View Single Post
Old 04-28-2008, 12:27 PM
Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuby View Post
While I'm not a fan of Bible 'helps', I'm enamored with the few in this one. For the archaic words, they underline them, and include a possible modern equivalent succinctly at the end of each verse, or each column of versuses where the word/s appear more than once.
Jerry gave an excellent and simple explanation for the thee's, ye's and eth endings. As you read through the Bible you can see the importance of determining whether the audience is a particular person or a group of people. The modern English language is lacking in this way. In the original languages you would also be able to tell if the audience were singular or plural. I didn't realize before the importance of the eth ending. Thanks Jerrry!

I just wanted to add that a better way to understand the archaic words would be to purchase a Defined King James Bible. The archaic words are in bold with definitions below the pages. This way you do not disrupt the integrity of the text of the KJB.

http://www.biblefortoday.org/kj_bibles.asp
Quote:
Originally Posted by www.biblefortoday.org
The Authorized King James Version of the Bible has been, and continues to be, the God honored, most accurate, and best translation from the proper original language texts of the inspired, inerrant, infallible, and authoritative Word of God for the English-speaking nations.

Don't throw the baby out with the bath water! Keep the excellent rhythm, cadence, and reliability of the Faithful Old King James Bible. Simply add to it footnoted definitions of uncommon words and what do you get? You get the Defined King James Bible. This Bible uses footnotes to define virtually all of the archaic, obsolete, difficult, or uncommon words in the King James Bible.

To date, over 54,000 copies of our Defined King James Bible have been printed and distributed in various places throughout the world.