] if God, willing to shew [his] wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction:
Rom 9:23 And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory,
Rom 9:24 Even us, whom he hath called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles
?

What does it mean "made me thus"? What's the complaint? Is the vessel of wrath referring to just the pharoah? What how do you define "fitted"? and the meaning "fitted to destruction"? And lastly, what is the "glory" in v23 referring to?”
In studying this complex issue, Christians must familiarize themselves with the Old Testament record of the people and events that Paul is writing about. In addition they must read ALL of Paul’s Epistles (to see what else he says about the issue); and they must not take this handful of Scriptures in Romans Chapter 9, without having a good grounding and familiarity with the whole Book of Romans (and the “companion” Book of Galatians).

We are commanded by the Lord Jesus Christ to “Search the Scriptures” [John 5:39]; and the Bereans were commended by Paul because they: “. . . . searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.” [Acts 17:11] When it comes to a “doctrine” as complex as “Calvinism”, we must do a whole lot of “searching” in order to arrive at the truth of God’s word.

I cannot answer your questions without first examining the preceding verses in Romans Chapter 9 (in order to establish the “context” of WHO & WHAT the Apostle Paul is writing about):

Quote:
Romans 9:1 I say the truth in Christ, I lie not, my conscience also bearing me witness in the Holy Ghost,
2 That I have great heaviness and continual sorrow in my heart.
3 For I could wish that myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh:
4 Who are Israelites; to whom pertaineth the adoption, and the glory, and the covenants, and the giving of the law, and the service of God, and the promises;
5 Whose are the fathers, and of whom as concerning the flesh Christ came, who is over all, God blessed for ever. Amen.
6 Not as though the word of God hath taken none effect. For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel:
7 Neither, because they are the seed of Abraham, are they all children: but, In Isaac shall thy seed be called.
8 That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God: but the children of the promise are counted for the seed.
It should be obvious to all that Paul is writing primarily about “the Jews” (Israelites/Hebrews – Paul’s “brethren” & “kinsmen according to the flesh”). He is testifying about the Jews “special relation” to the God of Scripture {Romans 9:1-5} and then demonstrates the difference between “the children of promise{Isaac} and “the children of the flesh{Ishmael}. Both were Abraham’s children (of Abraham’s physical “seed”), but only Isaac was considered the child of “promise” and “counted for the seed”. {The fact that God CHOSE the one above the other drives Humanists (lost or saved) crazy - they cannot accept that God chooses to bless some individuals and that he actually discriminates against others! [Romans 11:7, 25; 2Corinthians 3:14, 4:4; Ephesians 4:18 - John 9:39, 12:39-40; Romans 11:8; 2 Thessalonians 2:11] The problem (or question) remains – upon WHAT BASIS does God do His CHOOSING?}

Quote:
9 For this is the word of promise, At this time will I come, and Sara shall have a son.
10 And not only this; but when Rebecca also had conceived by one, even by our father Isaac;
11 (For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth
12 It was said unto her, The elder shall serve the younger.
13 As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.
And here is the “crux of the matter” with Calvinism. Did God just “pick” Jacob over Esau for no reason whatsoever? Calvinists believe that that is exactly what he did! Did God just arbitrarily choose to “LOVE” Jacob and “HATE” Esau - “without a cause”? [What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? God forbid.” Romans 9:14] If you have read my essays on Calvinism, you will know that I believe that God basis His “choosing” on His “Foreknowledge” [Romans 8:29]; and that God’s “foreknowledge” is NOT based on WHAT He “knew” (beforehand) we were going to DO (i.e. the “WORKS OF THE FLESH”), but that God’s “foreknowledge” is based on what God “knew” (beforehand) as to WHAT we would “BELIEVE” (an OPERATION or FUNCTION of THE HEART – NOT THE FLESH). [Romans 9:13]

As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.” You can be sure that God “knew” [1 kings 8:39; 2 Chronicles 6:30; 1 Chronicles 28:9; Luke 16:15; Acts 1:24; Acts 15:8; 1 John 3:20] beforehand that Esau “despised his “birthright” (in his heart) long before he carelessly threw it away and sold it for a mess of pottage (a work of the flesh). [Genesis 25:34] That is - God “knew”, even before Jacob and Esau were born, that Esau would “despise” (a function and operation of his heart) the “promise” of God, and God “hated” him for it!

