View Single Post
Old 02-18-2008, 09:50 AM
Scaramouche

"Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:
But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also." Matthew 5:38

Notice that Jesus anticipates the one who would ask "What do you mean 'Resist not evil?' " by immediately offering the answer " whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also"

This doesn't leave any room for retaliation. Some might argue that this is for individuals and not nations. However, nations are made up of individuals.

Furthermore:

"Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.
But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven"
Matthew 5:43-45a

I want to suggest hat it is VERY DIFFICULT to "love your neighbor" when you have an M16 pointed at their head with an intent to kill them.
Was this Jesus' way...obviously not "To me belongeth vengeance and recompense..." Deuteronomy 32:35a

P.S. When Jesus states "Ye have heard it said..." who had they heard "it" from? From God Himself! So Jesus is basically saying that that was the way things were in the beginning but now things have changed (Old Covenant/New Covenant).
Paul expounds on this in 1 Corinthians 12:31-13:13. He tells us to "...covet earnestly the best gifts..." and then says "...and yet I shew you a more excellent way."
And what is this "more excellent way".

Love.

And he takes 13 verses to illustrate the more excellent way to us.