View Single Post
Old 07-02-2008, 07:10 AM

Connie, with respect to those far-past Godly men whose writings and teachings were so strong, yet they seemed to embrace alterations to the Bible of their day without awareness:

I believe that this characteristic is true in many areas, tracing back to the Bible itself. There were honored men of the OT who did things that we today would find absolutely against Scripture (e.g. Abraham, Jacob, David with multiple wives) because in their day, the understanding was absent or hidden by customs of the day. The same was true in the NT. Peter was clearly given evidence of God's acceptance of the gentiles, yet he had trouble seeing the error of his bias against them until he was rebuked by Paul.

Today, there are similar behaviors. When my father was young, everyone smoked. I can remember him sitting in his study with a pipe in his mouth. We participated in halloween, and went along with santa claus at Christmas. But there came a time when his and our eyes were opened and we understood the contradicting behavior.

I believe it was the same with men like Spurgeon. They were caught up with the newness of the matter, and may have even innocently thought (like someone near and dear) that some slight changes would be beneficial. I would hope that if these men were transported to today's environment, they would have wisdom to see what has happened and that they would be on the forefront of the defense for the purity of the KJB.