Thread: I Corinthians 5
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda S. View Post
Now fornication!? THAT's the big sin...Drunkard...that one too. But covetous?! Nope, never ever heard that a brother was "put away from" the brethren for being covetous...A railer? I've known quite a few in my lifetime...never once saw them turned away from fellowship.

Anyway, I certainly would feel unqualified to put away someone that was covetous!?
I realize that I am coming late to the party, but I have enjoyed reading the responses thus far. Please allow me to add just a few of my thoughts.

It is my opinion that Paul's list is not all-inclusive. He has not limited our actions to be bound to these few sins. I believe Paul is making reference to "habitual" sins. If a brother is bound to any sin and does not seem to respond to efforts to help him get victory over his sin, then he must be dealt with accordingly, as Paul states.

Regarding categorizing sins, it seems that there is a progression in the Word of God.

Ps 19:12 Who can understand his errors? cleanse thou me from secret faults.
13 Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me: then shall I be upright, and I shall be innocent from the great transgression.

If we can reach a brother before he slips into the deeper sins, we have a more likely chance to restore him to fellowship. It is clear that some sins carry a greater earthly consequence than other sins. It is also clear that God deals with certain sins differently as well. One has only to look at the awful consequences faced by Ananias and Sapphira for lying, compared to King David for committing what, humanly speaking, are much greater sins.