View Single Post
Old 07-22-2008, 07:22 PM
Connie

I can only answer you as I usually do, Brother Tim. Finding an error of any kind in the KJB does not at all to my mind mean settling for 99.44% pure and doubting God. Far from it. I consider the KJB to be God's word. This particular issue is, however, the very first I've run across that hints at a difference in actual meaning, although in practice we all grasp the proverbial sense of it nevertheless. Other changes I've thought might possibly be necessary don't involve a difference in meaning but simply the substitution of a contemporary English term that conveys exactly the same meaning to us now as the one that was used in 1611 did to the people then. NO change in meaning. I have to admit that I tend to judge the old words as I encounter them in the KJB as fine just as they are without any changes needed so that if I end up with a list at all it's going to be a very very short one.

Since we do grasp the meaning of the teaching about the gnat and the camel even if we do not have the precise context in mind that the original writers had, perhaps it's best not to consider that a change is needed at all. I'm still mulling this over.

I'm not interested in hunting down errors in the KJB for their own sake as you imply. This one struck me as a new kind of problem I would have to explain to people I'm trying to defend the KJB to, so I want to understand it well. What I'm interested in is finding the truth about the translation problems so that I can denounce the new versions intelligently enough to open people's eyes and defend the KJB intelligently enough to be convincing to true Christians who are under the spell of the new versions, and I know they exist. They are not all rebels as so many here seem to prefer to think. They are God's people doing their best under a handicap. I fully believe that the KJB is God's word in the fullest sense, and that the new versions are a horrific mutilation of God's word that ought to be challenged as effectively as we possibly can, and simply declaring that there are no errors in the KJB at all isn't going to serve that purpose. If I can find a way to defend "strain at" that makes sense, I will certainly defend it.