View Single Post
Old 07-24-2008, 08:33 PM

Hi Folks,

Now I want to repeat one point for Connie, a bit more slowly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Avery
the Greek lexicon of Bauer updated by Frederick William Danker, which discussed awareness of, seeing, a gnat and making effort .. rather than simply passive straining .. without any note or comment by yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie
all I can answer is that this is a perfect example of the typical speculation I was talking about. Can't you see that this is speculation and interpretation? It's clearly an attempt to make sense of the fact that the text has "strain at" but the Greek means filtering.
Yet, Connie, as I have tried to share with you, such a lexicon is not based on the English Authorized Version. You are simply again factually wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BDAG

The Bauer-Danker Lexicon (ISBN 0226039331) is among the most highly respected dictionaries of biblical Greek

Connie, these lectionaries are textcrit favorites, and this one is translated from German to English. They have no sympathy toward the King James Bible. Yet you handwave even such a resource as part of a King James Bible apologetic conspiracy (no other word is as accurate for your attempt at perfunctory dismissal of all in-depth scholarship that supports 'strain at') when mentioned in the "strain at" context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connie
This is what everybody is doing with this passage, Will Kinney, you, etc., but it's strained reasoning. But if you accept it as authoritative then nothing I say about its being strained reasoning is going to be persuasive.
The ultra-strained reasoning is how you make a textual work on the Greek language, written in German, into an apologetic for the historic English Bible, the Authorized Version, that is not part of that work, nor even respected in textcrit circles (which have a propensity for flights of liberal and textually confused fancy).

It is one thing to say that the Danker-Bauer lexicon evidence is not conclusive, or is only one item to be weighed, or even to contend that it is not being properly balanced, understood, presented .. fair enough.

However to dismiss it the way you do, as King James Bible fanciful and speculative apologetics based on an a priori attempt to defend 'strain at' is so silly as to make normal silly into totally sensible and reasonable.

Shalom,
Steven

Last edited by Steven Avery; 07-24-2008 at 08:41 PM.