In the context Paul is continuing his thesis: that the children of “promise” are “counted” as Abraham’s “seed” and NOT the children of the flesh. Both Jacob and Esau were of the physical “seed” of Isaac, and yet God CHOSE Jacob as the child of “promise” – NOT Esau! Is eternal life “in play” here? Is anything being said about eternal salvation? These verses are talking about God CHOOSING one child of the physical “seed” of Abraham [the child of “promise”] and rejecting another child of the physical “seed” of Abraham (the child of the “flesh”). Based on what? “that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth;

In order to understand what the preceding verse is speaking about, the first thing that has to be done is, we must try to determine (by the Scriptures) just exactly WHAT is the “PURPOSE” of God? We know that the “Purpose” is “according to election”. But is the “Purpose” (as spoken about here) about the eternal destiny of all of the souls of men from the beginning of creation up until now? I trow not! The “Purpose of God” (as spoken about here) has many facets, (a “pure seed”; a “perfect seed”, a “royal seed”; the “right seed”, i.e. the “seed” of “promise”), but overall the “purpose” (here in the context) was to insure that “the children of promise” would receive God’s blessing, and NOT “the children of the flesh”. {And WHY was it so? So that the “promise” would not (could not) be EARNED BY THE WORKS OF THE FLESH; but that it would be GIVEN BY GOD to those WHO BELIEVED GOD’S WORDS, and WHO (BY FAITH) TRUSTED IN HIM.}

And so in order that - “the purpose of God according to election might stand,God did not (in His “Foreknowledge”) base His “CHOOSING” on WHAT the physical “seed” of Abraham DID (or would DO in the future) IN THE FLESH, [i.e. not of works, but of him that calleth;”] But instead God (in His “Foreknowledge”) CHOSE “the children of promise” based on WHAT and WHO they BELIEVED (or would “BELIEVE” in the future - in their hearts). [Genesis 18:17-19]

Throughout this whole discourse the apostle Paul is leading up to WHY God has turned to the Gentiles, and made it possible for them to become “the children of promise” (because of their “BELIEF” in Jesus Christ); and WHY He has turned away from the nation of Israel, i.e. “the children of the flesh” (because of their “UNBELIEF” and their REJECTION of Jesus Christ – their Messiah & King - Romans 11:20-30). That is, Paul is taking examples of past events that happened to the Hebrews (Jews/Israelites – the physical “seed” of Abraham) from the Holy Scriptures and he is using them to demonstrate WHY the Gentiles (who “BELIEVE”) are also “the children of promise”, just like the Jews (who “BELIEVE”); and that just because a man is born a Jew does not insure that he is indeed one of the true “children of promise”. And not only that, in Paul’s Epistle to the Galatians Chapters 3 through 5 Paul explains HOW the death, burial, and resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ (The TRUE SEED of Abraham – Galatians 3:16) made it possible for not only BELIEVING Jews to become “the children of promise”, but that Christ’s sacrifice made it possible for ALL who BELIEVE in Him to become “the children of promise”. [1Timothy 4:10]

The whole discourse (in Romans Chapter 9) is NOT about individual “salvation” (i.e. “eternal life”), it’s about WHY God (lawfully & legitimately) turned to the Gentiles (because of Israel’s UNBELIEF- Romans 3:3 & 11:20) and HOW, when a Gentile BELIEVES the Gospel and receives the Lord Jesus Christ as his or her personal Saviour they are counted as “the children of promise”. [John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:]

Quote:
14 What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? God forbid.
15 For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.
16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.
17 For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth.
18 Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth.
As to hardening the heart of “Pharaoh” (the King of Egypt) and his “servants” and the Egyptian people:

COMPARE: Exodus 4:21; 7:3, 7:13-14, 7:22; 8:19; 9:7, 9:12, 10:1, 10:20, 10:27; 11:10; 14:4, 14:8 – WITH: Exodus 8:15 & 8:32

COMPARE: Exodus 9:34 WITH: Exodus 9:35

Exodus 9:34 And when Pharaoh saw that the rain and the hail and the thunders were ceased, he sinned yet more, and hardened his heart, he and his servants.

Exodus 9:35 And the heart of Pharaoh was hardened, neither would he let the children of Israel go; as the LORD had spoken by Moses.

COMPARE: 1Samuel 6:6 WITH:Exodus 14:17 & Exodus 7:3

1 Samuel 6:6 Wherefore then do ye harden your hearts, as the Egyptians and Pharaoh hardened their hearts? when he had wrought wonderfully among them, did they not let the people go, and they departed?

