View Single Post
Old 02-24-2009, 05:49 PM

I did not start this thread to start an uproar, I guess that is impossible to avoid.

I personally believe the KJB to be the Word of God. I believe that a holy and just God would preserve his word. And each word is important. For example, Genesis 1:5 in the KJV reads:

Gen 1:5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

The RSV has this:

Gen 1:5 God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And there was evening and there was morning, one day.

Now there is a BIG difference between "the first day" and "one day". The "first day" can only mean one specific day, whereas "one day" can mean ANY day.

Does this make a difference? In my opinion, yes. You could insert any number of days, or even billions of years between Gen 1:1 and Gen 1:5 in the RSV. But with the KJV we know that God created the heavens and the earth in one single 24 hour day. Big difference.

The six day creation account is already altered and takes on a new meaning. In Gen 1:8 in the KJV we understand "the second day" as the very next day.

Gen 8 And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day.

However, in the RSV it says "a second day".

Gen 1:8 And God called the firmament Heaven. And there was evening and there was morning, a second day.

This could mean the next following day, but it could also just mean another day, with thousands, millions, or even billions of years inbetween.

We have only gotten 8 verses into the Bible, and the ages old question of where did man come from, and how did life originate has been altered.

The creationist believes God created all creation in six literal consecutive 24 hour days. Those using the RSV could very well agree with evolutionists that the earth and life formed over billions of years. Big difference.

Does this matter for salvation? Maybe not. But God wants us to go further than just being saved.

2 Tim 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Now how can you study and rightly divide the word of truth, unless you have the word of truth?

You see, even in 2 Timothy 2:15 God is saying that he has preserved His Word.

When folks say there is no perfect version, they are calling God a liar. I personally have trouble believing that someone who calls God a liar is saved. I am not talking about a babe in Christ. I am talking about those who have made a study of the subject.