View Single Post
Old 02-18-2008, 12:00 AM
ok.book.guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chette777 View Post
One of the best things that helped in my Study of my Bible was an Unabridged Websters dictionary.
I have gone with the 1828 Noah Webster's American Dictionary of the English Language. The KJV defender I bought it from told me he can always tell when someone is really starting to get into the bible because that's the reference they will acquire.

It says alot about one's respect for God's word in English when he turns to an english dictionary first before turning to a greek lexicon. Back when I used to play the greek game, I always consulted 3 lexicons (sometimes more). But when it finally sank down into my understanding that I have God's word in english and I don't have to try to get "closer to it" by appealing to a greek lexicon, i got rid of my lexicons and quit playing the greek game.

NOTE: If one is reading God's word in greek, then I would keep a lexicon handy. I wouldn't consult websters in that case (as if anyone would). But, but the same reasoning, if one is reading God's word in english, I would keep the webster's dictionary handy. I wouldn't consult a greek lexicon.

I have a simple Smith's Bible Dictionary, and Cruden's concordance (pub circa 1930 so its an old one). I tend to use JFB for a simple commentary that I turn to if I have been doing some reading and there's too much left open in my mind about it. I use John Gill when I need a deeper more verbose commentary.

Last edited by ok.book.guy; 02-18-2008 at 12:05 AM.