Exodus 14:17 And I, behold, I will harden the hearts of the Egyptians, and they shall follow them: and I will get me honour upon Pharaoh, and upon all his host, upon his chariots, and upon his horsemen.

Exodus 7:3 And I will harden Pharaoh's heart, and multiply my signs and my wonders in the land of Egypt.

The preceding verses (and the ones immediately following) require careful study, and we are commanded to “rightly divide” them. Is there a “contradiction” in the Bible? - Of course not. Pharaoh and the Egyptians “hardened” their hearts, and God (in turn) “hardened” their hearts! Since God “knows all things”, don’t you know that He “knew” ahead of time that Pharaoh would harden his heart? God doesn’t act arbitrarily (like men); and He doesn’t act unrighteously. If He hates someone, it’s because their hearts are dark and evil. If He hardens someone’s heart, it’s because they are determined (in their heart) to ignore his words to begin with.

Quote:
19 Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will?
20 Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus?
21 Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?
22 What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction:
23 And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory,
24 Even us, whom he hath called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?
And now on to your questions:

The accusation: “Why hast thou made me thus?” is the unjust “accusation” of an unbelieving and unrepentant sinner; that whatever sin or evil they commit – it’s “ALL God’s FAULT!

What's the complaint?” – The “complaint” is much the same as the “accusation”! I’m sure you’ve heard the psychobabble: “I can’t help it”; “it’s not my fault”; “I can’t control myself”, etc.; etc. The “complaint” is the EXCUSE that – “God made me this way” (it’s in thegenes”); or “I had terrible parents”; or “I was deprived as a child”; “my environment shaped me”; etc.; etc., and so there is NOTHING I can do about it. It’s ALL God’s FAULT! Much like Cain before:

Genesis 4:6 And the LORD said unto Cain, Why art thou wroth? and why is thy countenance fallen?
7 If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him.

Is the vessel of wrath referring to just the pharoah?” -Please notice, the verse says “vessels (plural) of wrath - of which Pharaoh is a perfect EXAMPLE.

What how do you define "fitted"? I have a RULE when it comes to defining Bible words: If the word in question has “spiritual” significance – I let the Scriptures define its meaning. If a word is “archaic” or perhaps not used much today, I use Webster’s 1828 Dictionary to define words that do not determine doctrine. “Fitted” simply means”:
Quote:
FITTED, pp. Made suitable; adapted; prepared; qualified.
the meaning "fitted to destruction" – Notice WHAT HAPPENED to Pharaoh and his army. Again God has shown us an example of THE ULTIMATE END OF ALL THOSE WHO OPPOSE HIS WILL.

Our God is a Sovereign God. He often uses “vessels of wrath” to fulfill His will: Nebuchadnezzar (pagan king of Babylon) is called (by God) “my servant” [Jeremiah 27:6]; Cyrus (a pagan king of Persia) is called (by God) “my shepherd” [Isaiah 44:28] and “his {God’s} anointed” [Isaiah 45:1]; Darius (a pagan King of Media & Persia) was used of God to fulfill His purposes [Daniel 6:25-27]; God not only uses and blesses “the vessels of mercy”; He also uses and curses “the vessels of wrath”. Ultimately “His Will” – will be done! And He will use whomsoever He will to get it accomplished.

what is the "glory" in v23 referring to?” – Ultimately God is going to receive ALL GLORY. Whether it be from His creation; His creatures; His people (“the vessels of mercy”); or “the vessels of wrath”. God is going tomake known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory” [Romans 9:23] Someday God is going reveal to ALL (all of mankind) just how loving, merciful, and longsuffering He has been, by bestowing the “riches of His glory” on His people (the vessels of mercy), undeserving as they (we) are! And He will receive “GLORY” because of this act of GRACE (Undeserved Favor).

