View Single Post
Old 04-28-2008, 03:47 PM
Connie

Thank you for that post, pneuby, and the links, which I have bookmarked.

I'm one who thinks we should have an updated edition of the King James, a very carefully updated edition of course (and preferably Church-authorized), and it sounds like it's worth looking into this one. Apart from the updated words, if it is identical to the Cambridge edition that is recommended by most at this site, it would be close to what I want.

Of course we all have our druthers, and personally I'd rather keep the thees and thous because they do have meaning (although the solution of the superscript "p" is an interesting one).

I don't see the validity of the argument Jerry gave for keeping the "eth" endings as it seems to me the modern plural "s" or "es" does mean the same thing -- just as ongoing and continual as the old form.

I don't personally have a problem with most of the archaic words, but some people do. I'd like to see them officially updated rather than defined in the margins. However, just because we are so used to the old language by now, most of them shouldn't be changed anyway -- there's no reason to change Thou shalt not to You shall not, it seems to me.

And, finally, I'm not a fan of the red letter versions, because, really, the whole Bible is God's word.

My druthers duly aired, I hope someone here who has the knowledge to evaluate the Bible will take you up on your offer.

(P.S. Yes, George, my "druthers" are irrelevant, I know. I could give an objective argument for all my recommendations if you like, but so could others who disagree with me.)

Last edited by Connie; 04-28-2008 at 03:53 PM.