View Single Post
Old 07-23-2008, 01:18 PM
Connie

Yes, we can let it fly away. I'll take it eventually to some other site because I still need to get some answers.

Steven, I don't think I was clear about my answer to you. You are continuing and elaborating that same interpretation Will Kinney and others give, about how using a strainer in case there might be a gnat is making an unnecessary exertion. I don't see it although you say you think I recognized it. You make quite a plausibility out of it by bringing in other teachings and parables of Jesus, but really there is no necessity of including those in this one.

There is no special exertion involved in pouring your soup or drink through a strainer. When we read "strain at" I really do not think most of us picture anything having to do with filtering or trying to filter a gnat out of a drink. I never had that context in mind when I read it, and neither do the commentators mentioned, John Gill and Matthew Henry. Using a strainer simply does not enter into the discussion at all when dealing with the phrase "strain at" because we know that means to exert onself and does not imply the context of filtering -- that would just not occur to us. They are two separate words in all our minds and the attempt to make them into one just doesn't work, it is strained reasoning as I have said many times.

And again, even less strained conjecture isn't going to deal with this question anyway if you are trying to talk to people who don't think the KJB has to be perfect at every point of the translation in order to be God's word. What is needed is objective evidence. And again, you claim it has been produced but I haven't seen it.