These verses illustrate that God “chooses” to bless some people and curse others. However, they do NOT tell us WHY (His basis) God chooses to bless some and curse others, nor do they tell us HOW (His methodology) He chooses. But the Bible has made it perfectly clear that His “choosing” is NOT based on something we DO, i.e. THE WORKS OF THE FLESH [Romans 9:11]

The Calvinist’s would have us believe that God just “arbitrarily” decides (based on NOTHING other than His “sovereign will”) WHO He will bless and WHO He will curse. I believe that the basis of God’s “choosing” is founded on the fact that although - “For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;” [Romans 3:23], there are some people ((“the vessels of wrath”, i.e. the children of the flesh”) who “choose”, in their heart, NOT to believe God or His words and there are others (“the vessels of mercy”, i.e. “the children of promise”), WHO “choose”, in their heart, to BELIEVE God, and WHO have placed their FAITH IN HIM. And although (in the flesh) there is no difference between the two (both are sinners and come short of the glory of God – Romans 3:23), God “chooses” to bless those who BELIEVE (in their heart) in Him and in His words; and He has “chosen” to curse those who REFUSE to BELIEVE (in their heart) in Him or in His words.

1 Corinthians 1:26 For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:
27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:
29 That no flesh should glory in his presence.
30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:
31 That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

The preceding verses explain our “calling”, i.e. the “calling of God”. Within these verses we can see “the PURPOSE of God” and can understand WHY the basis of God’s “choosing” CANNOT be “OF WORKS” - but of him that calleth;”! [Romans 9:11]. The reason WHY God “chooses” the way He does (i.e. “the purpose of God according to election”) is so: That no flesh should glory in his presence.” and That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.”

When it comes to salvation under the “New Covenant” - I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: “Now, I believe that there is NOTHING we can DO to EARN God’s Salvation; but there is SOMETHING that we MUST DO to RECEIVE God’s Salvation – WE MUST FIRST BELIEVE! THE QUESTION IS: . . . Sirs, WHAT MUST I DO to be saved?” THE BIBLICAL ANSWER: “And they said, BELIEVE on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.” [Acts 16:30-31]

However, in the context of this Chapter Paul is not writing about the salvation of the individual. He is talking about the fact that not only are the Jews the “called” of God, but the Gentiles are the “called” of God also. “Even us, whom he hath called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?[Romans 9:24] This whole chapter (along with Galatians Chapters 3 through 5) is an explanation or an exposition and justification as to WHY the Gentiles (who believed the Gospel) are also “the children of promise”, i.e. the sons of God.

In Paul’s day there were many Jews who believed the Gospel and who were genuinely saved (i.e. born again), but who also did not (or could not) understand WHY God had also “called” or “chosen” the Gentiles (who believed the Gospel). This Chapter is Paul’s (under the guidance of the Holy Spirit) explanation as to WHY. It is NOT an explanation or description of individual salvation.

Quote:
25 As he saith also in Osee, I will call them my people, which were not my people; and her beloved, which was not beloved.
26 And it shall come to pass, that in the place where it was said unto them, Ye are not my people; there shall they be called the children of the living God.
27 Esaias also crieth concerning Israel, Though the number of the children of Israel be as the sand of the sea, a remnant shall be saved:
28 For he will finish the work, and cut it short in righteousness: because a short work will the Lord make upon the earth.
29 And as Esaias said before, Except the Lord of Sabaoth had left us a seed, we had been as Sodoma, and been made like unto Gomorrha.
30 What shall we say then? That the Gentiles, which followed not after righteousness, have attained to righteousness, even the righteousness which is of faith.
31 But Israel, which followed after the law of righteousness, hath not attained to the law of righteousness.
32 Wherefore? Because they sought it not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumblingstone;
33 As it is written, Behold, I lay in Sion a stumblingstone and rock of offence: and whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.
There is so much more, but I don’t have the time (or the space) to expound any further. And truthfully, I feel inadequate to comment on some of these things because there is much that I still do not fully understand myself.

I recommend that as you study the Book of Romans that you also study the Book of Galatians along with it. If a Christian can “get a grip” on these two Books of the Bible they will never wander too far off from “sound doctrine”. But like Peter has said about Paul’s Epistles: there “are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.” [2 Peter 3:16] If Peter had a hard time understanding some of Paul’s writings, don’t get discouraged if you don’t understand all of what he wrote.

Believe what you do understand (doubting nothing), and that which you don’t understand – leave for another day or another time. Although I have been a Christian for over 50 years, God has opened up my understanding to certain matters in the Scriptures in the last 3 years that I had very little idea about before. Be patient and don’t “force” Scripture into a “theological construct” or a “Denominational box” so that you can "MAKE" it understandable.

2 Peter 3:13 Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.
14 Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of him in peace, without spot, and blameless.
15 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;
16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.
17 Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness.
18 But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.