View Single Post
Old 04-28-2008, 09:18 PM

It does not insert the superscript 'p' into those verses. Just changes the 'eth' to 's'. Guess that might be a deal-breaker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry View Post
The "eth" ending on verbs means it is present tense, ongoing, continual - which makes more sense than when someone just puts an "s" at the end of a verb.
(I inserted this 'rule' into the verses jerry quoted, below-pneuby)

Quote:
John 3:18 He that believeth{& continues to believe} on him is not condemned: but he that believeth{& continues to believe} not is condemned already,

John 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth {& continues to HEAR?} my word, and believeth{& continues to believe} on him that sent me, hath{& continues to have} everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

John 6:40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth{& continues to SEE?} the Son, and believeth{& continues to believe} on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up..

Seems to me that it gets a bit awkward in those latter two. The Lord is now at the Father's right hand. It's not like we can continue to 'hear' him, nor 'see' him. The word remains for us to read, or hear from others like our pastors and teachers. We are encouraged to be become more Christ-like, so that others may 'see' Christ in us.

Quote:
A true believer will continue believing. Someone that says, "I used to believe in Jesus" but now is rejecting the faith was never a true believer.
The 'keep on' rendering of the verses that you imply, and your last quote, imply a Lordship view of salvation. I believe the Word is pretty clear about free grace, despite the redundancy of that term. Yes, I think that some CAN, in fact, believe unto their salvation. Then, as in the parable of the wheat and the tares, squander God's opportunity for them in a Christian walk. I don't for a moment believe they've lost their salvation, nor that they simply never had it to begin with. I do believe that they will understand what it means to feel shame, up close and personal at the Bema Seat.