View Single Post
Old 07-11-2009, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripdood View Post
I was raised in a Bible Believing home. My dad never once in all the time I was around him ever used anything but a King James Bible (Old Scofield). Dad was raised a Mennonite and was very strong in his beliefs. We attended a Baptist church because it was closer to home. Dad also attended there until later in life, he and mom went to a Church of God (Andersonville Indiana flavored).

When I was called to preach, he always supported me though we did have some lively discussions about some things. The one we discussed the most was Eternal Security. Dad believed you could lose it, I didn't then and I still don't to this day.

I gave the above just for background of where dad was coming from. I was never able to give him a solid answer about the following verses:

Ex. 32:32 Yet now, if thou wilt forgive their sin--; and if not, blot me, I pray thee, out of thy book which thou hast written.
33 And the LORD said unto Moses, Whosoever hath sinned against me, him will I blot out of my book.

Rev. 3:5 He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

I am asking this out of curiosity as well as seeking more understanding myself.

I believe we are sealed in our salvation and we can not lose it, I just never could explain these verses to dad.
Hi Ripdood,

Greetings in Christ from the Philippines!

I know your concern about your father and I will pray for him. Now for your question about the above verses, I would like to share slight insights. Looking first in Exodus 32, we can tell that this is not concerning for us Christian or of the Church age. It has to do with the people of God in the Old testament who are the Israelites. I agree in that these particular text speaks to Moses by the LORD and it only concerned his people of old. The context has nothing to do with us or in our age.

Now, for the Revelation, the message of Revelation 3: 1-6 is to the church located in Sardis. Christ specifically noted the works of this church, while still exists the church ministry and its services are dead. It does not "grow in grace and in the knowledge...". It's not concern about lost souls. In general,the church is not growing in quality and in quantity. Christ commanded those that remain to be watchful and strengthen one another as they are ever ready to die for his(Christ) sake. In verse 3, they needed to remember those things they have received and heard and hold fast unto them and to changed their mind (repent) about the ministry or the work of God. The remnants found in these church are overcomers and they were clothed in white raiment, these are actually those who have been washed by the blood of Christ and wore a white raiment. These overcomers, saved and washed by the blood of Christ were assured that his name will not be blotted out from the book of life, which was an indeed an assurance of salvation not a threat to lose their salvation.